• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wax Removal For Phantom

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
So I have 1 pair of brand new, never skied, skis, and 1 pair of nearly new, skied twice skis. I’m going to apply the new Phantom base treatment to the skis this weekend and I need to remove the wax from the bases. The product I bought is the Toko Wax Remover HC3 (https://www.backcountry.com/toko-wax-remover-hc3). Is this the correct product to use and how should I apply it? I bought some fiberlene and I can easily purchase a nylon brush if I need to.

TS
E221b

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Watch the instruction video. http://www.dpsskis.com/phantom
It shows the three methods in order of preference for wax removal.
I already did watch that. It doesn’t really answer my question, unfortunately. I just want to make sure the product I bought will actually do what I want it to do. Also, I’m not sure the exact method of using the Toko Wax Remover.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the point of wax remover is to dissolve the wax, so after it is removed you have to pull it off the surface or it will just redoposit when the solvent evaporates.

I don't know what is standard practice, but I know what I would do...
1) lots of ventillation
2) use the remover liberally -- this is a one time thing. Dribble enough on to cover.
3) scrub lightly but everywhere with a soft brush. Not necessarily an expensive ski brush, just a brush.
4) lift the remover off with a rag or shop towels, or lots of paper towels.
5) take a clean rag, wet it with remover (but not saturated) and rub down the surface again.

One other cleaning note: the patent discussed previously, which may be Phantom or may be Juice, or may be both, suggests steam cleaning. If you have a clothes steamer, use that, followng behind with a clean, dry rag.

One more "one more thing" - the remover-saturated rags may be a fire hazard. Treat them as such unless you know otherwise.