• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thought I would contribute my .02.

I am a diabetic (type 1, insulin-dependent since age 10). I am now 55. I have had vision complications, diabetic retinopathy, for several decades. Two kinds, proliferative and background. Proliferative is where your eyes are trying to grow new blood vessels, because eye tissue isn’t getting enough oxygen. However these new blood vessels are brittle and tend to grow out into the vitreous cavity of the eye rather than lay on the surface of the retina. Quick movements can cause them to break in the thick viscous fluid and hemorrhage. I’ve had laser treatment to prevent these new vessels from growing further, and to create little scars so new blood vessels don’t grow in the first place. The downside is a loss of peripheral vision and some night vision issues.

I’ve also had laser surgery for background retinopathy, where the blood vessels hemorrhage, sometimes a little, sometimes a little more, and that little more can be noticeable. Not just the occasional floaters, but what looks like a streak of red accross your vision, that slowly dissipates. The vitreous gel in our eyes if pretty viscous stuff, so it takes a while to dissipate. My ophthalmologist has informed me the blood cells then fall to the bottom of the eye and eventually adhere to the surface at the bottom there. So the advice to sleep with your head propped up is pretty spot on. It does get better, just takes a while. Wear a patch if it helps, you probably won’t need it more than a week or so.

In 2015 at the Jackson Gathering, on my first day, I had one of those hemorrhages. And it was foggy at times. And I had just had cataract surgery in one eye; the other eye was supposed to be done already but my ophthalmologist was recovering from breast cancer. Guess I couldn’t complain. So I had one eye that was impaired due to needing the cataract removed, and the other eye with a hazy red clouds impairing my vision.

I still skied 5 days, and still drove home to Seattle. Had my other cataract done. I’ve had great vision since then, and my retinopathy has stabilized, in part due to extremely careful glucose control.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've had a spontaneous vitreous detachment in both eyes, about a year apart - all of a sudden I'm seeing stars and weird shit floating around in my vision. Scared the hell out of me but my ophthalmologist said he sees 10 cases a week. Had to make sure the retina was still attached but my vision was back to normal in about a month in both cases.

Getting old sucks, if you don't know by now.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Wear the patch, and get a feather for the helmet.

"Did ye leave the keys in the cARRRRR?"
"With no depth perception, I'll be shiverin in me timber soon."

Its better to be a pirate than a ninja. Pirates have wenches.

Just remember on the way down, its port to starboard transitions. (PORT = LEFT, both have 4 letters, had to make it easy, they are sailors.)

You may be able to answer the question, "Are snowboarders walking their own planks?"

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you all for the helpful advice! Kind of depressing but I am feeling better after reading your posts. I want to get back skiing ASAP.

Been experimenting with different eye patches.

The pirate patch works best for computer work. The below works best for watching TV. Bought the headband at Disney World when I was a kid but it works.
8F862726-96D7-44A2-8B08-783F7377617E.jpeg

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
So sorry to hear about your unplanned entry to piratehood. It's no fun to be sidelined. Fwiw, my mom had cancer in her eye about 20 years ago. After radiation it continued to spread and she had to have the eye removed. I was worried about her driving, and she showed me an article her doctor had given her about a one-eyed pilot who was still flying. Pretty cool.

My mom drives like a champ and still rides horses.

In the glass half full camp, the fact that your doc didn't ixnay skiing for the season is pretty awesome IMO. Glad the patch and the right goggles are helping.

Not sure if you already wear computer glasses but if not, they might be worth looking into. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So sorry to hear about your unplanned entry to piratehood. It's no fun to be sidelined. Fwiw, my mom had cancer in her eye about 20 years ago. After radiation it continued to spread and she had to have the eye removed. I was worried about her driving, and she showed me an article her doctor had given her about a one-eyed pilot who was still flying. Pretty cool.

My mom drives like a champ and still rides horses.

In the glass half full camp, the fact that your doc didn't ixnay skiing for the season is pretty awesome IMO. Glad the patch and the right goggles are helping.

Not sure if you already wear computer glasses but if not, they might be worth looking into. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I do have glasses especially for the computer.

If my wife doesn’t completely forbid me I think I might try skiing tomorrow.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
You are right about sunglasses. I just went and put my amber lenses goggles on and things looked better.

I am doing absolutely nothing the next few days to hasten the healing. I’m also sleeping propped up to help blood drain off my retina.

To avoid back/neck issues from bulky pillow supports, try putting something like pieces of wood under the bed legs at the head end.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
To avoid back/neck issues from bulky pillow supports, try putting something like pieces of wood under the bed legs at the head end.

