Warm breathable vest

Discussion in 'Softgoods: Clothing, Helmets, Goggles, and More' started by EBG18T, Dec 16, 2018.

1. James

James Making fresh tracks Instructor

What's up with the "under the helmet" hood on the Rab?
    IMG_5698.PNG

coskigirl likes this.
  2. Analisa

Analisa Out on the slopes Skier

Visibility. Over the head provides better protection, but climbing, it can really interfere with peripheral vision. Bike brands do the same thing to make it easier to keep tabs on your surroundings.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Putting on skis Skier

EBG18T likes this.
  4. moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri Booting up Skier

Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
    'Polar Fleece' (any variant of Polyester fleece) vents well, needs a wind barrier.
    I like multipurposing my cycling gear. A mid-weight ('light' for many...) fleece vest - usually one of my Pearl Izumis.
    With a cycling vest which has a full mesh back panel, also usually a pearl izumi.
    Depending on base layer and shirt, I may add DeFeet wool arm warmers, if cold enough.
    All Under a Marmot shell with pit zips (one size up).
    Cycling vests are intended to provide max back ventilation, while protecting the frontal/chest area from wind chill. Perfect as a cover for fleece.
    Covers me down to about 20 deg. - below that I take off the cycling vest & arm warmers and replace with soft shell, over fleece under the marmot shell.

5. Slim

Slim Getting off the lift Skier

And several other proprietary materials that are similar.
    Patagonia has the Nano-Air line of products, that are diesigned in a similar fashion. The Nano-Air Light Hybrid is the same concept as the OR piece mentioned above:
    Active insulation front, thin, openweave grid fleece back.

I would NOT suggest the Atom LT for your request. They are great prices, but not designed to move air or moisture. Arc’teryx has active insulation prices out now thoug.

(PS, with he Patanote the Nano-Air is not the same as “regular” Nano product line.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Putting on skis Skier

So what did the OP end up choosing?

7. moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri Booting up Skier

Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
    read it - one thing which stands out -given I like stuff I can use across multiple activities - (Alpine ski, xc off-track, snowshoe and just plain cold weather hiking) - I'm surprised when I see outer layers/jackets without pitzips or 'some' active venting. I don;t buy anything anymore without pitzips - first place where I can really regulate heat, before the clammy feeling sets in.
    I use the softshells I have, but everything else without pitzips is sitting in the closet...
    I have an North Face 3 in 1 which has 'cross-flo' zips (upper chest down to side, under the pit), it sits in the closet, even as a shell, it's just not as good as real pitzips.
    ... just me?
    would luv to find a nice shell with both pitzips and adjustable back vent... am I askin too much? LOL!
    anyone know of any such thing?

8. Thread Starter
    TS
    EBG18T

EBG18T Luv da snow! Skier

Nothing yet. I went to a few stores, tried a few items from Arcterrx, TNF and Patagonia. Just couldn’t find the right fit, XL was too big (or too long), L was snugger than I wanted. I’m going to keep trying things on as I find them. I’m back in my Spyder vest for now, till I find the right replacement.