• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Visiting JHMR: Recommend race coach for 10-yo daughter

pj415

Booting up
Skier
Family trip to JHMR for Presidents Week. Daughter is in the local mountain alpine race program. Don’t want her to fall too far behind. Can anyone recommend JHMR instructors experienced in alpine race? Thanks!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Having a son who's name is carved on the JHSC's most outstanding skier trophy, I would URGE you to have her free ski every minute of every day that she can while there. What a gift. I guess I might take her to Snow King one day so that she can see where the JHSC is based.....right on the edge of town. Kids typically train under the nights after school. Pretty neat. Special. JHMR is arguably the best free skiing in the country. Kids her age in the ski club free ski the vast majority of their time. Ski club is independent of the JHMR. Instructors who have race backgrounds there....dunno. People with race backgrounds in town.....big numbers.

I'd free ski with her all week, put a big smile on her face. Depending on where you are from, should be very memorable and great week. She's TEN.

BTW, for kicks, just asked one of the top U16 coaches in the country his opinion. He laughed and said....just ski. He'd love to be able to have his kids skiing at the Village on a regular basis. Every big name skier to grow up there became who they are because of ripping the big mountain. In terms of some that your daughter might follow.....think Breezy Johnson.

I know a number who moved there to coach, and quickly bailed on that to be able to free ski the big mountain, the Tetons, the pass.

Have a blast. Amazing how they remember those trips, decades later! And at 10, agree she will not be falling behind!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Make that big mountain free skiing experience even more memorable by hooking her up with an instructor/coach/guide with a race background. There are many highly qualified at JHMR.

what is Resi Stiegler up to these days?

@TPJ

James

Out There
Instructor
Get a guide. Learn some soft snow touch. Used to be standard fare before everyone lost their minds with Mikaela.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@pj415 if u want to throw in a little race time with the free skiing, nastars always fun, the course is on Moran and open pretty much every day there’s not too much snow or it’s Monday or they’re not in the mood. What @Muleski said is true race kids here freeski much of the time esp at u10/u12 level , not that much time in gates. I dunno much about instructors at the resort, the race training that happens in town happens at snow king ... courses are only set at the village like 4 times a year for specific races, and the kids dont train there. Jhmr is a gigantic super fun playground, your kid will love it and be way more hyped about skiing when u get home to your race program.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
We skied in Montana for a week over winter break. No gates. My daughter came back and her first race was clearly improved. Confidence booster--skiing powder/trees/beat-up groomers at pace.

Sponsor

Staff online