• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warm breathable vest

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Hi all - looking for a new vest to wear under a shell. I run a bit warm so want something that breathes well. I hate getting a sweaty back from a layer that can’t move the moisture. What suggestions do you guys have?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends on how warm/heavy you’re looking to go. Something like a Smartwool merino sport UL would definitely win for breatheability, but wouldn’t be as warm as a puffy or fleece vest.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Look at the Outdoor Research Deviator vest. It uses Polartec Alpha under Pertex on the front side and Polartec Powergrid on the back. I have the hoody (non-vest)) and love it. I’m a big fan of Polartec Alpha.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Depends on how warm/heavy you’re looking to go. Something like a Smartwool merino sport UL would definitely win for breatheability, but wouldn’t be as warm as a puffy or fleece vest.

I think I want something slightly heavier than the ultra lite from smart wool. But I need to find it locally to try in person. Maybe it will be spot on. I tried the Patagonia Nano last year and it was a bit too much.

Look at the Outdoor Research Deviator vest. It uses Polartec Alpha under Pertex on the front side and Polartec Powergrid on the back. I have the hoody (non-vest)) and love it. I’m a big fan of Polartec Alpha.

Looks like a great option, I’m going to hunt thru the OR line to see if there is a non hoodie version.

Arc'teryx Lt Atom vest is worth a look. The polartec side panels give it decent breathability. If that one is too warm for you, they also make a SL (super light) version.

Looks like another great option. How’s the fit of arcteryx now a days?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2nd the Arc Atom LT. I have the hoodie also - for me, both the vest and the hoody work well in a wide variety of temps.

Fit is average. I wear a large in almost everything and that’s the right size for me in the Atom LT also. It’s not at all boxy, but also not a super slim cut.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’m a big fan of Polartec Alpha.

yep! fantastic stuff designed exactly for the requested purpose. You can find products with this material on the polartec site. I believe the Primaloft Gold is a very similar product. I picked up a pair of Primaloft Gold 3 finger gloves this season and I am wholly impressed with their warmth and moisture movement.

Primaloft Gold.
http://primaloft.com/insulation.

From Polartec

Polartec® Alpha® was originally developed for the U.S. Special Forces when they required a more advanced insulating material in their combat uniforms. This fabric is a new technology with active insulation that regulates core body temperatures during both dynamic and static activities. This latest advancement in adaptable breathability helps eliminate the need of shedding or adding layers while on the move.

Last edited:
TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Thanks for the additional feedback guys. I’ll check out stuff with polartec alpha.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Dont exclude the Primaloft gold.

I own the Ascendant Jacket which is a remarkable product. its warmer than the Patagonia Nano Air so it may be perfect for you if you want added warmth. The Patagonia Nano-air is still my go-to mid-layer though. I use a Rab Alpha 120 gram jacket for temps 10* and lower. The Nano-Air light is still another possibility as well.

so, it really comes down to warmth on these:

1- warmest- OR vests, with the Ascendent as a layer that is on the warm side but still breaths extremely well.
2- highly breathable nano Air and nano Air Light. I will wear the Nano Air and simply adjust my base layer from a Smartwool 150 base layer for temps down to 15 and will wear a Smartwool 250 down to single digits or the Rab jacket with a 250 for single digits (no sun) and below .

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...ens-jackets-vests-vests#tile-3=&start=1&sz=24

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...nsulation/mens-ascendant-vest/p/2540110054007

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...ion/mens-deviator-hooded-vest/p/2539651285007

https://rab.equipment/us/alpha-direct-jacket

And, here's the Oyuki "the Pep". (as in Pep Fujas)

https://oyuki.com/list-products/mens-range/mens-gloves-mitts/the-pep.html

Last edited:
TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Thanks Ron. I’ll look into that too. I had a Nano air last year and didn’t like the fit, so I didn’t wear it. I have to look at their other options.

I’ve never had Rab, so I’ll have to see where I can get one locally.

The OR options look good too.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
for Rab, you can order from Backcountry or Campsaver and return. Rab is outstanding stuff, just not widely known in the USA. The Rab is warmest by far though.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I want something slightly heavier than the ultra lite from smart wool. But I need to find it locally to try in person. Maybe it will be spot on. I tried the Patagonia Nano last year and it was a bit too much.

If you're looking for something in between those two, highly recommend the Marmot Ether DriClime Vest. I have the jacket, and wear it year-round as a booster to my PNW ski jacket when I travel, it's my uphill layer for ski touring or summer glacier mountaineering. It's my insulation layer for trail running and alpine rock routes since it packs down super small. It's just a brushed lining instead of thicker insulation that has really impressive warmth-for-weight and it wicks really well so I don't feel damp and cold after I stop moving. Arcteryx Atom LT is a great option for something a little more insulated than that.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Arc needs to step up their insulation. Alpha and gold are far ahead for moisture transport brethability and warmth/weight.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Highly Breathable- Wool garments are naturally breathable down to the fiber level. While synthetics only breathe through pores in between the fibers in the fabric, woolfibers naturally allow air to flow. The breathability of wool will not feel clammy when you sweat and will prevent you from overheating.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Analisa - is there such thing is a good breathing fleece?

Yes, polar fleece (like the Patagonia Synchilla and Retool fabrics) are really breathable and wind cuts through really easily. Tech fleece (like the Nike & Under Armour ones with a silky sheen on the face of the fabric) are more like trashbags.

The challenge is that fleece runs really hot and it's hard to make a fleece that's light but also has decent tensile strength. Polartec has done some really great work addressing this with their gridded fleece, power stretch, power dry, and their fleeces that are blended with wool and lyocell, but they've mainly integrated those into base layers (I think the Patagonia R1 vest has been discontinued for a few years). The Arcteryx Kyanite just got launched with the Polartec power stretch fabrication, but that comes in a few weights, so it's not very easy to tell how light/heavy it is based on the product info & imagery alone.

Sponsor

Staff online