• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproofing for Goggle Lens

James

Out There
Instructor
Just came across this:

NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit
IMG_6119.JPG

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/WA4230001NC

James

Out There
Instructor
I think I mentioned that earlier. It says:

"Not compatible with snow goggles or anti-fog treated lenses.".

And a guy in the reviews says it ruined his ski goggles.
Lol! Yeah i just read it. Ridiculous.
So tired of $100 lenses that are fragile. The first day I had a Prizm I got a tiny scratch right in front of the eyeball.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used Skigee goggle wipers for many many years - they are priceless for wet days. www.tognar.com

They claim to not scratch goggles...in my experience you start to notice micro-scratches after a few seasons....which is usually about time for new goggles anyway. :)

Thanks for posting about that. Just picked up a couple.

Beerman

Booting up
Skier
I saw a Ski-gee attached to a jacket recently with the old retractable ticket holder. Allows multiple people to use it. My Ski-gee does not go around the thumb of one set of my ski gloves, so this method will work.
upload_2019-3-25_16-23-37.jpeg

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think I mentioned that earlier. It says:

"Not compatible with snow goggles or anti-fog treated lenses.".

And a guy in the reviews says it ruined his ski goggles.

Since my goggles are over a year old and I can get a replacement lens for a reasonable price with off-season sales starting, I decided to take a gamble with the cleaning pen just out of curiosity.

The warning says it's not compatible with snow goggles or other anti-fog treated lenses, so I think the real problem is if you apply it to the anti-fog layer on the inside lens. So, I only used it on the outside lens, and it seems to work pretty well.

Before I got the cleaner, I did a comparison to my old goggles by spraying water on both. On the new goggles, the water would stick and wouldn't move much when I blew on the lens or tapped the frames together (my old goggles were better in that sense). But after applying the cleaning pen, I did the same test and the water drips off pretty well now.

I'll have to wait until next season to see how long it lasts before having to reapply, and I'll probably take the cleaning pen with me on my first trip in case it turns into a daily thing on snowy days. I'll also have to be careful not to wipe the outside lens when it's wet. So far, it looks promising. If it's something I have to constantly reapply, then I'll probably just buy a new lens.

But, I definitely won't be applying it to the inside lens.

Last edited:
TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last week was my first of the season, and I had a couple of snowy days. The Oakley lens cleaner seems to have fixed the problem.

I didn't have the same warm wet days that I had last season, but I had some face plants in the powder and the occasional water dripping on me from lift towers and such, and the snow/water rolled off within a reasonable amount of time.

I reapplied once during the week, but I'm not sure if it was actually necessary. I didn't get the impression that anything had rubbed/washed off, so I probably would've been fine without reapplying.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Whenever I take a trip to Japan, I pick up a bottle of water repellent ski goggle lens spray from Swans. It works great, and usually lasts me a few years.
BD4BBACD-2D0C-4AD1-8010-E8F6C6721E6F.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid