• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warmest bottom baselayers?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my new Arcteryx Sentinel pants for the most part except that they aren't insulated. I have been freezing even though temps haven't been all that cold which scares me.

All of the pants I've skied in the last few years were insulated so my baselayers didn't need to be as warm but now I need to find some that don't require me wearing 3-4 layers underneath the shells but still keep me warm. I prefer with boot top length layers or layers with flat seaming that I won't feel against my shin in the boot. Or, worst case, I can cut to boot top length. Any suggestions?

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Wool.

I currently have IceBreaker. I used to have some of their boot top length, but now just go with full length and fold it up above the top of the boot while skiing. Same here on uninsulated shells, just add more layers as the temp drops or the pace requires.

DarnTough thin wool socks. ...able to get a sock in the boot again now:).

Nuthin else in the boot but one pair of thin socks ...you know that;)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually wear Arcteryx uninsulated pants. On a normal day I insulate with a thin wool layer and a light fleece undergarment. If it's single digits or below I up the thickness of the fleece. The fleece garments are a little loose fitting and the combinations don't feel bulky or restrictive.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Outdoor Research Radiant Hybrid tights would be my recommendation.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
UniQlo Heat-Tech Warm if you can get them online; 1/3 to 1/10 the cost of outdoor name brands. I'm all UniQlo for base layers these past few years, nothing better.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear tights as a base layer, sometimes the thin ones and other times the insulated ones, and then have a variety of second layers depending on how cold it is. The second ranges from thin wool to the heaviest-weight Columbia Omni-Heat base layer pant. If it's colder than that, I wear lightly insulated pants.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
For AK winter and avy courses, I wear arc atom pants under a shell. I folded them up for a while, then finally took them to a specialty tailor and had them made into puffy-capris. Pretty luxurious.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have this same issue, except I suspect I run colder than you do (based on your camping reports). I have tried Icebreaker wool long johns with REI fleece pants over them, but I still get cold. I think part of this is because the fleece pants are tight on me, so they don't get the opportunity to trap air the way they would if they fit right. God I need to lose weight, just for practical reasons like this. Anyway.

For AK winter and avy courses, I wear arc atom pants under a shell. I folded them up for a while, then finally took them to a s
specialty tailor and had them made into puffy-capris. Pretty luxurious.

OMG, where has this been all my life? I've been looking for puffy pants for exactly this purpose - Arc'teryx Sentinel shell (really any shells). I'm trying to find a women's version - don't see it - do you? Also looks like it's synthetic, which is a requirement for me - husband is allergic to down and last time I suggested that I might want to buy something down, he said I was trying to poison him ... Right, anyway.

I wear tights as a base layer, sometimes the thin ones and other times the insulated ones, and then have a variety of second layers depending on how cold it is. The second ranges from thin wool to the heaviest-weight Columbia Omni-Heat base layer pant. If it's colder than that, I wear lightly insulated pants.

These arrived for me last week. I plan to test them out next weekend.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
Patagucci also makes puffy pants: nano puff and das. The nano is like puffy jeans and the das would be overkill, but take a look. My wife swears by their R1 suit, but I sort of hate onsies since I'm pretty different sized top/bottom.

Don't think arc makes the atom pants in a womens cut, most of the weird stuff like that doesn't sell enough to warrant it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Patagucci also makes puffy pants: nano puff and das. The nano is like puffy jeans and the das would be overkill, but take a look. My wife swears by their R1 suit, but I sort of hate onsies since I'm pretty different sized top/bottom.

Don't think arc makes the atom pants in a womens cut, most of the weird stuff like that doesn't sell enough to warrant it.

I can likely make a men's large work - it will fit too loosely but room for hips and thighs. It says it's a fitted, er, fit. I'll check out Patagonia too. Thank you.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Normally, Patagonia Merino's the calf length ones over silk weight boxers in unlined pant. Cloudy colder day = same Merino's w/ old Cloudveil Polertech fleece boxers, and when temperatures go south (a lot) Arcteryx Rho AR bottoms. My lower body runs hot - cycle in straight bibs a lot in winter if sun is out.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

These arrived for me last week. I plan to test them out next weekend.
I have the heaviest weight Omni-Heat base layer tights, they fit nice. Tight enough around lower leg so as not to get lumpy inside the boot cuff yet not constricting. Stretch's nicely with movement around my knees, I'm very sensitive to that. I hate when layers and pants tug on my knees while sitting on the lift. I can't really say they are as warm as Columbia would have us believe they are with the reflective dots. They're not my first choice on very cold days unless i'm doing a second base layer over them.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread got me to thinking. Why don't I have a single layers of varying insulation depending upon temperature I can use underneath my shell pants? Everything I have requires multiple insulating layers and this seems to be how products are made. Who has a single layer system?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Patagucci also makes puffy pants: nano puff and das. The nano is like puffy jeans and the das would be overkill, but take a look.
These-
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/patagonia/nano-puff-pants/
- didn't know of them. Looks like they'd be too big to fit under the upper part of my shell pants. They'd likely need a cut that sits low on the hips to not bulk up under the shell pants waist or have a upper designed more like underpants. Same with the lower leg, looks bulky to tuck into a ski boot.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I, like @SBrown, go with tights as my base layer. I have many pair of 3/4 length or zip-ankle tights (both kinds from road cycling) that work great for skiing, are comfortable and durable. And you can get them for far less money than specialty ski base layers.

Another trick: use knee warmers from the cycling world to give your knees a bit more insulation. I have some inexpensive polypro ones from Performance Bicycle, and I'll wear them under my tights on really cold days to keep my legs warm. This is especially helpful on my right leg (i.e. #projectfemur), as the screws for my Ti rod are very close to the skin and conduct cold very well.

I've also used Patagonia fleece tights under my shell pants in a pinch. They aren't the best at staying put, but they are certainly warm.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This thread got me to thinking. Why don't I have a single layers of varying insulation depending upon temperature I can use underneath my shell pants? Everything I have requires multiple insulating layers and this seems to be how products are made. Who has a single layer system?
I do, my knees can't take being bound up in multiple layers. Most I'll do are two layers and the second is a loose fitting something I'll size up on. She asked about the warmest so i didn't mention the others I have hanging in the closet. - And yes I've been accused of being a shopaholic due to my ever growing collection of "jizzwear".

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
These-
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/patagonia/nano-puff-pants/
- didn't know of them. Looks like they'd be too big to fit under the upper part of my shell pants. They'd likely need a cut that sits low on the hips to not bulk up under the shell pants waist or have a upper designed more like underpants. Same with the lower leg, looks bulky to tuck into a ski boot.
I like layers that go high up the waist to help prevent air gap.

Sponsor

Staff online