• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
There used to be an elderly lady who skied at Breck with nasal oxygen coming from a canister in a small carrying bag she wore around her waist like a fanny pack.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
liquids, carbs, sugar -- sounds good to me! :beercheer:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few years ago, @Pequenita was attending the Mother's Day festivities with all of us and suffered pretty bad AMS. I can't remember the details, other than she was sick, and then someone (@jimmy ??) took her to lower elevation. I'm not sure if that impacted the decision to not attend the past year or two but, maybe?

That's right @James and I got her out of there and down to Silverthorne. The interesting thing was the lower we went the symptoms lessened. We hung around the Outlets for a bit and while she was far from fine, we knew she was going to be ok. I think if you get symptoms, go down, go down now.

I've basically had some form of altitude sickness every time I've flown in to Colorado and tried to do something athletic the following day. I've puked all over the Maroon Bells trail in Aspen and wound up in the ER there, so by comparison, the A-basin experience was much better. :/ I remember either @jimmy or @James saying that they knew I was doing better when I said I wanted to go shopping (which meant I was probably still not thinking clearly since I actually don't like to shop)!

For me, it takes my body too long to adjust to being at that high elevation that if all I have is a short weekend, I'm better off going to Utah.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've basically had some form of altitude sickness every time I've flown in to Colorado and tried to do something athletic the following day. I've puked all over the Maroon Bells trail in Aspen and wound up in the ER there, so by comparison, the A-basin experience was much better. :/ I remember either @jimmy or @James saying that they knew I was doing better when I said I wanted to go shopping (which meant I was probably still not thinking clearly since I actually don't like to shop)!

For me, it takes my body too long to adjust to being at that high elevation that if all I have is a short weekend, I'm better off going to Utah.
Have you tried any of the supplements that we've been talking about.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do they sell an oxygen tank/mask you can wear while you ski? I feel like people would buy the crap out of that.

Sure, you can buy those single use canisters like people have mentioned:
https://smile.amazon.com/Boost-Oxygen-Natural-22oz-Cans/dp/B00U1P3B1Y/ref=sr_1_1_a_it

And you can buy refillable oxygen cylinders and regulators (I'd use a cannula stead of a mask) but they're going to be heavy because to carry enough O2 for a day they have to be highly pressurized and able to withstand carrying around. And you have to get them refilled at a medical supplier. A rather spendy proposition, which is why people don't buy them so much for recreation.

I work at a ski area where the base is 10.3k ft and the top is over 12k ft and one thing I notice is that I start breathing deeply, like a runner, automatically just going up steps or walking up hill. Some people not familiar with altitude don't do that and they get a little freaked out when they find themselves gasping for air. I tell folks "breathe early, breathe often" and lots of times they are more comfortable when they realize that it's just that there isn't as much air and of course they're going to have to breathe more deeply.

And when folks come into the patrol aid room with headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, and nausea, they get their vitals and history taken and a quick exam to rule out other issues, which is very important. If there is no other suspected cause, they get O2, usually via nasal cannula, and they have to read and sign a page with information about altitude sickness that essentially tells them that though they are likely to feel a lot better after getting O2 going to lower altitude is the cure.

IME as a patroller, fitness isn't really a factor for altitude issues, but people that don't have a basic level of fitness may find themselves exhausted and sick from altitude, which is an uncomfortable experience. Nutrition, rest, hydration, and time at altitude seem to have an effect.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
What a tragic story. The young woman was from the Philadelphia area, I read about this a few days ago while doing my daily browsing on philly.com to catch up on area news.
I was out in Summit County in early March 2015. We stayed in Frisco and skied Keystone, Breck, Vail and A-Basin (in that order).
The first two full days of the trip I was miserable- couldn't sleep, headache, heavy breathing... no fun. Definitely cut my initial days on the mountains short.
I'd get short of breath just trying to bend down to buckle my boots!
It didn't help that I had a bit of a head cold before the trip, but that wasn't the root cause- that's for sure.
After day two I purchased a couple of large canisters of O2 from Walmart in Frisco.
It helped, and fortunately the room I was staying in had a humidifier, not that I could sleep very well.
Finally by day 3 I was doing a lot better and could enjoy the mountain more.
I'm jonesing to get back out there again as it is such a magical place, but the struggle sure was real for me.
I'll definitely try to prepare myself more next time...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Al's run at Taos is named after Al Rosen whom skied with a mask and oxygen tank for 20 years.

Issues with altitude affects a broad swath of skiers. A friend of my niece was staying with us at Taos. She is a marathon runner. Average about 6 to 7 marathons per year. The house is on the side of a hill at 9,600 feet. 33 steps from the top of the driveway to the basement level. I watch her get out of the taxi at the top of the driveway, Took 3 steps and fell forward on her face gasping for air. Took her 4 days to get fully acclimated. So good fitness level is no guarantee.

