• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl Flair 75 vs Volkl Essenza Milena

Redherring

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am considering these Volkl skis for my daughter. Does anyone knkw whether is these are identical skis, but American vs European? I am considering 2017 Volkl Flair 75 vs 2017 Volkl Milena for an almost 15 year old, 5’2”, 98 lbs. she probably would grow another inch max. Cautious skier, does mostly blues, gets a bit braver and more adventurous when she skis with friends though. She is pretty lightly built, has very narrow bones, long legs for her height, a ballerina body type (strong but not athletic, skinny legs and knees). Would any of these be appropriate skis for her (in the past we rented kids skis)? Is 141cm a good length, given that she doesn’t like to go fast and likes to feel in control? Or would 147 length be a better investment? Also what kind of boost would you recommend? Thank you all very much!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A red flag always comes up when are talking about "system skis" in the low to mid 140cm range, all too many times the system, which is usually designed to accommodate a shell length of 260mm-370mm , makes that shorter ski really stiff in the center and since we are talking about a lighter less aggressive skier, that will be a detriment. I would suggest considering a ski like the Nordica Astral 78 which can bought flat (w/o a binding which will be bought a la cart) in a 144 or an Elan Ripstick 86w which is a 142. But at her weight, sub 100lb, I would be hesitant without physically flexing that smaller ski that it will bend for her. I also would not dismiss some of the better junior skis as an option.

I assume by boost, you mean boots. At 15, her feet are (probably) done growing. Since from what you are saying, she aslo probably has skinny small feet. A low volume junior race boot would be where I would start. I know I said "race boot" but I am tbinking more in fit than race, they tend to be lower volume boots. There will be some women's versions that will share the same shells so don't hesitate to consider them too.

TS
R

Redherring

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks Philpug, I will look into the models you suggested. I do agree with your concern about short adult ski being too stiff. What are your thoughts on renting junior skis for her for this season, and then later in spring, assuming she gets above 100 lbs, going for Volkl Flair 75 in 147 length? Or would these be too long for her? Thank you.

Sponsor

Staff online