• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy story @Crudmaster ... glad you're still here. Do you still know the joke about heaven, hell, Italian lovers and English cooks?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
This year after reading threads on here. I tried the Gingko..(Dr Polaner's article) I have always upped my water consumption before and while on ski trips and avoided alcohol. I've never had the headaches but did get winded and very sleepy up at Sun Valley last year.

This year I added the gingko and took it all winter long prior to going and out west. I ate 3 60mg tabs a day and out west I ate 4+ the first few days or if i was feeling tired. (I was west for 10-12day each month) I felt it helped me a lot. I wasn't out of breathe as in the prior years when hiking to ski nor just walking around. Sleep still disjointed the first couple of nights at altitude (8-9K+) but got better every trip.

And I was able to have a glass of wine/beer (or 2) which in prior years I avoided all alcohol after being so tired if I had any alcohol. Maybe it will help others?

Good info here and as @Crudmaster reported. yes you can die.... glad you are OK!!! so sad reading about the 20yr hiker!

Last edited:

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
Wow, that was a gnarly story @Crudmaster, have you had any other altitude problems since then? Also do you still stroll around naked in shared hotel rooms? You could be great entertainment at the next Gathering.ogwink

I climbed Rainier on assignment again a couple of years later, but didn't haul a 65-lb pack up 5000 vertical feet two days in a row. And didn't have a problem. But I did use diamox prophylactically.

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
I went to Lake City, Colorado (8,661 feet) a few times growing up (only in the summer) where my grandparents had a cabin. I never got sick and the only negative effect from altitude that I can remember was getting out of breath a lot faster compared to my flatland home (at that time) in Texas.

Now it's been over twenty years since I've been in the Rockies. In regards to time to acclimate to altitude, would it be dumb to plan a short trip to Colorado - where I would fly to Denver on a Thursday or Friday - ski the next day, maybe two, then fly back home? I'm talking strictly on piste stuff.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Probably won’t acclimate in a day or two. You most likely will still feel shortness of breath. You may or may not experience other symptoms of altitude like headache. If you’re in good shape physically I’d give it a try. You’ll know how to plan for future visits

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Time changes your ability to deal with altitude. Your 20 y.o. history with altitude may not relate to your current ability to deal with it. The only way to know is to try going to elevation again. Even long time locals to Summit County, CO develop oxygenation problems.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Now it's been over twenty years since I've been in the Rockies. In regards to time to acclimate to altitude, would it be dumb to plan a short trip to Colorado - where I would fly to Denver on a Thursday or Friday - ski the next day, maybe two, then fly back home? I'm talking strictly on piste stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. But I would also plan for it...hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Skip the alcohol, eat well (especially easily metabolized foods like carbs). You can always pick up a can of Boost Oxygen from the grocery store or pharmacy when you get there...helps quite a bit if you start developing a headache. Plan on the possibility of taking it easy on the slopes, be prepared to call it quits early if needed and listen to your body if it needs a break.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I went to Lake City, Colorado (8,661 feet) a few times growing up (only in the summer) where my grandparents had a cabin. I never got sick and the only negative effect from altitude that I can remember was getting out of breath a lot faster compared to my flatland home (at that time) in Texas.

Nah, that's fine. Just remember a few things:

1. No alcohol
2. Drink twice as much water as you think you need
3. Consume lots of salt

You'll still find yourself a little out of breath, but you'll probably be just fine.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Firstly let me clarify the following is what Ive come to learn so Im only repeating what Ive collectively gathered from reading a lot about the topic and how I am to understand it..

Hydration helps fix dehydration and is often confused with altitude issues but is not the same. Its not uncommon to hear how everything was fine the first day but then the second day I/we felt sick.
Its a dry climate and not only does perspiration allow moisture to leave the body via evaporation but every breath exhales moisture all day and while we sleep. If there is no humidifier in the bedroom/hotelroom/etc...and you also don't drink a lot (lots) of water many often feel badly the second day but that's really only after spending a day and then a night becoming too dehydrated. Symptoms can be similar to altitude symptoms and if one has both its even worse but not the same.

I normally go to the bathroom to urinate a lot of times per day as I tend to normally drink a lot of water. When I was in CO (sleeping at 8k and skiing up to 12K) I was drinking much more than my usual normal large consumption of water and yet didn't have to urinate but only about half as much if that. The first thing I did was make sure we had working humidifiers in both rooms running 24/7 and bought gallons of water (in addition to using tap water) . Pushed my family hard to drink water the day before we even lleft the east coast and all the way throughout the trip. I did a lot of investigating and eliminating the possible dehydration issues is the one thing that can be done so that it doesn't become its own issue nor be confused or added to any altitude problems.

Other than that we all had a small O2 spray can but honestly I was the only one truly out of breath at times. So I tended to use most all of them up..lol. Thankfully none of us suffered anything other than a little shortness of breath (me being the worst). But no one (including myself) with headaches or anything at all to ruin a great time and vacation. One can drink alot of water , stay hydrated and still have altitude sicknesses. But its two different things and dehydration is often enough something that many people suffer from thinking its altitude sickness. Either way they both would outright suck to have of course. But making great efforts to eliminate dehydration is what we can actually help to control and eliminate that from the scenario. The other there isn't too much we can do about.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Firstly let me clarify the following is what Ive come to learn so Im only repeating what Ive collectively gathered from reading a lot about the topic and how I am to understand it..

