• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Scandal...It continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am actually quite annoyed by people taking an "agnostic" position on climate change. Climate change is a proven scientific fact. Whether you favor public policy solutions to deal with it, is indeed a matter of opinion and a reasonable policy debate, but denying that climate patterns have been changing is akin believing in flat Earth.

Now you've done it. It is interesting how seamlessly you have merged naturally occurring climate change with alleged anthropogenic climate change. Natural climate change is indeed a scientific fact, the amount of anthropogenic may be next to nothing. Land use itself is the bigger issue. Straightening rivers, building in swamps, for example, Washington D.C. Spending trillions of dollars to avoid an imaginary fraction of a degree of warming in a hundred years is a crime. @tch The only place the Antarctica is melting is over a string of volcanoes. Overall it is gaining ice. The Arctic is now getting close to where it was in the early 70s just before everyone was scared of the coming ice age.

Sorry @Philpug . I shall refrain from further comment if they do.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m not happy with what VW did, however, let’s put this in perspective.

Lithium battery production cause serious pollution if you count mining it and disposal.

Muscle cars, (even under powered cars) well watch them accelerate hard, smell the exhaust and look at the color.

No solution is perfect. This issue is when you restrict a method beyond what is possible, yet not hamper the other methods. It leads to solutions that are unorthodox. VW cheated, ok, they met the rules as they were written (though not the intent which what everyone is upset about).
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...w-reason-to-worry-about-air-pollution/564428/

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Now you've done it. It is interesting how seamlessly you have merged naturally occurring climate change with alleged anthropogenic climate change. Natural climate change is indeed a scientific fact, the amount of anthropogenic may be next to nothing. Land use itself is the bigger issue. Straightening rivers, building in swamps, for example, Washington D.C. Spending trillions of dollars to avoid an imaginary fraction of a degree of warming in a hundred years is a crime. @tch The only place the Antarctica is melting is over a string of volcanoes. Overall it is gaining ice. The Arctic is now getting close to where it was in the early 70s just before everyone was scared of the coming ice age.

Sorry @Philpug . I shall refrain from further comment if they do.

I was not talking about anthropogenic climate change specifically. I happen to disagree with your "next to nothing" assertion, but I'm happy to discuss in another forum. But as you pointed out there are different public policy solutions, which are worth debating. Denying climate change wholesale shuts off that debate.

As far as Antarctic ice, I believe that the author of the paper that you implicitly cite ( Jay Zwally) does not quite share your optimism, see his 2015 article and subsequent interview in Nature. Also, Arctic ice is pretty much inconsequential for sea level rises, as it is 100% sea ice. Here an approachable writeup on some of those issues (from Scientific American, a non-political source).
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-to-believe-in-antarctica-rsquo-s-great-ice-debate/

And by the way, I fully stand by my initial statement that the article reposted (which started this discussion) was baseless propaganda.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are almost at the two year mark to where all of the cars/owners should have made a decision on what to do with the cars, fix/replace/ignore. The VW topic has run it's course and now has changed into a political discussion which is an area that we just do not get into here. So, the thread is closed. If people want to get into politics and hot topics, there are plenty of sites to do that, here is not one of them.

/end thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online