• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored Volkl Off-Piste Shell Jacket Review

https://www.skiessentials.com/

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
This week on Chairlift Chat we examine and review the Volkl Off-Piste Shell Jacket, now marked down to $179 from $399 on SkiEssentials.com!
Like the jacket. Great video. Could use some advise on sizing.

6 feet, 190 lbs. No gut. Broad shoulders. Long arms (16x36 dress shirts)

Medium or Large?

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Like the jacket. Great video. Could use some advise on sizing.

6 feet, 190 lbs. No gut. Broad shoulders. Long arms (16x36 dress shirts)

Medium or Large?

I'd go Large if I were you. About 11 minutes into the video there are some examples of different size people in different size jackets. There are actually 2 people around your size, one is wearing a medium in the video, the other a large. Considering the broad shoulders and long arms I think you're going to want the Large, you might feel a little constricted in the medium, and you don't want that.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Same here on sizing. After watching the video I am torn between Small & Medium? I am just under 5' 10" & about 160lbs. I have a shorter torso with relatively longer legs/inseam.
thanks

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Same here on sizing. After watching the video I am torn between Small & Medium? I am just under 5' 10" & about 160lbs. I have a shorter torso with relatively longer legs/inseam.
thanks

I would go with the medium. The small felt a little bit too small for me (5'10" 155 lbs). It would be tough for me to layer underneath a small and still feel comfortable. I like the movement of the medium, and I think it fits well.

4ster

Instructor
Okay, Thanks @SkiEssentials . That's my dilemma, I thought it looked big on you in the video but you had no layers on. I am often between a small & medium. I have a Patagonia Spring shell in a Small, more than one mid layer and it would be too small but it is perfect otherwise. This Volkl looks roomier, especially the long arms. The 5' 7" guy at 180lbs looked fine in a small.
If I order the medium, would it cost me more than shipping to exchange it?
Also, I couldn't tell what kind of drawstrings the hood has for cinching it down. I will often go without a helmet when skinning?

4ster

Instructor
Looked at the video a few more times, saw the triple cinches for the hood, weighed myself (lost a few pounds), tried on a few of my own mediums & smalls & decided to go with the small. If it doesn't work I will exchange. Ordered some goggles too ...
:pug:
Thanks

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiEssentials, how do the Off-piste pants fit? I'm currently in XL insulated pants, more for waist than leg length.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Looked at the video a few more times, saw the triple cinches for the hood, weighed myself (lost a few pounds), tried on a few of my own mediums & smalls & decided to go with the small. If it doesn't work I will exchange. Ordered some goggles too ...
:pug:
Thanks

No additional cost to exchanging other than shipping back to us! Hope it fits, sounds like it will. Thanks!

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
@SkiEssentials, how do the Off-piste pants fit? I'm currently in XL insulated pants, more for waist than leg length.

The pants run a little bit big. I would guess you could probably wear a large. I'm basing that off the fact that I typically fit medium pants pretty well, but had a lot of room in the waist in the medium when I just tried them on.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I've been looking for a shell just like this, but finding one in my size has become challenging.
XX or XXX depending on the jacket.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January