• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproof alternative?

pack21

La vita è bella, non sprecarla.
Skier
Today I washed my pants, and re-proofed them with a product for car roofs, the result seems very positive, it remains to check if they keep breathability , but as the legs don't sweat much, and pants have pitzips, it can be a good cheap alternative, must test in real usage.

Dilute the product with water, maybe 1/10 and spray in dry pants, followed by heating again.

pqfeqpe.jpg

pIvMaMj.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ummm, are you certain this product is safe to be in contact with your skin for extended periods of time? What about its durability and possible rubbing off on your car interior (if you wear your ski pants in your car)? I can think of more reasons why this might not be a great idea if it's not specifically for waterproofing ski gear/clothing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
plenty of fabric producs seamgrip seam seal etc.. From a chemistry perspective its probably the same stuff of urethane family of products and I think will function the same safety included as long as you're not huffing the uncured glue.
perhaps more of a formulation and application issue of whether its optimized for fabric and subsequent laundry and movement won't disintegrate the bond.

As far as overall health safety its probably a wash and who knows. im sure a few years down the line they'll discover all this gorettex breathable layers when aged and exposed to sun or freeze cycles delames into particles maybe causes just as much cancer as a urethane patch.

Last edited:
TS
pack21

pack21

La vita è bella, non sprecarla.
Skier
Unfortunately it was a waste of my time, making a video, sharing here, and putting a question on topic.

I no longer have the Grangers waterproofing bottle , but I'm sure the label didn't describe its substances on the label, it just says it's environmentally safe, just as the bottle of the Renovo says is a product non toxic. Only both say to avoid eye contact, and although unwritten on bottle you should not drink, smell, or spray directly all over your body.

So, if there is no interest here in deepening, and search for real facts about efficiency and safety, i don't see reason to continue sharing, because if there are fair safety concerns, i don't want to be responsible for that, who wants to know more, do your research.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Unfortunately it was a waste of my time, making a video, sharing here, and putting a question on topic.

I no longer have the Grangers waterproofing bottle , but I'm sure the label didn't describe its substances on the label, it just says it's environmentally safe, just as the bottle of the Renovo says is a product non toxic. Only both say to avoid eye contact, and although unwritten on bottle you should not drink, smell, or spray directly all over your body.

So, if there is no interest here in deepening, and search for real facts about efficiency and safety, i don't see reason to continue sharing, because if there are fair safety concerns, i don't want to be responsible for that, who wants to know more, do your research.

I think you may have had a translation issue in your original post. You stated that you used a "product for car roofs", but now you're stating that it was Grangers; a well known product used for ski technical garments (I use Grangers myself). However, the bottle you have pictured doesn't look like any Grangers bottle I've ever seen, so either it wasn't or it's just very different in Portugal.

So I just looked up Renovo Ultraproofer and found that it's a waterproofing treatment intended for automotive convertible soft tops. So now I'm really confused as to why you are referring to Grangers in your most recent post. What's the truth?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think you may have had a translation issue in your original post. You stated that you used a "product for car roofs", but now you're stating that it was Grangers; a well known product used for ski technical garments (I use Grangers myself). However, the bottle you have pictured doesn't look like any Grangers bottle I've ever seen, so either it wasn't or it's just very different in Portugal.

So I just looked up Renovo Ultraproofer and found that it's a waterproofing treatment intended for automotive convertible soft tops. So now I'm really confused as to why you are referring to Grangers in your most recent post. What's the truth?

I think he means to compare the ingredients of the Renovo to Grangers addressing the concern that it wouldn't be safe to put on a garment.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why? I think its good to have people ask you questions after posting something like this.
Its good to share information and answer questions when something like this is shared.

Sponsor