• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just heard this on The Moth's podcast. We all know the stuff he talks about at the start of the story, but the bit at the end put tears in my eyes - not least because I could hear that quaver in his voice and knew that he had them, too.

https://themoth.org/stories/freedom

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Monique thank you for posting this. I am saving this site for sure. Looks to be some amazing opportunities to share time with astounding people.

You were so right about the need for kleenex.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
It took a while to get to the powerful stuff, but I still have tears in my eyes.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique thank you for posting this. I am saving this site for sure. Looks to be some amazing opportunities to share time with astounding people.

You were so right about the need for kleenex.

The podcast is great - fascinating stories from all walks of life, delivered directly to my phone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for posting this.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
@Monique, thank you for sharing this.
I've shared it forward.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Some powerful stories told on that site. Thanks for introducing me to it, @Monique!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just thinking this morning..."I need a new Podcast to listen to". Looking forward to listening to this one on my commute home this afternoon.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
(...) but the bit at the end put tears in my eyes - not least because I could hear that quaver in his voice and knew that he had them, too.

https://themoth.org/stories/freedom

Thank you, @Monique , for sharing. This is such a wonderful realization of what skiing is, at its very core. At least to me. FREEDOM.

I do believe a lot of the, sometimes ill-treated, and certainly underpaid ski instructors and coaches do it out of love, out of the privilege of giving others the gift of freedom.

I recall a conversation with @Tricia in Sugar Bowl towards the end of this season. We were just having fun in natural terrain off of a lovely chair (Crow's Nest). She said something nice about how I had been improving my skiing (we hadn't skied together in quite some time). And I remember I took a pause, and said something along the lines of "I don't know, I'm just happy, I found this freedom to move around and enjoy the mountain".

Hats off, Mr Miller, rest in Peace and Glory. The story towards the end is just too beautiful to repeat, please listen to it.

Last edited:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Listened while walking up High Rustler @ Alta

Freedom

503DD861-7804-4B62-A3B9-3512511315B1.jpeg

3B5F080B-63D2-4597-A945-5FBC6C350D29.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thanks for posting this link. As always Warren Miller doesn't disappoint with his commentary, RIP skiing's best ambassador.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One of my favorite quotes from WM is "There only four things you can do on skis, turn right, turn left, go straight, or sell them". To my good fortune I have been able to do all four.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I dare anyone to listen to this podcast and not tear up at the end.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very nice.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Thank you @Monique for sharing this. One of my best friends worked with Mr. O'leary at WP in the original adaptive program.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid