• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproofing shell?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
What's everyone's opinion of shell waterproofing additives.. My kids jackets (and my own) need a good wash, and the waterproofing is all but non-existent now.

I've tried Nikwax TX Direct wash in before.. but with dismal results. They work but not as good as what was on the jacket originally.

Is a direct spray better after washing?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMHO...........Time for a new Jacket!.......... sorry but unless you're skiing a couple of times per year, I haven't found one that really works. FYI Stick w/ Waterproof ratings of +20,000mm (20k) for longest lasting gear.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I took this off the Ski Diva's from Geargrrl. And she know what's she talking about as this is part of what she does for a living: She does factory repairs for North Face and others....

-You have to use the two step process (tech wash type product with DWR renew type product)
-The tech wash prepares the DWR to adhere to the fabric and must be activated in the dryer.
- If your item is dirty/grimy not getting very clean with tech wash, wash in detergent and then rinse 3x, then do tech wash/dwr.
- There is a product life time to wpb fabrics staying waterproof.

She doesn't mention any brand names, so that's no help.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pretty sure the spray waterproofing is no more damaging than the original waterproofing. But that is talking out my butt.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pretty sure the spray waterproofing is no more damaging than the original waterproofing. But that is talking out my butt.

Well, when the original was done, OP wasn't breathing the overspray :) and the manufacturer could control the supply line to be sure no sneaky Chinese PFOS/PFOSA got into the mix. OTOH, a mom and pop aftermarket spray can have fuzzy kittens and big eyed pandas eating green bamboo on the label, and still be chock full of the nasties.

The same caution applies to carpet stain resistance sprays. Know what's in it before you use it.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
WheatKing

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
IMHO...........Time for a new Jacket!.......... sorry but unless you're skiing a couple of times per year, I haven't found one that really works. FYI Stick w/ Waterproof ratings of +20,000mm (20k) for longest lasting gear.

If only it was that easy! New jackets and skis every year for everyone.. nope.. i'm working poor, and just bought new stuff last season and this year it isn't getting replaced unless it's damaged and not covered under warranty (columbia omni-tech gear all round thanks to company discounts there.)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I don't think that ratings assertion holds ... water. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I called Arc'teryx about an older jacket that was no longer waterproof. They said to try the spray approach, and if that doesn't work, then call them back. I didn't understand until Geargrrl from SkiDiva (as Jilly mentioned above) explained it.

The skidiva discussion is public: http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/in...hable-how-do-different-fabrics-compare.21072/

Geargrrl recommends http://blistergearreview.com/features/outerwear-101/3 - go to "DWR, Where the magic happens"

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I read the Ggirl posts and Bgear review and I totally agree when one evaluates the coatings in detail. It's apples to oranges. The avg consumer needs a relative way to quickly evaluate the genl sense of how waterproof something is. The ratings serve as a genl guide that is easily understood........... ha ha....... w/in an overall deceptive context that we w/ more experience know, holds no water! ;)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If only it was that easy! New jackets and skis every year for everyone.. nope.. i'm working poor, and just bought new stuff last season and this year it isn't getting replaced unless it's damaged and not covered under warranty (columbia omni-tech gear all round thanks to company discounts there.)
Hey I bought my last waterproof biking shell ........... which I also use for backcountry skiing for $17.99 .......... a Stearns from GASP.... Walmart........... Damn Stearns thing is unkillable........ and that's in addition to using it for commuting to work via mtn bike for two years through wet, cow manure covered VT roads! Uggh! ....... I was much more concerned about getting a top notch cover for my exposed water bottle nipple!!! YUUK!!!!!!!! Compost??? That's for wimps! and cow manure tastes awful concentrated...... I prefer mine diluted w/ water YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what DWR Walmart is using these days!??? Maybe Acteryx and Walmart got their factories in China mixed up on the batch I got.LOL

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
WheatKing

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Hey I bought my last waterproof biking shell ........... which I also use for backcountry skiing for $17.99 .......... a Stearns from GASP.... Walmart........... Damn Stearns thing is unkillable........ and that's in addition to using it for commuting to work via mtn bike for two years through wet, cow manure covered VT roads! Uggh! ....... I was much more concerned about getting a top notch cover for my exposed water bottle nipple!!! YUUK!!!!!!!! Compost??? That's for wimps! and cow manure tastes awful concentrated...... I prefer mine diluted w/ water YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what DWR Walmart is using these days!??? Maybe Acteryx and Walmart got their factories in China mixed up on the batch I got.LOL

Surprisingly enough.. I have horses, cows and other sorts of animals and have "barn clothes". Ski clothes don't go to the barn.. barn clothes don't go to the hill, although it'd guarantee you don't have to ride the chair with anyone else.

So what i'm gathering is the DWR is gone and needs to be replenished, but won't affect breathability. Thanks for the links to the articles.. helps me understand these clothes a bit better..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've used the same waterproofing spray that we use for our tents and camping gear. I always spray it outdoors but I would imagine that wearing the jacket isn't nearly as health threatening as sleeping in a tent sprayed with the stuff.. even if you only spray the rain fly. I spray all the seams and exterior below where the rain fly ends on the tents and, of course the rain fly. Rubberized tents of the old days were way more waterproof but also a lot heavier to carry on a hike.

If I'm expecting rain or a lot of blower I will wear a wool mid layer. I've never owned a breathable jacket that would be 100% dry after skiing in 2 hours plus of driving rain. But, with a layer of wool between the jacket and my skin I always stay warm and comfy. If I'm really expecting rain I'll go with something more like a slicker top layer.

Sponsor

Staff online