• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"We don't need ______ for women"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Er, boots ... okay, but still! Unless you have huge feet like me ...
Funny you should say that.
I had Tecnica Inferno boots for nearly three season. They stood out, which is something I rarely thought about until I was getting photos taken for other gear I was writing reviews about.
1604926_10153868633880018_284669886_n.jpg

467048_10152733494920018_1215392816_o.jpg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Funny you should say that.
I had Tecnica Inferno boots for nearly three season. They stood out, which is something I rarely thought about until I was getting photos taken for other gear I was writing reviews about.
1604926_10153868633880018_284669886_n.jpg

467048_10152733494920018_1215392816_o.jpg

Huh. So, to me, I'm so used to seeing that color for boots (granted, typically men's boots) that it doesn't stand out at all.

But - probably because of my weight to height ratio - my ski pants are long enough that they completely cover my boots, with only my forefoot peeking out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
H

But - probably because of my weight to height ratio - my ski pants are long enough that they completely cover my boots, with only my forefoot peeking out.
Ha ha. My thought exactly. I'm 5'2 and regular length pants are always too long. However, due to the idiotic inconsistency of women's sizing I always need to try on. Very few stores carry "short" pants so I buy regular and let them bunch up on top of my ski boot. I roll them up to walk in regular shoes.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha ha. My thought exactly. I'm 5'2 and regular length pants are always too long. However, due to the idiotic inconsistency of women's sizing I always need to try on. Very few stores carry "short" pants so I buy regular and let them bunch up on top of my ski boot. I roll them up to walk in regular shoes.

I have short legs so I take newly purchased ski pants to a tailor and have them take the zipper apart to shorten it along with shortening the too long legs. Costs $30-$40 but extends the life of the pants due to no walking on the cuffs.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some ski pants have a seam in the knee area for length adjustment purpose. Keeps the tailor away from the complexities that usually occur around the cuff area. Works especially well for the pants with the "articulated" feature around the knee area. It also keeps the original proportions of the design.

Speaking of women specific stuff. What about stuff designed for short fat old dudes like me. Every time I see a pair of ski pant in short, I feel compelled to buy them because I may never see another one again for years. :nono:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some ski pants have a seam in the knee area for length adjustment purpose. Keeps the tailor away from the complexities that usually occur around the cuff area. Works especially well for the pants with the "articulated" feature around the knee area. It also keeps the original proportions of the design.

Speaking of women specific stuff. What about stuff designed for short fat old dudes like me. Every time I see a pair of ski pant in short, I feel compelled to buy them because I may never see another one again for years. :nono:

I also have short arms, so most ski jackets go to the tailor for sleeve shortening. In the past I have purchased an XL or it might have been an XXL women's ski jacket and the sleeves fit perfect.ogsmile

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have short legs so I take newly purchased ski pants to a tailor and have them take the zipper apart to shorten it along with shortening the too long legs. Costs $30-$40 but extends the life of the pants due to no walking on the cuffs.
That's a terrific price. I got a quote on shortening a pair of ski pants one time and was quoted $140.00. Sheesh, I bought the pants on sale for $100.00!

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Actually what I would suggest for your race clinics is that rather than the Fischer Jr slalom, is you try a 155 slalom (they are normally the 11ish radius range) which will give you a better platform for Nastarish type courses as well as a bit more capability and flexibility than the Jr slalom. The 155 used to be the woman FIS ski but now the women are all on 157/158 (which is a much beefier ski) and the 155 is really a U12/u14 ski with a better flex for a lightweight, and lots more of them available its sensible prices.

155 sounds so intimidating and long to me! So far the longest skis I've felt comfortable on were 150. I'm only 154 cm myself and just shy of 100 lbs.; you don't think it'd be too long?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
155 sounds so intimidating and long to me! So far the longest skis I've felt comfortable on were 150. I'm only 154 cm myself and just shy of 100 lbs.; you don't think it'd be too long?
A 155 isn't a 155 and a 150 isn't a 150.
Most often, you need to actually compare the skis side by side. Different manufacturers measure differently, and contact length varies. Trust me when I say, it frustrates the daylights out of me.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Most often, you need to actually compare the skis side by side. Different manufacturers measure differently, and contact length varies. Trust me when I say, it frustrates the daylights out of me.

