• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
Hi,

I have a pair of Volkl Supersport 5 Star that I haven't used in a long time. How does that ski compare to newer allround skis these days? Is it worth getting these Volk skis tuned or should I simply buy/rent a new pair of skis?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Unless you have a couple of hundred days on them, they would still make a decent fun easy carver for hard snow. They won't hold a candle to a all-around ski though.
5 Stars are pretty old. You might find the bindings are no longer indemnified, which means you might not be able to get a shop to work on them (the bindings that is).

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
My wife’s old five stars are still in use by her good friend. Great skis just become old great skis. Bindings become the limiting factor unless you work on your own equipment.

TS
kaunosario

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
I'm on the West coast and primarily ski the Tahoe region.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Since you don't tune your own skis and you're not in the East, the answer is pretty solidly on the "No." side. You can find far more versatile skis as a daily driver.

The *****s might have some small value (think maybe a 6-pack of beer here, depending on the beer) as a solid carver/rock ski to someone who owned other skis and did their own work, but that is not you.

How's your boot situation?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
5 Stars were very easy to ski at a good level by intermediate skiers.
I loved mine and found the performance envelope was bigger than the 6 Stars I replaced them with.
They come from the era when Volkl still used their own excellent core wood and had a great feel because of it.
Don't throw them away until you demo some more modern skis and find something you like better.
With a good tune they will still carve very well while retaining versatility that mid priced modern skis lack.

TS
kaunosario

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
Since you don't tune your own skis and you're not in the East, the answer is pretty solidly on the "No." side. You can find far more versatile skis as a daily driver.

The *****s might have some small value (think maybe a 6-pack of beer here, depending on the beer) as a solid carver/rock ski to someone who owned other skis and did their own work, but that is not you.

How's your boot situation?

I just went to Helm of Sun Valley to get myself fitted into a brand new pair of Salomon X Max 120. Can't wait to give them a try.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

I have a pair of Volkl Supersport 5 Star that I haven't used in a long time. How does that ski compare to newer allround skis these days? Is it worth getting these Volk skis tuned or should I simply buy/rent a new pair of skis?

The implication of your post is that the Five Star is an all around ski. It's not - especially in Tahoe. At least not any longer. If you only ski firm groomers, get them tuned if the bindings are passable. Otherwise put them in the garage sale bin and start over with a 21st century design.

TS
kaunosario

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
Yup, it’s time for a new pair. Any recommendations for what to do with the old Supersport? Does Goodwill accept them?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup, it’s time for a new pair. Any recommendations for what to do with the old Supersport? Does Goodwill accept them?
Goodwill should accept them. Not sure whuch bindings are on them, maybe Marker 1200 Motion? But some of this generation of bindings are starting to come off the indemnification list. Hold off for a bit donating them, the new list will be out later this month.

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider

Do you still have these? What size are they? I’m a buyer if the price is right.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Hi,

Newer skis provide comparable performance and are so much easier to ski (comparable stability but easier to turn) and to carry (lighter weight). Still, I have both the 175 and 189 Superspeed's and can't bring myself to remove them from the rack; such fond memories.

James

Out There
Instructor
Are they bent? Five stars were notorious for getting bent in the front. Now it's called rocker. If one is bent you could bend it back or bend the other to match.
Volkl did the usual Volkl thing in that period and made the replacement, the Six star too stiff.

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Reunited and it feels so good.
B6FD4271-3DE0-44B8-8902-BE1A5D73AD11.jpeg

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
They ski just as awesome as I remember.

Attachments

• 5 star.jpg
    5 star.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 32

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a 5 star, but I have an old pair of Superspeeds in my garage.
Caved in an edge to where they were not repairable and not machine tunable. Was getting too old for them anyway.

Sponsor