Waterproofing for Goggle Lens

Discussion in 'Softgoods: Clothing, Helmets, Goggles, and More' started by Jacob, Mar 12, 2019.

1. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

2. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Making fresh tracks Skier

I think I mentioned that earlier. It says:

"Not compatible with snow goggles or anti-fog treated lenses.".

And a guy in the reviews says it ruined his ski goggles.

3. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Lol! Yeah i just read it. Ridiculous.
    So tired of $100 lenses that are fragile. The first day I had a Prizm I got a tiny scratch right in front of the eyeball.

4. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Working on my technique all the time Skier

Thanks for posting about that. Just picked up a couple.

NZRob likes this.
  5. Johnny V.

Johnny V. Half Fast Hobby Racer Skier

Yeah, I've got them on one strap of every pair of poles I use. Easier than digging it out of your pocket and besides water you can scrape off ice with it also.

TheArchitect and Sibhusky like this.

6. Beerman

Beerman Booting up Skier

I saw a Ski-gee attached to a jacket recently with the old retractable ticket holder. Allows multiple people to use it. My Ski-gee does not go around the thumb of one set of my ski gloves, so this method will work.
    upload_2019-3-25_16-23-37.jpeg

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    Jacob

Jacob CerebralVortex Skier

Since my goggles are over a year old and I can get a replacement lens for a reasonable price with off-season sales starting, I decided to take a gamble with the cleaning pen just out of curiosity.

The warning says it's not compatible with snow goggles or other anti-fog treated lenses, so I think the real problem is if you apply it to the anti-fog layer on the inside lens. So, I only used it on the outside lens, and it seems to work pretty well.

Before I got the cleaner, I did a comparison to my old goggles by spraying water on both. On the new goggles, the water would stick and wouldn't move much when I blew on the lens or tapped the frames together (my old goggles were better in that sense). But after applying the cleaning pen, I did the same test and the water drips off pretty well now.

I'll have to wait until next season to see how long it lasts before having to reapply, and I'll probably take the cleaning pen with me on my first trip in case it turns into a daily thing on snowy days. I'll also have to be careful not to wipe the outside lens when it's wet. So far, it looks promising. If it's something I have to constantly reapply, then I'll probably just buy a new lens.

But, I definitely won't be applying it to the inside lens.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019