• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warmest bottom baselayers?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
As far as insulated pants go, I picked up a pair of the Flylow Snowman pants this summer (manufacturer samples) for $40.00! Have to say I love these. Not heavily insulated and full vents. I wear these on colder days; skied in them from 15 down to below zero with just a thin base layer and I was really comfortable. Only insulated pants I have ever liked.

https://flylowgear.com/shop/snowman-14

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's really only two ways to felt something, mechanical (needle, card block &c.) and fluid (water jet, air jet &c.) What you call fleeces and what you call 'microfabric' were all water jet felted. Fancypants term: hydroentanglement. There is simply no other way to do it - mechanical weavers don't do 300tpi+

Repeating the question, therefore - have any of you needle felted patches or finishes or extra thickness onto Polartec type fleece garments?

Particularly interested in panels/material added to the wind short, kneecap, yoke, and above-breast pocket areas.

Perhaps you need to ask in the "sewing" section of the forum?
Phil, we need a new section added!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a pair ordered....looking forward to a(hopefully) warmer tushie. This is the first year I have been cold enough (chalk it up to getting colder as I get older) to wear multiple layers under my pants.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For one who hikes a lot, insulated would definitely be a no-go. For in bounds lift-served, I have just found that piling on base layers is still not as warm as insulated pants. And after awhile, all those base layers become cumbersome and hinder movement. More than two and it's just too much. I only wear shell pants on days in the upper 20's and higher, with sunshine.

It's 7 degrees up there today and I'm about to take the daughter out. I'll be wearing insulated WITH two layers. Partly because we'll be riding the slowest, coldest chair up there!
I only wear one base layer at a time - to me the quiver means from just boxers at the light end, through various weights of longs on up to fleece, and there's even some micro-puff pants for high mountain ugly weather. But only one at a time.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Today, I wore those omniheat tights @SBrown mentioned. I can't swear on a stack of bibles, but I would pinky swear that they are warmer than my Icebreaker 260 base layer. My butt was nice and toasty all day (within insulated pants).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Late to this thread.

FWIW as a skinny diabetic I get cold pretty easily.

As a frugal person I tend to eschew the most expensive gear.

Like BounceSwoosh, I don't like too many layers that constrict the joints (knees, elbows, shoulders).

My current set up is Ibex Woolies 2, 3/4 length bottoms as a base layer, and Outdoor Research Igneo pants (lightly insulated). If I really need more warmth I can use a Woolies 1 bottom as a base and the Woolies 2 as a mid layer, or an old old old old pair of REI Powerstretch fleece bottoms as a mid layer with the Woolies 2 as a base.

Fortunately this year I have not needed anything other than the Woolies 2 with the Igneo pants.

For tops, I've been doing pretty much the same thing. Ibex Woolies 1, with Woolies 2, then down puffy, then shell. Warmer days I leave out the Woolies 1.

Should I mention my Outdoor Research Lucent heated mittens, or start a different thread? My one investment in pricy-ish gear.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Late to this thread as well, but I really like the Minus 33 merino wool base layers on very cold days in Maine, augmented by a fleece layer (I think mine are LL Bean, but there are many out there). I also wear lightly insulated ski pants (Mountain Hardwear). Bought Minus 33 base layers for all four of my kids this year after my good experiences a year ago, and they are all fans as well.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have one, just haven't, uh, practiced yet.

Open a beer (or maybe a bottle of Blanton's) and watch this

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_20160426_212041554.jpg
I have my own F.U.D.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After watching that video, I feel like it requires even more logistics than squatting to pee.