• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volvo Appreciation Thread

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I do like lattes but I'm not a college professor, NY Times reader, or... we'll leave it at that. I like safe well-designed cars.

Currently driving a 2015 2wd V70XC, smallest engine and most basic, good snow tires, 31 mph, plenty of room, heated everything and it looks nice to my eye. Very content.

Prior car was my wife's 2002 V70 2wd in similar configuration that held up very well and I still got $3k for it with 250k on it.

Telling was that I previously had an Xterra that got stuck in our driveway while the 2wd Volvo handled everything fine.

20150213_iphone_0563.JPG
20150718_iphone_0832.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another appreciator here. 2013 XC60 R-Design. Ungodly fast, but I bought the R version more for the handling than anything else, and boy does it handle.

It's one of those cars that I liked a lot when I bought it, but nearly four years later, I pretty much love it.

I'm sorry yours only goes 31 mph! ;)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
2003 Allroad, twin turbo, less mpg, but rips the road up. and up..and up.

The air suspension is handy when the parking lot plow leaves a rift of debris blocking the way. just punch the "UP" button to level 4, and drive out ;-)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I sold Volvos for 8 years or so.. Their seats and Saab seats are still the best. I had a few, 92 744T, 95 855GLT and an 02 V70XC.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
2003 Allroad, twin turbo, less mpg, but rips the road up. and up..and up.

The air suspension is handy when the parking lot plow leaves a rift of debris blocking the way. just punch the "UP" button to level 4, and drive out ;-)

Sounds like an Audi, not a Volvo ...

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up with a V8 XC90 after my 4Runner was totaled last year and am getting spoiled. The depreciation on older Volvos is dramatic compared to 4Runners and Tacomas, even Subarus. Stay away from the older T6s though due to tranny issues.

IMG_2835.jpg

I've since added a straight t-track crossbar with Thule ski rack. It is the nicest rack I've ever owned.
IMG_3171.jpg

It hauls our pop-up like it isn't there, but the AWD bias changes from front to all and the fuel economy drops substantially, however.

A friend owns a newer XC70 turbo AWD which is like ripping on train tracks while driving over ice and snow on the passes.

Last edited:

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We have/have had five, a 1996 240 Wagon. Put 300K on it before we sold it and wish I still had it today. A 2004 S60, base base unit with 5 speed manual tranny. Really liked the car but with almost 200K and needing a new clutch we decided it was time to go. 2004 V70 that my daughter drives. She loves that car. Doesn't see why anyone would ever have anything but a Volvo station wagon. 2010 XC60 T6, really liked the vehicle but it was getting old and had a lot of miles and nowhere to repair it here in Ennis so I traded it for pickup truck (we have two dogs and no self respecting Montana dog rides in anything but a pickup truck). 2016 XC70 loaded to the gills. Bought it via overseas delivery. Great way to buy a car. The wife LOVES the car (so do I). The challenge with the XC 70 is the closest Volvo dealer is in Billings 3 1/2 hours away.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
We have an 05 xc90 which we've driven all over. I love the car to death and my husband tolerates it bc it's kept us away from minivan territory (with 7 seats and a big ski box the xc90 can fit a lot, more children and skis than you could ever wish for). Our car before was a trusty 93 sedan which I treated badly in retrospect but it held up great. My mom drives and loves an '88 240 wagon, fire engine red, I have tried a few times to switch cars with her but she won't. It is in pristine condition, somehow, and she washes, waxes etc it all the time as if it was a ferrari. My dad had a P1800E, the only time I have ever seen him cry was the day he sold it. He also was hit by a drunk driver in our college town, the car (the one after the sports car, 80s sedan) was totaled and he walked away with just a bruise where the seatbelt was, which sold me on volvos in general.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
We had one of these growing up.

800px-1975_Volvo_245_DL_wagon_front_--_07-15-2010.jpg

These are/were the quintessential Volvo's in the US. They had all the good characteristics that gave them their name here.
Now they are not really any safer than the rest due to the Fed requirements and such. They are seeking their 'new' identity since Ford
bought them just before 2000.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We had a number of Volvo wagons over the years. 1985 240 Turbo. 1988 740 GLE. 1993 850T, 1997 V70R. All had standard transmissions except for the last. Had good luck with all of them.
My dad was a Volvo guy, going back to the late 50's. The car that stayed in our family the longest was a 1962 122 wagon. Cream white with red leather. He picked it up in Sweden, when we lived in Europe. It was as third car after dad put about 200K on it, then my brother drove it through grad school, and it passed on to me. Ended up in the garage at my parents ski house.....with about 400K on it.
The 1988 GLE might have been the best car that we ever owned. We sold it in just perfect condition with 150K miles. Should have kept it.
Incredibly comfortable seats in that car.
With four studded snows, and a bit of sand in the rear well, it was a decent snow car.
I had a VW Syncro at the time that was our normal ski car.
We've been seriously thinking about a Volvo to replace my aging Legacy GT. I bought it intending to keep it for a year at most....11 years ago!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
We had one of these growing up.

800px-1975_Volvo_245_DL_wagon_front_--_07-15-2010.jpg

I had one too, already grown up. Mine was sadly, a lighter shade of lemon yellow. What can go wrong, did. Years later had a trusty sedan that served us well. Now I'm an energy nut and driving a Volt. Surprisingly good on snow, plug it in every night, use very little gas. ⛽️

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I had one too, already grown up. Mine was sadly, a lighter shade of lemon yellow. What can go wrong, did. Years later had a trusty sedan that served us well. Now I'm an energy nut and driving a Volt. Surprisingly good on snow, plug it in every night, use very little gas. ⛽️

What is the energy source and efficiency level for the electricity?

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
What is the energy source and efficiency level for the electricity?

Luckily for me, I live in a city that produces its own,through hydro and solar. Just plug it in overnight. In summer I get about 50 miles per charge, in the dead of winter mid-20s. I can't quote you kw without more research but I calculated it costs about $1 for a full charge with our especially cheap power. Cost me $1.50 where I lived before.

Sponsor

Staff online