I have been sleeping on the couch so I can prop myself up.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied today and drove today. My bad eye is probably at 60%, but my good eye compensated pretty well.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My eye is much better but all of that whiteness at Breck a couple weeks ago makes me realize there is still a lot floating around in there.

74CAD5B7-C3F9-4C19-98FD-532328708CDD.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I completely forget about all the floaters most of the time...until there is a bright background and I see a bunch. Damn it, you just made me look at them again.

My opthalmologist (who was treating my retinopathy) discharged me back to my regular ophthalmologist (who did my cataract surgeries in 14-15), and my eye exams are back to annual check ups rather than every 6 months or quarterly, so we’ll see, but things are pretty stable, it seems. And there’ll still be floaters for a while, possibly a very long while.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I was told my floaters are there for life, but my brain would learn to overlook them. I can only "see" them if I turn my head to the side like getting water out of an ear. Then they're all over briefly. My cataracts are progressing slowly. Doc keeps saying, maybe next year.

If you're coming to Breck let me know.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I had a PVD (posterior vitreal displacement) back in 2010. I had a huge floater in my left eye. I was told by my eye doc he sees 10 of these a week too, @Fuller (which to that I call BS - the entire town would have one within 2 years). I gave it 6 months to get better.

I went here for laser eye surgery to correct the floater, which was the remains of the part of the vitreous that goes over the occular nerve (called a weiss ring).

http://www.vitreousfloaters.com/

An immediate improvement the first day. After 4 sessions over 4 days, I was very happy. I can't believe more people don't get this fixed, and I certainly don't condone the optometrist's casual "it'll get better on it's own" brushoff.

I'm in the testimonial section - I look a bit frazzled after having my pupils dilated every day for 4 days.

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This flock of birds is a good comparison as to what I see in my eye. And just like these birds it is constantly moving.

It is an improvement though as the “blob” used to be solid.
E8D5C888-1E82-4382-9E35-30824C12EAE2.jpeg

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Like a shower curtain with spots on it? That's what mine always seemed to me to be. The loose membrane floating around in the back of my eye, always waving around with any eye movement. Drove me nuts looking at a computer screen.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Dave: I am sorry to read about blood in your vitreous humor. It can be scary but you will likely be fine with time. But probably a good idea to give it time to heal and to treat your body gently.

It first happened to me when I was 7 years old on my first trip to Disneyland. The vitreous humor in my left eye filled up with blood, obscuring all light. The ophthalmologist diagnosed it as "nonspecific uveitis." The blood was eventually absorbed and vision regained but it was never as sharp due to the underlying inflammation in that eye. It also left me with monoscopic vision because my brain at that early age compensated by relying/depending upon my good right eye. The Dr. put me on oral steroids.* And also had me wear pinhole glasses in an attempt to regain stereoscopic vision. It didn't work. In your case, because you are older, your brain is likely hard wired by now to see with both eyes stereoscopically, so although you should raise that issue with your Dr., you are likely fine.

Later at age 16 when I was admitted early into U.C. Davis (I thought I was really smart, but was soon disabused of that...) the same thing happened to my right eye. I had to have a person read the text books to me for 6 months (and my Mom had to drive me to and from college - How uncool and how lucky is that?) .

The Dr. prescribed oral steroids, the blood was absorbed, and the right eye regained complete vision. Which is likely your prognosis. But be gentle on yourself in the meantime.

I am now 64 and knock on wood I haven't had any blood in the vitreous humor since 16. But when I get floaters I still get scared a little. Bottom line, is life is a gift and should be appreciated as such. But based on my little experience with the issue, you are likely going to be just fine.

* At 45 years of age my cataracts were so severe from the use of oral steroids that my lens in each eye was replaced with a plastic lens (cataract surgery) for a long time I could see so clearly that I thought I had x-ray vision and they used that opportunity to almost completely correct my nearsightedness.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well this has taken a turn for the worse. Had emergency surgery last week for a retinal detachment.

Been forced to lay on my side the past 5 days without moving. A few days to go. They put a gas bubble in my eye to hold repair in place.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well my 10 days of not moving my head are over and now I can sit up and do some things. Still have 3 to 7 weeks of recovery. They put a gas bubble in my eye to hold the repairs in place.

Glad it is spring and I have quite a few months to heal before ski season.

Kind of hesitant to mention skiing to my doctor, but how many of you have skied after a retinal detachment? I am determined to not let this change my way of living (long term).