• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WCF - ARE, SE 3/14 - 3/18 - Women

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
At first I thought I was watching the DH on tape delay, you know, where they edit out the boring parts of the course and compress a 1.50 run into 1'25".

But, no matter length of course or the cream rose to the top today. LV was ecstatic to win as she should have been. 4 DH in a row...bet she's wishing the season had another month to go.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was a great year watching the WC and Olympics MS and LV were really fun to watch. My hats off to all the racers, a very long season indeed. Thank you lady's for your racing and high level of competition. From the duals in the fog to a rather easy/different type of courses in Korea it was entertaining. To rrepeat myself thanks to all the contributors here for their input, insight and overall knowledge of the WC.

I watched, read and was amazed with the winters racing BUT only when I wasn't out in the powder playing slalom in the trees.

Thanks Hirscher all the ladies racing and everyone here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been tied up recently so haven't caught much in the world of WC, but this piqued my interest.
You'll have to go to facebook to watch it
After a long battle back from injuries, Alice Mckennis stepped on her first podium in five years today.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Short course yes but as was mentioned I’d rather have that than no race at all. The podium wasn’t too out of whack anyway.

#82 is pretty cool :cool:. Got me looking forward to LL next year & I think that course is as big a yawn as today’s.

Goggia is a badass!

I was gonna say this in one of the other threads awhile back but I think Gut needs to get rid of some demons before she will be her former self. Her old high energy, huge angle carves are too often replaced by long, drawn out stivots or poor line choice (as we saw again today). She often seems to take an aggressive line that she is not willing to stay with. Hope things come together for her (& Veith) in the SG so she can finish her season on a high note.

Veith looks to be steady & on a good trend for the future!

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I hear that Gut is still basically in recovery and rehab mode. It can take a lot of time and the timing of the injury as well as the severity can impact when one is "fully back." So I'm hoping that we see a bit more intense, confident and consistent Lara next season.

Also makes me curious about Stuhec. She's been on snow a bit, and might be ready to go full gas by Lake Louise.

I think they'll both be back charging next season. Just a hunch.

My guess is that we'll see LV get to #87. Won't be easy, at all. It think she'll nail it in her final year. Seems to mean to ton to her.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
After seeing Goggia in the interview and on the podium today, I think I have a mild crush on her. She's got a lot of character! LV said flat out that she wanted Stenmark's record, not sure how that went over in Sweden and the French commentators were saying "Wait for it...her it comes...Voila!) when she said the record was her goal next year.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think Sofia Goggia is GREAT for the sport. I hear that "what you see is what you get". Very genuine, fun, funny, and "all in". She just sends it. It sounds like the entire tour really likes her, which is not the case with all of these women. Also heard from guys who coach on the circuit this past fall that "in a couple of years, she is going to move form being really good to be ing GREAT." I bet that transposition is underway. Skiing with her head, etc. Not just "batshit crazy", win or crash, any more.

Shortened course or not, nice win for her today. At one point there were questions about whether she was disciplined enough to actually properly inspect in SG. I'd hear people shake that she had ADD, and was all over the place. And then in DH, she'd often have a nightmare training run, followed by a better one, then a dialed in race run.

Sounds like experience in every respect is really making her a champion. In addition to being a lot more fit than she was a year or so ago. And....injuries/surgeries behind her.

Love watching her ski, and love the shots in the leaders box, at the finish, and the interviews. Lots of persosnality.

Back to the SG. Very happy to see Tina W withe the globe again, and delighted to see Anna Veith on the third step. Wow, has she come back for a terrible injury. Lara Gut will be interesting to watch next season. Thinks likes to be in the spot light a whole lot more than she was this past season. Assume she'll be a touch faster when fully rehabbed.

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I also heard Gut is not quite fully recovered yet....hence LOTS of hesitation and not skiing with the confidence she normally does...and subsequently she doesn't look as technically sound/strong as she normally skis as her tactical choices aren't meshing with where she is physically/mentally. I can't wait to see her back to 100% and full confidence as she is a joy to watch ski from my lens....lots of technique and calculated approach to the course which is a nice contrast to the hyper agression we see from Goggia/Vonn/etc. (which is also great but for different reasons).

Love seeing Veith making an impact as well, such a great skier and to come back from what she endured is amazing. We love Tina W, just works hard and is a solid skier, one of my daughter's favorites as well.

Would be quite the story if Worley could make up the gap in GS, but Rebensburg is just skiing too well right now.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will be a chilly weekend... But great. Still winter here in the Scandis.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
. At one point there were questions about whether she was disciplined enough to actually properly inspect in SG. I'd hear people shake that she had ADD, and was all over the place

Not just "batshit crazy"
She’s maybe just a little bit Italian :D

Rebensburg seems to be on a roll now too. GS should be fun!

checkracer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Mr. Goggia in his own league (OK, Ms and hers)

A few days ago we mentioned that Goggia was about to become the next Lindsey.

There´s not much I could add to the well-deserved praise here. She skied almost like a guy, or at least like a younger Vonn.

She´s a blessing. Ladies´ alpine racing needs some Latin types next to the prevalent Teutonic heroes.

The race was short of the upper 229/70 m with probably the most difficult 5 gates followed by the big turn where the first starters were struggling (the girls were unhappy not to have a TV set at the start). Set by the Italian coach Rulfi with more gates than usually (almost 7 %, the full length of 1903/575 m was with 39 direction changes) and speed under 90 km/h. Actually an anti-Vonn set for Brignone and Rebensburg, even if the lower part was quite fast.

8 races (incl. WOG) = 7 winners. No one really dominating.
Tina W. is a good girl, a long-time hardworker who´s been around long enough (since 2005!) to win in a year when oldies don´t race anymore, others are injured or in some post-injury state and there´s no consistent racer at the moment.

She most probably won´t be a memorable SG racer but this type of a winner - Ora et Labora, Pray and work and you´ll be rewarded - is very important for young racers.

I also like her German, very pleasant and clear.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Tina W. is a good girl, a long-time hardworker who´s been around long enough (since 2005!) to win in a year when oldies don´t race anymore, others are injured or in some post-injury state and there´s no consistent racer at the moment.

She most probably won´t be a memorable SG racer but this type of a winner - Ora et Labora, Pray and work and you´ll be rewarded - is very important for young racers.

Idk, she's won the SG globe two years in a row. She's not a one-off. Not a dominant season, no, but clearly the most consistent of the field.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Today's final GS race was canceled due to high wind, so the World Cup ends with a weather-related whimper.

Sponsor

Staff online