• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wax Selection for muddy snow?

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a race this weekend in shall we say, less than ideal weather conditions. Here is the forecast for the week:
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.18.41 AM.png

Unfortunately this is a regional competition which is qualifications for nationals the next weekend, so rescheduling is basically out of the question. The race will go on, GS and SL. As the weather pattern might suggest this is a southeast resort so what snow remains will be entirely manmade. Mud patches visible already... http://www.wintergreenresort.com/Mountain-Cam/

Now on to the actual question. How on earth should I wax for this? Will it even matter or will it all wash off on the first gate regardless of what I do.
These are the options avaible to me right now, could probably order something from Amazon if neccessary:
Swix universal Yellow/Red
Holmenkol Beta Mix
Racewax.com Molybdenum FluoroMax Racing Wax Warm and Cold
Toko DLC
Swix CH6/7
Racewax.com Flouro Overlays (warm/all/cold temps)

I am thinking Toko DLC then the Racewax warm Flouromax then Warm Overlay. I'm hoping this will give some resistance to the inventible mud and slush. Can I do better/other suggestions? Thanks!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
2 cents. Molybdenum FluoroMax Racing Wax Warm Flouro Overlays (warm/

There you answered your own question. "Toko DLC then the Racewax warm Flouromax then Warm Overlay."

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After waxing correctly.

Before the start hard soap rub (little snow helps) on, 2 or 3 times. Do not put the skis base down until you are ready to get into the start gate. Gives you maximum run time (20-40 seconds, if you are lucky longer) as the soap wears off, after that you’re on wax.

The secret here is gain as much lead as you can before it wears off as then you should be at worst on par (wax wise) with everyone else.

BTW I use hotel soap bars, small and easy to stick in pocket.

As to mud, mud skis :huh:.

I would suggest you try it before racing.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@davjr96

I was skiing at our local hill today and it was 70 but the rain compacted the soft snow from yesterday and it was a sheet of ice in most spots today. Obviously not where you are but similar weather pattern. Do you have a chance to check out what the condition is the day before and figure out what if any grooming they are doing?

Literally yesterday was slush and it rained this morning and temps rose and we had ice in Indiana.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
@davjr96

I was skiing at our local hill today and it was 70 but the rain compacted the soft snow from yesterday and it was a sheet of ice in most spots today. Obviously not where you are but similar weather pattern. Do you have a chance to check out what the condition is the day before and figure out what if any grooming they are doing?

Literally yesterday was slush and it rained this morning and temps rose and we had ice in Indiana.
Ironically the race got moved minutes after posting this, but the new location has the same weather forecast, just apparently more man-made snow stockpiled... Either way I actually raced there in the rain last year and noticed the same thing, it ices up very quickly. I will have a chance to check out the course Friday and even run some training runs so I'll be able to test and see if what I have is working.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ironically the race got moved minutes after posting this, but the new location has the same weather forecast, just apparently more man-made snow stockpiled... Either way I actually raced there in the rain last year and noticed the same thing, it ices up very quickly. I will have a chance to check out the course Friday and even run some training runs so I'll be able to test and see if what I have is working.

Hopefully conditions will be the same Friday and Saturday. Would almost be nice to have two race skis prepped. One for slush one for ice. Crazy how skiing 70 degrees air temp results in a sheet of ice.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just a little update after the race. Condition ended up being as expected, temperatures from 40-60F all weekend with on and off pouring rain. The mountain went through 4 pallets of salt on the 800 vertical foot race course. The "Snow" was odd to say the least. Muddy and soft but also icy. I'm very glad I sharpened my edges. The combo of DLC + the Warm Flouromax wax + powder overlay provided excellent glide and held up throughout the race day. Even at the end of training on Friday I still had probably 75% of the morning's glide (I re-waxed Friday night). I would highly recommend this combo or something like it if you're unfortunate enough to have to ski in these conditions.