• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
After reading Tricia's thread I'll give it a crack:

I’m thinking about buying a new set of skis this season because we’ve had such a lousy year I have a feeling there may be some deals this spring. I generally have kept two pair, one for the soft and deep, and one for the harder conditions. The skis I’m looking to replace are my hard skis, Elan 888’s, which I have really liked for their quickness and ability to hang on with my beefy body on top, and they’re not quite skied out yet, but are getting a lot of days on them (maybe 80 – 100).

I’m 65 years old, 6’ 1”, 220 lbs. and I ski about 50 days per season. I ski at Mt. Baker and Stevens Pass almost exclusively. I like to ski everywhere in all conditions except complete garbage. I only ski groomers when I have to or have no other choice. I regularly run into bumps, groomed, powder, and steeps on the same run. Chopped up, tracked out stuff is a staple for me.

I’ve been skiing for 50 years, but I’ve never been interested in skis other than the ones on my feet, so I really don’t know what is available since they change so quickly. A gear-head I am not.

I demoed the Brahmas last week and realized that they were very much like my Elans, but not quite as quick to turn. I think I like the Elan's best of the two. I’m looking for other skis of this ilk.

Suggestions?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought we were having a great season, once it finally started ? Haven't used the hard skis yet (although this Sunday they might have been the better choice)

Can't help with your selection, my hard skis are pretty old, but when you decide remember the Whistler Turkey Sale. Our Thanksgiving weekend, 2nd weekend October. Equipment is priced same as in US but in Canadian dollars, and big discounts that weekend .

All usual brands and a lot of the independents so you might save some money. I have always taken advantage of it.

TS
Posaune

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I just got done with a trip to Montana. Stay in Whistler!! It was as hard as it can get, and low snow totals which leads to a bunch of snake bite. I'll think on the Turkey Day thing. Hmm....

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
You hop on that head monster 88 yet
Cause that’s prolly one that will work in your weight class
@markojp prolly can chime in here too on why

And yeah I got a Elan Apex in 177 and I still use it to

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Yup. Excellent ski. The current iteration is a bit softer in the front than the 16-17 model and consequently has a bit more reactive tip, but that's not a bad thing at all. Killer edge grip and a stellar all star does it petty damn well ski. Unfortunately Head is out of them so you'll have to find a retailer that still has some in stock. IMHO, this is one of the best skis on the market in the 80-95 width band. Sadly, this category is a very hard sell.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was at Crystal yesterday and rode the chair with a guy that had Elan ripsticks 86. He has been extremely impressed by them. He said they were extremely light and quick but yet was able to plow through just about anything. It was a front side day and he was rippin them. I had my Elan Apex's which got the conversation started. Now I want to try a pair. LOL.

TS
Posaune

Posaune

sliding
Skier

Was thinking about this thread, looked it up, and noticed that I never answered the question. Yes, indeed, I did demo the Monster 88s and was quite disappointed. My Elans track much better; the Heads seemed weak in comparison. I decided to continue on with the 888s.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Not that it matters, but at your size, you'd have needed the 184. The 177 would be too short.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
After reading Tricia's thread I'll give it a crack:

I’m thinking about buying a new set of skis this season because we’ve had such a lousy year I have a feeling there may be some deals this spring. I generally have kept two pair, one for the soft and deep, and one for the harder conditions. The skis I’m looking to replace are my hard skis, Elan 888’s, which I have really liked for their quickness and ability to hang on with my beefy body on top, and they’re not quite skied out yet, but are getting a lot of days on them (maybe 80 – 100).

I’m 65 years old, 6’ 1”, 220 lbs. and I ski about 50 days per season. I ski at Mt. Baker and Stevens Pass almost exclusively. I like to ski everywhere in all conditions except complete garbage. I only ski groomers when I have to or have no other choice. I regularly run into bumps, groomed, powder, and steeps on the same run. Chopped up, tracked out stuff is a staple for me.

I’ve been skiing for 50 years, but I’ve never been interested in skis other than the ones on my feet, so I really don’t know what is available since they change so quickly. A gear-head I am not.

I demoed the Brahmas last week and realized that they were very much like my Elans, but not quite as quick to turn. I think I like the Elan's best of the two. I’m looking for other skis of this ilk.

Suggestions?

Head Monster 88's. I have them in 184cm length and they are awesome skis that smooth out rough snow and just offer a great ride. They hold a great edge and are durable. The 177cm's are also really good. They are my ski for "it has not snowed in days" conditions here in Colorado. Which length did you try? Maybe they were not tuned right?

There are other options in that width range that are also excellent. There are some nice reviews on this site you can browse.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I demoed the 184s. I can't speak to the tune on them. They looked OK.

They do come alive at speed. They are not a "poppy" or quick ski. They are fast and smooth. Definitely have to be driven. They are heavy which certainly helps them smooth out rough snow.

I have no clue how that compares to the Elan 888's. :huh:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They do come alive at speed. They are not a "poppy" or quick ski. They are fast and smooth. Definitely have to be driven. They are heavy which certainly helps them smooth out rough snow.

I have no clue how that compares to the Elan 888's. :huh:

What about the Renoun Z90 or Atlas? They are pricey but new ones have a money back guarantee and they are very smooth and easy to ski.

And...there is a pair of Z90’s in a 180 in the gear swap section for a screaming good deal. ogsmile

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Posaune if you ever want to demo a z90 I have a pair. It’s 174 rather than the 180 but would give you a feel for the ski.