• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weather forecasts for towns vs mountain

Codger

Booting up
Skier
When you look at weather forecasts that show for example rain/showers in aspen do you assume that is true for the mountain also or do you make some type of adjustment?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I use the point forecast for the Summit and midway up the mountain. The town forecast is useless. The NOAA site provides a map you can click on, but I use the latitude and longitude in an app that pulls from NOAA.
Screenshot_20190323-102240~2.png

For current observations, I use the weather station actually on the mountain and the great web cams.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
gonna be far different. I just left aspen, and 2miles away at the airport, no precip and more clear vs dumping in town and on the mountain.
when a system hits a range it completely interacts with the mountain, socks it in and dumps.

personally I also check snow-forecast as it has a elevation widgets so you can see base mid and summit forecasts. I don't know what model it pulls from but its just automated from the data and does not do local corrections.

For a resort though, generally I will trust the resorts weather report as primary source for what to wear and so on.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Another resource, that may be available in other areas as well, is local telemetry taken at various spots. The coastal PNW has a site that covers most of the ski areas in Western Washington and Oregon, and at least some in Canada (I have not explored this option yet).

Here's the URL: http://www.localsnow.org/aval.php

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
agree, for sure opensnow for snow forecast and predicting storms
But for temps and wind and day of conditions, somewhy I find myself veering to the resort's page or snow-forecast more than opensnow

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
other than ones noted about for near term weather:

I've called the on slope condo (managed) I was staying at for current conditions and the trends/report they've heard ... handy when traveling in and hoping to get on slope report and near by roads. The folks working skied and/or talked with guests daily/hourly about conditions and typically keep up to date on the overall forecast.

Sponsor

Staff online