• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wanderlust in Portland,Oregon

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
Greetings, I am a new member from Portland, Oregon. I joined primarily to seek out input about expanding my ski area repertoire. For the last few years my home area has been Mount Hood Meadows. Also Timberline, SkiBowl for night skiing once or twice a year, and occasional trips to Mt Bachelor, Mission Ridge, Utah (Alta, Snow Bird, Brighton, Solitude, Park City), Aspen, Steamboat, Banff, Big White, Whitefish. I am 65 yo, retired MD, advanced intermediate, definitely not the fastest skier, try to be the smoothest, go into the bumps and steeps, not so much trees. I am feeling the urge to expand horizons! A road trip is calling. One of my thoughts is a "Days of My Youth" trip which would include Mt Baker, Alpental, and Crystal Mountain in Washington. I have looked at 49 degrees, Schweitzer, and SE BC. I prefer ski towns as opposed to resorts, and unexpected gems as opposed to expensive "It better be good for that Price" areas. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated Thanks, JJ

PS The pictures are of upper Heather Canyon at Mount Hood Meadows on a recent bluebird day, and I sign I saw at Lake Louise in January. I tried to tell my wife I needed to stay at the resort so I wouldn't die, but she put a hold on my credit card. I made it home safely but I consider myself duly warned. IMG_0125.jpeg IMG_0023.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Schweitzer and anything in BC for sure. Red Mt and Whitewater Have great terrain and old school vibe, plus Rossland and Nelson two of the coolest towns.

Baker, Alpental and Crystal all have great terrain, though less of a “ski town” experience. Unexpected gems include Lookout Pass and Brundage. Haven’t been to 49 yet, or Lost Trail or Discovery, those are all on my list.

As a larger resort that is not in Utah or Colorado, Big Sky is really cool.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have some of the same priorities as you. From my own experience I can recommend the following:
Baker, Mission Ridge, 49, Silver Mtn., Montana Snowbowl, Discovery, Bridger, Whitfeish, Silver Star, Apex

I've left out ones that are too near the big city.

Sponsor