• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volvo Appreciation Thread

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not everyday you see one of these! My husband pointed out that I was more surprised & excited to see this aqua Volvo today than I was to see a mountain lion in the woods yesterday .... View attachment 41756
Flash Green (Color code 457) was even more special with the Atacama interior than the light taupe that is in that one.
259804.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Thinking about buying a used XC70. Any years or engines I should stay away from? Reliability is my main concern. I've driven Suburbans for at least 16 years so gas mileage is obviously not a priority. I'll be looking for something with low miles and most likely a CPO.

'01 and '02 XC70s had transmission problems, but if you are looking for low mileage then you probably won't go that old anyways.

Clogged egr(?) system can sometimes be a problem but is fairly easy to diagnose because it affects the engine vacuum.

Check out Swedespeed and XC70 forums.

What is a CPO?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Certified Pre Owned.

Thanks.
CPO, I'm guessing would cost more but might be worth it if it means the car has been carefully gone over and things fixed. I am not so sure about extended or used car warranty.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks.
CPO, I'm guessing would cost more but might be worth it if it means the car has been carefully gone over and things fixed. I am not so sure about extended or used car warranty.
We are talking Volvo, right? ;) CPO's can be worth their weight in gold. I have seen some killer CPO leases too...I leased a 2000 V70AWD to a customer for 2 years for less than $130/mo. CPO's do have their benefits over typical extended warranties...extended warranties are offered by 3rd party insurance companies that make money by not paying claims. Volvo CPO's are from Volvo, even though you are bettting something will go wrong and they are bettinng something will not co wrong, you are backed by a company that at least has some vested interest in keeping you happy.

I am not saying that all CPO's are great and that they all are the best option but do not dismiss them without having all of the information. Don't confuse what you spend with what you get.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We've owned a number of Volvo wagons {eight} over the years. None recently, though we might dip a toe back in the water.

I think that the best deal that we ever made was on a CPO V70R. The car was really great for us over the 110K miles that we owned it. {30K to 140K}. Very few issues, but three big ones. The turbo blew at about 80K miles. Kind of a freak deal, as those turbos are pretty sturdy. The steering rack cracked, and had to be replaced at about 90K. And, I was able to convince the service manager to replace all four calipers, pads and rotors just short of 100K, as despite my insisting that the calipers be maintained better than the book called for, they all pretty much seized. That last one was a stretch, but we were, I guess, good customers.

Point being, as Phil says, depending on the car and the details, CPO can be very good. Our first Land Cruiser was a CPO vehicle. 2 years old, off lease. The purchase price was already very good. The warranty.....bumper to bumper to 100K was worth any CPO mark up. We lost the seal on the two headlights in about six months. That one repair paid for it. This was a model year 2000, and they later became notorious for having transmission failures. Just some of that model year. Ours failed at about 65K miles, and we ended up with an entirely new transmission. Not a rebuild one. A new one that arrived in a wooden crate from Toyota USA. We had a loaner LC for the three weeks it took to sort that out. Price of. a new OEM trans was as I recall $8K.

I believe that shortly thereafter Toyota changed their pricing and terms on the extended warranty piece of their CPO. Basically the plans were "too good", an the prices too low.

Agree with Phil, 100%. You need to know what you're doing with extended warranties. Some are worthless, and some are almost "too good." About 10 years ago, our son bought a 1995.5 Audi S6. So it was 12 years old. 85K miles. Very low for the car. Car was "enthusiast maintained." Good car. Be tracked it down through a guy who basically brokers high end cars. When he bought it, this guy suggested that we consider an extended warranty. This guy was honest, and knew his stuff. He had done business with about a dozen companies over the years. I went over the warranty with a fine tooth comb {with some experience}, and jumped on it. I think it cost $1500. We bought it for our son.

Basically it had almost no excluded components. Only wear items. It would pay for OEM parts, and not require aftermarket. It had a $100/hr. limit on labor. Others were at the time capped s low as $35/hr. It was good for five years, or until 150K miles.......and it was transferable.

That paid for itself about five times over in two years, and when he went to sell the car, it was a he piece of making the deal, and getting his price. He made money on the car. Without the right warranty, he would have lost bundle.

That was an unusually good warranty on an older car. A unicorn. But nothing like a CPO deal from the right company.

Good advice from @Philpug!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
No love out there for the Volvo 122-S Amazon from the 60's???

View attachment 41948 View attachment 41947

The I was a kid, we were lucky enough to spend six years living in Switzerland. My dad got to pick the location of his company's international operations....and since he was skier......that worked. One of his clients was Volvo. That worked.

My dad had a 122-S Amazon, in green. My mom drove a 122-S wagon. Cream over red leather. The wagon "came home" to the USA with us. My mom drove it, then my older brother drove it through college, then I drove it through high school. As I was headed to college, my parents thought a car with 300K plus on it, having never had any top end work done to the engine, and the original clutch, might be pushing it. So they gave it to my younger cousin, who was a real gearhead. He drove it for years, and when I lost track of it, it had about 500K on it, some "very visible rust" and was being driven by the son of some other family friends.....to whom it had been given.

Great memories of that car. I was pretty proud of my mom "rocking" it, complete with yellow fog lights, a bit of suspension work, good tires and than long stick shift, when every other mom back in the USA was driving a Ford Country Squire.

My dad also had a P1800, with the hatch, for a while. One that got away. One of many. That was "too unpractical."

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In high school in the '60s my friends mom had one of those Volvos that was a fast back and looked like a shrunk down '40 Ford from the rear.:golfclap:

Edit: I should add that while not a Volvo, when I was 15 my mother bought a red Corvair Monza convertible. I never had a car in high school and never wanted one. Guess what car I used to get my driver's license.

Last edited:

Sponsor