Like @pais alto, once at altitude, I am more aware of my breathing and my movements are more deliberate. I usually skied with smoothness and efficiency in mind. Befret of extraneous movements.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you tried any of the supplements that we've been talking about.

I haven't. I've found that I'm good to go after ~18 to 24 hours to acclimate, so picking flights that arrive earlier in the day vs. the evening is part of my trip planning.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't. I've found that I'm good to go after ~18 to 24 hours to acclimate, so picking flights that arrive earlier in the day vs. the evening is part of my trip planning.
Seriously, coming from my Michigan history with friends/relatives who suffered, starting a supplement a few days before flying in makes a huge difference. It can save you from losing part of your vacation to AMS.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if there is a synergistic effect between infection and altitude. Are people who are affected by altitude more apt to get sick, and get sicker if they do?
My wife has a really hard time acclimating to altitude, although no actual AMS symptoms beyond sleep disturbance and lack of appetite. But she got the flu or something like it on day 3 at Whistler, and was sick in bed with a high fever for several days. Related or coincidence?

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ive never got much more than a slight headache and fatigue coming from sea level. Most of my trips to Colorado were coming from either Tahoe or I was living in Colorado though. The few times I've come from NH to Colorado from the east were not so easy.

Drinking is something I just don't like to do much of in a place like Summit County as I'm trashed on 3 beers and the hangover is REAL. I'm living at just below 8000 feet now so maybe that would make a difference. In the past it was weed and powerade that got me through.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wonder if there is a synergistic effect between infection and altitude. Are people who are affected by altitude more apt to get sick, and get sicker if they do?

I've never had the flu or even strep throat, and I get the common cold like once every 4 years. But I've had altitude sickness more than anyone here, I think. :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My wife has a really hard time acclimating to altitude, although no actual AMS symptoms beyond sleep disturbance and lack of appetite. But she got the flu or something like it on day 3 at Whistler, and was sick in bed with a high fever for several days. Related or coincidence?

Not related and not even a coincidence as the Whistler Village at just over 2000 feet ASL is one of the lowest ski resort base areas anywhere in the west and roughly equal to Mt. Snow Vt. base elevation.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@DanoT
True. I knew that, but forgot.

So I guess it goes back to my wife's theory -- a wide variety of international visitors bringing a wide variety of potential illnesses. She didn't get sick till the third day, so may have caught it there.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Comes down to this: altitude sickness of any sort can strike anyone at altitude at any tme. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't mean it won't...and it can be deadly. So, whether it is the kind that give you a bit aof a headache, nausea, vomiting & even diarrhea, or HAPE (high altitutde pumonary edema) or HACE (high altitude cerebral edema), you need to be prepared. Hydration AND good sleep can help to prevent, as can medications such as diamox & decadron. I have a friend that used to live at 9k feet, and anytime she did any type of backcountry skiing with her husband, she had to medicate with decadron & diamox. I have another friend who is an accomplished mountaineer, and for the last 3 years, he can't go above 13.5k without becoming confused and disoriented. With the onset of any symptoms, the first thing to do is get TO A LOWER ALTITUDE! I'll say it again, any type of altitude sicknes can be deadly. Don't take the chance.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I recall a football coach saying that if you wait until game day to hydrate it is too late, so start drinking extra water several days before the higher altitude trip.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When I go out to Breckinridge from NH, I normally fly into Denver and spend two days there acclimating. Despite living at the astounding elevation of 900 feet! I visit the museums and other fun stuff. Then on up to the higher elevations. Hydration is a must, along with rest as appropriate. I now use a humidified CPAP which means I sleep well up there. Still, I'm careful exerting myself lugging luggage. There ain't no air up there! Huff, huff, puff, puff, gasp.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Seems that many here have had negative experiences with altitude, but it is so hard to prescribe a regimen to alleviate it that fits all since it affects people differently and some not at all or only occasionally. We can recommend what we have read as remedies and believe to have helped us, but it may not help the next person. Many of us has their personal experience with it to share, but I don't think any here are medical experts on the subject. It is up to the reader here to figure out what works for them, if anything does.

Personally, I've found that hydration prevents the headaches I've had from going straight to ~10k from sea level, but that still doesn't help me to sleep well at that height. I've found that I do ok if I stay at 6k-7.5k then ski at >9k, drinking plenty of water/Gatorade. I still do sleep lighter at 7k than at sea level, but work at getting more hours in bed at night to ensure enough rest.

Even though I've felt winded walking up stairs on day 1 at altitude, I find I can go ski day 2 and on without noticeable adverse side effects. Sometimes I'll cut first day on slopes a little to save energy for a full day to follow. It's all trial and error to find what works best for you. Drinking less beer at night on ski trips would probably produce a positive physical benefit at altitude, but that's something I haven't been able to justify the sacrifice, yet.

Sponsor

Staff online