• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Been having vision issues in my right eye. I think it happened when I skied over some hard-packed chop on Saturday. Didn’t fall but it was pretty jarring. Skied yesterday but it was difficult to see.

My wife took me to an ophthalmologist today and he said I had blood pooling in my eye. They did an ultrasound and it showed the retina was attached but that I had a vitreous hemorrhage. The only remedy is time for the blood to disappear (like weeks or months).

I asked the doctor about skiing and driving but he really wouldn’t say anything definitive.

Anyone have any ideas how to hasten this along?

I plan on doing nothing until this weekend hoping for the blood to settle. I have a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ooof. On the upside, at least you can see the phone screen. It took me 3 weeks to see well enough to be trusted to cut carrots.

Mine was from a fight over 30 years ago - no idea if there's time-effective treatment now.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooof. On the upside, at least you can see the phone screen. It took me 3 weeks to see well enough to be trusted to cut carrots.

Mine was from a fight over 30 years ago - no idea if there's time-effective treatment now.

My left eye has perfect vision — my right eye looks like I am looking through foggy ski googles.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I read I can expect a 1% improvement per day.

Sucks because with my new head i.magnum skis I’ve never been skiing better. Hopefully I can get back out in a week.

Dr told me I should sleep with a raised head for better draining.

Maybe if my vision isn’t good enough to ski by late January I should attend SIA In Denver.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
My wife had several tears in her left eye, and they cauterized them with a laser.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife had several tears in her left eye, and they cauterized them with a laser.

I wish mine was on the surface, but it is in the eye by the retina.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That sounds like one of those long term average things. I remember it would vary during the day, so don't get bummed out if you wake up and see no progress (sorry, couldn't resist).

Yeah, last night riding with my son driving back to college it seemed worse. Today in the bright sunshine it seems slightly better.

Actually I skied Ok yesterday, but as crowds grew it became trickier. My doctor suggested I could wear an eye patch.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
2932D252-D190-4390-9EC3-90F2F92ECFAC.jpeg
And talk like a pirate! We came fer yer powderrrrrrrrr!!!!

Funny you should say that -

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously wondering how hard it would be to ski with that eyepatch , and driving to the slopes.

Guess I am in good company.
C80AC430-5C6F-41CF-B1CA-C6A0E501B144.jpeg

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I hope your recovery is speedy. I'm not sure where you live but...

The NSCD (National Sports Center for the Disabled) at Winter Park might be able to help you. Make a trip out here and let experts on skiing with vision impairment help you cope while you heal.

(Great excuse for a ski trip!)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
People who have glaucoma (build-up of pressure inside the eye from accumulation of fluid) take eyedrops to allow the fluid inside the eye to drain, so no optic nerve damage will occur. Check out the glaucoma eyedrops. Who knows, maybe they will allow the blood to drain faster. This is prescription medication.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All it really does is mess with your depth perception because eyes triangulate to measure distance geometrically in your brain. Folks seem to adjust just fine. I've known a couple people with one eye who had no problems with driving or sports. You'll be glad when it is back. I've had to wear a patch for a day or so once with a scratched cornea and HATED IT.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A couple years ago I was carrying a giant icicle and the top broke off and stabbed me in the eye (yes, I stabbed myself in the eye with an icicle). Having never been to the ophthalmologist before, it was pretty excruciating when they had to poke around my eye forever to make sure the retina was still attached. Luckily it was just an eyeball contusion. They gave me steroid eyedrops and my vision was back to 20/20 in a month. Sunglasses help, even indoors.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My visually impaired friend loved the adaptive program at Winter Park.

I hoping to not be visually impaired too long, but it could be a couple months. But I am being optimistic giving myself a week to be back skiing.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple years ago I was carrying a giant icicle and the top broke off and stabbed me in the eye (yes, I stabbed myself in the eye with an icicle). Having never been to the ophthalmologist before, it was pretty excruciating when they had to poke around my eye forever to make sure the retina was still attached. Luckily it was just an eyeball contusion. They gave me steroid eyedrops and my vision was back to 20/20 in a month. Sunglasses help, even indoors.

You are right about sunglasses. I just went and put my amber lenses goggles on and things looked better.

I am doing absolutely nothing the next few days to hasten the healing. I’m also sleeping propped up to help blood drain off my retina.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hoping to not be visually impaired too long, but it could be a couple months. But I am being optimistic giving myself a week to be back skiing.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that it would be permanent, just a comment based on another poster's suggestion. Sounds scary!

Sponsor