• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Washing Ski Clothes

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it recommended to wash your shell/jackets and bibs/pants?

I bought some technical detergent from Arcteryx and wondering if it does more harm than good to wash our outer ski clothes.

I am not sure if doing so would help with repelling water with Gore-Tex clothing or if it would somehow harm the clothing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is it recommended to wash your shell/jackets and bibs/pants?

I bought some technical detergent from Arcteryx and wondering if it does more harm than good to wash our outer ski clothes.

I am not sure if doing so would help with repelling water with Gore-Tex clothing or if it would somehow harm the clothing.

Good. Wash them. Follow the instructions. I have done it many many times

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny I just got done hanging mine. Nikwax cleaner and waterproof is what I used. Worked good just ran them under faucet and water beaded right off. I did the hand wash so I could get two applications out of the kit, Should get me through season.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny I just got done hanging mine. Nikwax cleaner and waterproof is what I used. Worked good just ran them under faucet and water beaded right off. I did the hand wash so I could get two applications out of the kit, Should get me through season.

Hanging to dry or just hanging after washing/drying?

Here's a good little write up. I don't follow exactly but close.
http://specialtyoutdoors.com/keeping-technical-clothing-clean/

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Waterproof membranes are damaged by dirt & oil, so definitely wash. Once or twice a season for most types of waterproofing, but eVent doesn’t have an oliophobic compound in their membrane and should be washed every few uses.

The PFCs used in DWR bond to the fabric better with heat application (so it works better and leaching is less of an issue - especially since PFCs are really harmful). But a few manufacturers recommend line drying since it’s better for the polyester or nylon (Flylow in particular comes to mind). I usually split the difference.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
DilbertTowel.png

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Waterproof membranes are damaged by dirt & oil, so definitely wash. Once or twice a season for most types of waterproofing, but eVent doesn’t have an oliophobic compound in their membrane and should be washed every few uses.

The PFCs used in DWR bond to the fabric better with heat application (so it works better and leaching is less of an issue - especially since PFCs are really harmful). But a few manufacturers recommend line drying since it’s better for the polyester or nylon (Flylow in particular comes to mind). I usually split the difference.

Wow. Someone knows a thing or two, or three!

So it looks like I should wash our Arcteryx pants and jackets. Only one of the six or seven items is a bit dirty (not new) so I will start with that one and see how it goes and look to wash the rest of them later in the season (I bought their Nu technical detergent).

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Read the care label. Some types of membrane need the heat of the drier to be revitalized. Others will be damaged in a drier.

Sponsor

Staff online