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but I've personally never seen it anywhere... there isn't really any place to demo race skis is there? I really wish I had that option rather than buying and just hoping for the best. I'm super paranoid now about ending up on too much ski again. Or I'll take recs after you all have seen my skiing in Utah. :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but I've personally never seen it anywhere... there isn't really any place to demo race skis is there? I really wish I had that option rather than buying and just hoping for the best. I'm super paranoid now about ending up on too much ski again. Or I'll take recs after you all have seen my skiing in Utah. :D
Can't wait!

By the way, have you demoed the Head Super Joy? I think you might like that. It comes in lengths. 143, 148, 153, 158, 163, 168.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An SL ski tends to come to ones nose. There are a few "tweener" SL skis that are 150's, depending on the manufacturer, they might be a junior ski with an adult plate or an adult ski with a junior plate. Such as Scotsskier races on some sized down FIS skis, you might size down to a junior/tweener ski> Oh and you will not find these anywhere to demo other that possibly a race camp.

If you are looking to go into a narrow carving ski, I like these for you better than most sized down adult skis because they can get disproportioned in shorter lengths and the tweener race skis are designed with a purpose..to bend properly.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Somewhere on here I have a photo of 3 skis lined up next to each other:

1. Moment Underworld 187
2. Fisher Motive 95 180
3. Head Monster 88 177

It demonstrated quite effectively that the Head had the longest running length, followed by the Fisher, followed by the Moment. The head was 10 cm shorter than the Moment overall, but had about a 7 cm longer running length.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

not if what you are running is a Nastarish course (~15-17m). If you are running real slalom gates i.e with shinguards and protection then yes a slightly shorter ski

As to demoing race skis, very rare to find any for demo. very occasionally a "civilian" i.e non-FIS ski might be available. For a proper race ski only normally available through a race rep and then usually to established racers/coaches. A lot of the race skis I test and report on I have actually bought! ..

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
not if what you are running is a Nastarish course (~15-17m). If you are running real slalom gates i.e with shinguards and protection then yes a slightly shorter ski

As to demoing race skis, very rare to find any for demo. very occasionally a "civilian" i.e non-FIS ski might be available. For a proper race ski only normally available through a race rep and then usually to established racers/coaches. A lot of the race skis I test and report on I have actually bought! ..

We do both... Nastar-ish and slalom gates. I missed the slalom gates this past year; wasn't there the weeks they did them. First year, I did slalom but didn't really have the gear for it (still don't... need to get at some point). Just blocked with my poles and hoped for the best. lol

My Kastle's have a 11.5 radius. I'd rather have a ski that kind of works for both (I understand two would be better), just because I'm not all that stellar of a racer and am partially doing this to just improve my skills. Although, running gates is fun! Not sure I want a collection of race skis for a 6 day clinic once a year. I was thinking Jr. Slalom only b/c that is what a lot of the race kids around here do; they use slalom skis for both slalom and GS b/c $$$. There's nothing wrong with my Kastles, I'm just not wowed by them. But I'll use them again this year and probably again next since I just got them last year and they're a perfectly fine ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually what I would suggest for your race clinics is that rather than the Fischer Jr slalom, is you try a 155 slalom (they are normally the 11ish radius range) which will give you a better platform for Nastarish type courses as well as a bit more capability and flexibility than the Jr slalom. The 155 used to be the woman FIS ski but now the women are all on 157/158 (which is a much beefier ski) and the 155 is really a U12/u14 ski with a better flex for a lightweight, and lots more of them available its sensible prices.

Um, somebody I know has a 155 citizen's SL with a 10m turn radius for sale. :)