• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Watching a hockey game.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Never been to a hockey game before. Is it worth taking the family to see the Utah Grizzlies while we're in Salt Lake?
Easy to get to Maverick Stadium?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well I'm biased... :D For $28 for a decent ticket, why not?? ECHL is considered the third tier of hockey in North America so it's not exactly NHL calibre. But don't let that deter you, they're still damn good hockey players. I've played with ECHL guys and their skill level and speed is still ridiculous. For me it's kinda like baseball..I just love grabbing a hot dog and a beer and watching the boys skate. They all have stories..some guys are trying to make it..still young..some guys are just trying to hang on and pay the bills a bit longer. But to get to that level they still needed to love hockey and desired to get to the NHL. Whenever I travel I try to fit in a game, no matter where I am. Watched the Salzburg Red Bulls in Austria when I was last there. A few Canadian boys were playing on those teams. Glens Falls..PIttsburgh..Chicago..Detroit..Hershey..wherever. I'm trying to see the Colorado Avalanche when I'm in Denver in December.

But like I say, I'm biased. :)

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If you can get seats close to the ice, you won't believe how fast the game is. These guys have also been known to drop the gloves once in a while.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
The other question is as an Aussie do you understand hockey? Like scott43 I'd go. Live is so much better.

I know nothing about it aside from it's on ice and hockey players have been known to punch on. (Similar to Rugby League here in Oz before we became too soft and politically correct).
It would be great novelty value regardless.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Go, get seats high up on the center line if you can, will make it easier to follow.
bit like soccer, watch where they're going, not where they are.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most definitely, take in a game. Minor league hockey is still great hockey. And at a cheap price. If you don't know anything about the game, its still an exciting game to watch live. Its a pretty simple game to understand, maybe do a little research to understand some of the rules like icing and your set. The fastest game there is.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That's "field hockey," not hockey

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Agree. I was just thinking for someone who'll be watching his first match...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dress warm, light jacket or thermal base layer. Kinda chilly in there..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is Utah State hockey now in D1 ? Those games would be fun too.

Minor league sports and mls are fun to watch but I get annoyed at the major league concession prices, so I spend most of my game money on mlb which has reasonable seat prices.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
It's a lock then. How long does the game go for? Starts at 7pm. My crew will be shattered by about 9 after a big day skiing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's a lock then. How long does the game go for? Starts at 7pm. My crew will be shattered by about 9 after a big day skiing.
3 twenty minute periods with two twenty minute intermissions. Not a lot of time outs taken, kinda like your football, clock runs a lot with a few quick breaks. You should be heading out by 9:30 if they start at 7 sharp.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Grizzlies are ok. Check Maverik gas stations for $10 approx tix for certain games in the Mav zone ( but reality is you can move where you want within reason ) Parking dead easy at the stadium.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
The corners are nice, too. I even prefer sitting there to center ice, as far as watching play develop.
The corner on the glass is the best seat as you can see the most ice from there and get to watch the board battles