• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproofing for Goggle Lens

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
With my new goggles, whenever it's snowing and is either a bit warm (meaning wet snow) or when my goggles are really warm, I've got a real problem with snow sticking to the lens and melting, without the water droplets streaming away. So on snowy days, I'm constantly using my thumb and forefinger like a squeegee to wipe away the water so that I can see.

Does anyone know of a good way to make my lens more water repellent? I'm thinking about buying some Nikwax Visor Proof, but the reviews seem to indicate that it's something I'd have to reapply every ski day. Has anyone tried it or similar products?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
With single lens that's problem sometimes, I agree, with double layer lens it's normally never happening for me, unless skiing in rain, which I try to avoid if I don't need to go out in that for work :)

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've used Skigee goggle wipers for many many years - they are priceless for wet days. www.tognar.com

They claim to not scratch goggles...in my experience you start to notice micro-scratches after a few seasons....which is usually about time for new goggles anyway. :)

I can usually do a decent job with my thumb or forefinger. The problem is that I'm having to stop every few turns or constantly wipe while I ski. I'm fine if it's cold outside. But when it's closer to freezing or slightly above, everything sticks to the lens. Nothing seems to run off, which isn't a problem I've had in the past.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
What goggle lens?

Oakley Flight Deck with the Prizm Rose lens. I've had Oakleys in the past (can't remember which model), and didn't have the same problem with water not running off.

I notice that I don't get as much ventilation with the Flight Deck, because it seals up a little too well with my helmet at the top. I am due to get a new helmet soon, so getting one that leaves a bit more of a gap with the goggles might help in cooling them down. But still, unless I'm going quite fast, water just doesn't seem to run off my lens once it's on there.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, this is on the outside, and is a result of melted snow beading up, not rain drops (or those melted water beads) freezing onto the lens?

Exactly. Snow sticks when it hits the outside of the lens and melts, and the droplets of water don't run off. Or if it's actually raining, the droplets of water don't run off at all. I don't think I've ever had a pair of goggles that water sticks to so much.

It's not a problem if it's cold enough and/or the snow is dry enough not stick to the lens on impact. But when it's near freezing, I'm constantly wiping my goggles so that I can see where I'm going, which is especially necessary when I'm above tree line in low visibility.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Maybe some item from the scuba diving industry would help? But ever since I destroyed a clock face with something I've been leery of using things not intended for that particular plastic. Their own lens cleaner for their glasses they say not to use on snow goggles and a customer said it ruined their snow goggles.

James

Out There
Instructor
Many goggle lenses now have a flash coating on the outside, even lowlight ones.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Oakley Flight Deck with the Prizm Rose lens. I've had Oakleys in the past (can't remember which model), and didn't have the same problem with water not running off.

I notice that I don't get as much ventilation with the Flight Deck, because it seals up a little too well with my helmet at the top. I am due to get a new helmet soon, so getting one that leaves a bit more of a gap with the goggles might help in cooling them down. But still, unless I'm going quite fast, water just doesn't seem to run off my lens once it's on there.

Call Oakley before you start putting stuff on the lens. Many of these lenses have special hydrophobic coatings and get worse when wiped with non-compatible products. I ruined a Smith lens last year by using Smith antifog solution on it. Turns out the antifog solution was only for certain Smith sunglasses lenses and not their goggle lenses.

You might just have a bad lens.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I can usually do a decent job with my thumb or forefinger. The problem is that I'm having to stop every few turns or constantly wipe while I ski. I'm fine if it's cold outside. But when it's closer to freezing or slightly above, everything sticks to the lens. Nothing seems to run off, which isn't a problem I've had in the past.

I reckon its worth contacting an Oakley rep and asking about warranty or at least any theories - it doesn't sound normal.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
ski faster?
:)

Easier said than done when you're above tree line in low visibility, which is usually the case for me when it's snowing in the Alps.

:philgoat:

Last edited:
TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
You might just have a bad lens.

I reckon its worth contacting an Oakley rep and asking about warranty or at least any theories - it doesn't sound normal.

Yeah, I'm thinking that my particular lens didn't get a coating it is supposed to have. The anti-fog on the inside seems to be working fine, but the outside is particularly hydrophilic.

I'm going to email them.

Sponsor