Hydration helps fix dehydration and is often confused with altitude issues but is not the same. Its not uncommon to hear how everything was fine the first day but then the second day I/we felt sick.
Its a dry climate and not only does perspiration allow moisture to leave the body via evaporation but every breath exhales moisture all day and while we sleep. If there is no humidifier in the bedroom/hotelroom/etc...and you also don't drink a lot (lots) of water many often feel badly the second day but that's really only after spending a day and then a night becoming too dehydrated. Symptoms can be similar to altitude symptoms and if one has both its even worse but not the same.

I normally go to the bathroom to urinate a lot of times per day as I tend to normally drink a lot of water. When I was in CO (sleeping at 8k and skiing up to 12K) I was drinking much more than my usual normal large consumption of water and yet didn't have to urinate but only about half as much if that. The first thing I did was make sure we had working humidifiers in both rooms running 24/7 and bought gallons of water (in addition to using tap water) . Pushed my family hard to drink water the day before we even lleft the east coast and all the way throughout the trip. I did a lot of investigating and eliminating the possible dehydration issues is the one thing that can be done so that it doesn't become its own issue nor be confused or added to any altitude problems.

Other than that we all had a small O2 spray can but honestly I was the only one truly out of breath at times. So I tended to use most all of them up..lol. Thankfully none of us suffered anything other than a little shortness of breath (me being the worst). But no one (including myself) with headaches or anything at all to ruin a great time and vacation. One can drink alot of water , stay hydrated and still have altitude sicknesses. But its two different things and dehydration is often enough something that many people suffer from thinking its altitude sickness. Either way they both would outright suck to have of course. But making great efforts to eliminate dehydration is what we can actually help to control and eliminate that from the scenario. The other there isn't too much we can do about.
You are absolutely right that altitude and dry climate exacerbate dehydration. But tjat dehydration is not the same as altitude sickness. Alcohol also exacerbates dehydration, hence the no alcohol advice.

We don't have humidifiers but something that really helps in the house is bowls of water. You can place them on the vents if its forced air. Or a metal bowl of water on the gas/pellet/whatever stove. You can refill a large bowl every few hours. No substitute for true humidifiers, but better than nothing.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hey you know me, I stand on a chair and I have trouble breathing. Anything above 5000 and I start to feel it ,just a bit but I know. When we go higher it is hard to inflate the lungs ,the air just cant fill them and it actually hurts. After a few days I seem to be OK but those first few are nasty.
I get head aches sometimes and im gunna say dizzy but its not like spinning when your a kid its more an inability to focus visually and mentally.

Anyway glad most don't feel it this bad

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hey you know me, I stand on a chair and I have trouble breathing. Anything above 5000 and I start to feel it ,just a bit but I know. When we go higher it is hard to inflate the lungs ,the air just cant fill them and it actually hurts. After a few days I seem to be OK but those first few are nasty.
I get head aches sometimes and im gunna say dizzy but its not like spinning when your a kid its more an inability to focus visually and mentally.

Funny I said almost the same thing 4 years ago LOL

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Here is a random thing to try. May not work for everybody, but helps me. If you increase the electrolytes in the blood stream, it pulls interstitial fluids into the bloodstream (osmotic pressure). This serves to keep you more hydrated and the electrolytes may also support mitochondrial function. Lots of ways to do this. Magnesium glycinate, electrolyte drinks, even just consuming extra salt several times throughout the day.

One caveat is that some of these things may raise blood pressure a bit. In fact, I believe low blood pressure may be related to the difficulty w/ altitude. But if this is a medical issue for you, something to be aware of.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, consider Ibuprofen for altitude sickness (along with its side effects):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23098412
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5478153/

I spend a lot of nights at 9600 feet and still occasionally get a minor headache from the altitude. Between a headache and the aches and pains of getting old, a little ibuprofen helps me sleep better. I try to take as little as possible because of the potential GI and cardiac issues with NSAIDS:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly after my last ski trip to CO I think I'd never consider going there for a weekend trip again. Even though the flights are cheap and convenient the lack of sleep and altitude issues I experienced put a damper on the skiing for sure. I'd only consider a CO trip now if I had time to spend a day or two in Denver and maybe a day up at altitude before skiing.

The 'fly into Denver, drive straight up to a Silverthorne condo, ski the next two days and fly out' deal is something that kicked my ass...

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
Also, consider Ibuprofen for altitude sickness (along with its side effects):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23098412
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5478153/

I spend a lot of nights at 9600 feet and still occasionally get a minor headache from the altitude. Between a headache and the aches and pains of getting old, a little ibuprofen helps me sleep better. I try to take as little as possible because of the potential GI and cardiac issues with NSAIDS:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

I also find a couple of ibuprofen in the morning to be helpful, along with a ton of water. I probably consume 3x the amount of water at altitude than at sea level. I've never had altitude sickness (knock wood).

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
3 days at altitude, I was fine skiing for two days. Today I feel lightheaded. No headache. I've drank a lot of water this morning (have not been doing that except on the flight.)

Been at over 8,000 feet since Tuesday. Up to about 11K during the two ski days.

The internet of course mentions heart attack (I'm in my 60's) as one possibility. So I'm not skiing today.

Any thoughts?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Never felt like that before and mucho family history of cardio so went to the E Room. Dehydrated.

Sponsor