• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waxing at SportCheck

Hannah Selkirk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Please don’t laugh ...
I tried to search but could not find any threads.

My kids have been skiing 4 years now and we have always had the skis waxed at a local independent ski shop even though it is expensive. My friend is trying to tell me that SportCheck is the same but cheaper. I don’t believe her. Who is right?

Thanks

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. No. Maybe. Not sure. I don't know.
Could be any of the above. Depends what you you pay for at each shop.
A higher price does not necessary guarantee a better wax job. Ask the shops directly about what are you buying with your money. Some shops offer multiple types of wax jobs at different price points.
First confirm the processes are the same, then we can talk money.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Block of wax
Iron
Straight edge piece of perspex
Scotchbrite pad

Couple of old chairs to rest the skis on

Not expensive. Good enough* unless you're into shaving split seconds off race times.

* I mean not for everyone on this site ;)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sportchek is a Canadian discount sports equipment retailer with both stores and online sales. They mostly sell "ski equipment packages" but do have some higher end stuff. Personally I would go to a local well respected shop and pay whatever is the going rate.

At Sun Peak's Fall Line Tuning and Repair, a rub wax on and power buff off, is $16Cdn. and only lasts a few runs.

A Wintersteiger Wax Future infrared (penetrating heat) wax is $26Cdn. and lasts several days, add $8 for performance wax, add $10 for race wax.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Block of wax
Iron
Straight edge piece of perspex
Scotchbrite pad

Couple of old chairs to rest the skis on

Not expensive. Good enough* unless you're into shaving split seconds off race times.

* I mean not for everyone on this site ;)

At the Big Sky gathering last year, my condo mates and I did a waxing session in the basement. We had the skis resting on a countertop with plastic bags underneath to catch the drips. Recruit a roommate to hold the bindings steady for scraping and a quick brush.

Seemed to work; skis glided better in the morning.

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
In the past, Sport Chek has sold a wax card which gets you unlimited waxes for the season. I think it was regular price $30, sometimes on sale for 50% off. Not sure about this year. At that price I think you are getting a belt wax, not an ironed in hot wax and it probably won’t last as long.

However, for around the same price you could get some liquid wax which is super easy to apply yourself, and save yourself the trips to the shop.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the Big Sky gathering last year, my condo mates and I did a waxing session in the basement. We had the skis resting on a countertop with plastic bags underneath to catch the drips. Recruit a roommate to hold the bindings steady for scraping and a quick brush.

Seemed to work; skis glided better in the morning.

One can always make the simple, difficult.

Shudda brought them over to our place. We wudda taken care of them for ya.

T uning Station.jpg

TS
H

Hannah Selkirk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for all the info. I did it at the shop this year, cost $50 for “full service” including something done to take the chips out of the ski, and $30 for binding change.

Maybe I will watch some YouTube videos on how to do my own waxing, then I could get it redone during the season.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Depends on who is working at the Sportcheck. When I lived in Guelph ON, the local sportcheck had a guy who could do a good hot wax job on my skis, and the price is reasonable. However, when I factored in the nuisance of having to drop off the skis and pick them up, I was much further ahead doing it at home myself. Hot waxing is easy. All you need is a heavy, preferably temperature adjustible iron, some wax, a scraper and a nylon brush to get started.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
There's hot wax, and there's hot wax. The wax put on with a roller might last a full day, might not. Wax put on with an iron lasts several days. Waxing irons start at $10 on fleabay. A block of universal wax is cheap. Use the rubber bands from asparagus or broccoli to hold the brake arms back. Drip the wax on, melt it in, remelt it and wipe it off with a paper towel, go skiing. You will lose a coupl'a thousands of a second out of the start house, otherwise the wax job works great.

Important---set the iron temperature so the wax melts but doesn't smoke. Keep the iron moving on the ski base all the time; never stop with the iron on the base. Don't let the ski get more than barely warm.

Sponsor

Staff online