• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl Carver Access for Newbie

MrMayonnaise

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to skiing! I rented skis for the first time and went about 2 weeks ago. I want to get some used skis for my first set. That way if they get beat up real bad im not freaking out.

Well a guy is selling 2 pairs of Volkl Carver Access skis, one is 167cm and the other 160cm. Both skis have Marker 27 bindings. I was fit for between 156 and 162 at a shop in town.

I cant find much info on these skis or bindings. Would they be a good buy for someone just starting out? Its only like $120 for both pairs, a bag, and 2 sets of poles (size not listed).

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hi there and welcome!!!

I'll leave the big advice for the powers that be but one idea is seasonal rentals. This way you can swap out skis as you progress. We don't give first timers and many newer skiers poles at the mountains where I teach so not having them will allow you to work on your balance and other movements. Sometimes when learning poles can hinder things rather than be helpful. Usually people size down a bit when learning as shorter skis are easier to control. Nowadays my skis are 163-170cm but when i was learning I was on 148cm which made lift a lot easier.

Folks will ask this so what is your height/weight.

LJH

Skier
I just did a little Google search and those are pretty darn old....like 2002. The issue may be that the bindings are no longer indemnified which means that most shops will not work on them.

I also saw a pair of 183's on eBay and they were asking $29 for them ;-)

Cheers,
Jim

TS
MrMayonnaise

MrMayonnaise

Skier
Hi there and welcome!!!

I'll leave the big advice for the powers that be but one idea is seasonal rentals. This way you can swap out skis as you progress. We don't give first timers and many newer skiers poles at the mountains where I teach so not having them will allow you to work on your balance and other movements. Sometimes when learning poles can hinder things rather than be helpful. Usually people size down a bit when learning as shorter skis are easier to control. Nowadays my skis are 163-170cm but when i was learning I was on 148cm which made lift a lot easier.

Folks will ask this so what is your height/weight.

I am 5'9" and weigh about 130ish lbs. Im not sure if any shops here in Las Vegas do seasonal rentals. I checked around a fair bit before i went and everyone only had one and two day rates.

But dang! 20 year old skis dont sound too safe worth it for that price. What would you guys say is a good range of safe, usable skis that shops would work on if needed. Im not opposed to buying again in a year or two once i have figured everything out.

TS
MrMayonnaise

MrMayonnaise

Skier
@MrMayonnaise try contacting http://www.leecanyonlv.com/ and see if they do seasonal rentals.
I sent them an email. Hopefully they get back to me quick as their phone just kept rolling to voicemail.

What about a pair of Volkl Ledge 163cm from 2013? They look like they in great shape. Guy claims they were only skied on a few times. What would you guys be expecting something like that to be worth?

Sponsor

Staff online