• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After her history at Copper, could she really show up for speed training again next fall? Sure would be tough for us mere mortals.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
After her history at Copper, could she really show up for speed training again next fall? Sure would be tough for us mere mortals.
That's one thing you can't really understand unless you are (or were) racer once, and even if you were before, now after years of not being anymore it's hard to understand you were able to think this way. It's kinda hard to explain, but most simple thing to say is, you feel you are immortal. You get hurt, you go through rehab, and first day you step back on skis, you forget about injury and you feel you are immortal and can do anything you want. It probably sounds stupid, but it really goes this way. Once you are not able to do this anymore, you quit your racing career, as if you start thinking what will it be if I crash, or I should ski a bit more careful not to get injured, you are not hundredths of a second behind, but few seconds behind, and there's no point to race anymore.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
That's exactly right.
Once doubt creeps in you are slow and dangerous.
It is wonderful to be young and invincible and a hero but the price is huge for almost all that try.
The ones that can't quit end up crippled or dead depending on the sport.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's one thing you can't really understand unless you are (or were) racer once, and even if you were before, now after years of not being anymore it's hard to understand you were able to think this way. It's kinda hard to explain, but most simple thing to say is, you feel you are immortal. You get hurt, you go through rehab, and first day you step back on skis, you forget about injury and you feel you are immortal and can do anything you want. It probably sounds stupid, but it really goes this way. Once you are not able to do this anymore, you quit your racing career, as if you start thinking what will it be if I crash, or I should ski a bit more careful not to get injured, you are not hundredths of a second behind, but few seconds behind, and there's no point to race anymore.

Exhibit A: Erik Guay.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lindsey Vonn is not done yet

Note: when looking for this thread about LV, it was on page 3. Its hard to believe we haven't talked about her for more than two pages.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's amazing what orthopedic surgeons can do. it's only a matter of time before prophylactic knees, hips etc. appear. Can you imagine -- a world class athlete has titanium joints embedded even before an injury? I bet we'll see something like that in the next decade.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Let's wish her the best in her comeback starting this week. There are 6 speed events she plans to compete in, plus the World Cup. Most of all, just hope she remains healthy. I only wish I had her level of determination and grit.

Go LV!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Realistically... I think she will be back in Cortina and not St.Anton... simply because there will be no St.Anton ;) I was in Flachau yesterday, and during check of our positions, we had quite long chat with Andy from FIS, who is responsible (also) for this that we stand on not dangerous positions. He said there's about 20 pisten bullies working on track, and the still didn't came down to base they had ready for race before snow started last week. And based on current weather forecasts, there's another 1 to 1.5m snow coming down by the end of weekend... to already almost 3m of fresh snow at start of DH. Plus there's issues with avalanches all over Austria. It's actually pretty cool for skiing, and I had amazing day on Sunday in 1.5m of super light powder, that was surprisingly stable, even if avi danger was at 4 and half of roads, including one leading to resort, around resort were closed, but if I you want to organize race where you want to have hard/icy base, it's not really best time to do it ;)

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz: when I was watching Flachau on TV I wondered whether the St. Anton speed events would get off the ground. That snow was coming down hard, and Flachau is fairly low elevation compared to SA. No shock that things were canceled.

If only the World Cup speed skiers could take advantage of the powder. It's nice to get a break from the daily grind and have fun on skis. I remember skiing powder with members of the 2001 Austrian men's World Cup speed squad when Snowbasin's World Cup event was snowed out. They had a blast in the powder!

James

Out There
Instructor
This was Jan 5th in Flachau:

I guess Cortina has little snow now?
Here's Julia skiing powder in Cortina.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just got Whatsapp msg from FIS, St. Anton is canceled. So Cortina it is for her feedback :)
Otherwise that was on Sunday (6th of January) in Zauchensee... just some 5km air distance from Flachau.
I know my video skills suck (for now), but that's hardly even hobby, and when you ski snow like that, you rather have fun skiing, then film/take photos. :D Yesterday morning, before the race, I actually went up in Flachau, but for freeride I was always in Zauchensee, so I don't really know much off piste terrain in Flachau, and it was super windy and super foggy so not all that much of fun.
@James Cortina has some snow but nothing much. All this snowmageddon is pretty much reserved for north Austria and east Switzerland. Cortina is some 20-30km too south to get this. Here in Slovenia we have absolutely nothing, south Austria, has absolutely nothing, Dolomites (where Cortina is) are pretty much without snow too. 50km north it's end of the world :) I don't remember I ever saw avi danger 5 since I started to get interested in freeride and ski touring, but today, quite big part of Austria is in 5 area. It was 4 for a week now, but last night there were really hard winds joining some 40-80cm fresh snow, so it got much worse then it was. So for Cortina, no powder skiing this year :)

Last edited:

Sponsor