• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vintage K2 Skis - please help to identify year of model ...

Kenny T

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello fellow ski lovers, i found this vintage K2 set on garbage night yesterday ... looks circa 1970's/1980's ... does anyone know the year of issue? my research online has failed so far ... thanks!!!

KT
20200601_203750.jpg

TS
K

Kenny T

Skier
wonderful quick replies folks .. thanks ... will wait to see others chime in .... i saved all my skis since the 80's ... hanging on my wall ... cool stuff

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
OK I've been looking for a pair of those for years...I would trade or out right buy them from you...how much????????????????

Rick Glesner

TS
K

Kenny T

Skier
Hi Rick, i might decide to keep them ... send me an offer via PM

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are those pivot bindings ? Is that too much shape for the 70 's? My first skis were in '81 (chickens) and they were pretty much dead straight.

edit. those are beautiful skis. I still have a pair of comp 710s friend gave me that I love having, though they only see end of season soft snow days, and really very few of those.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Are those pivot bindings ? Is that too much shape for the 70 's
The ski looks wide because the pic shows a bit of base from the second ski, making the tip look wide.
The bindings are Look-Nevada N77 or they might be N17s. Either way we are talking about the binding that the Pivot is based on. The basic Look turntable heel goes back to the 1960s (possibly earlier).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The 255 was post WinterHeat 75?+
K2 Winter Heat came out in mid winter 1975 in Canada. There was an assembly plant in Calgary and I got to demo the first pair that came into the ski shop at Lake Louise. They were horribly railed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Remember too, this is from a time when a model's graphics were in the line for 3 and sometimes 4 years. The N77 that is on it is a pre brake model so I would say it is from the 77-78 range verses 78-79...but we are splitting hairs here. Itis a "late 70's" era ski.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Remember too, this is from a time when a model's graphics were in the line for 3 and sometimes 4 years. The N77 that is on it is a pre brake model so I would say it is from the 77-78 range verses 78-79...but we are splitting hairs here. Itis a "late 70's" era ski.

The skiing magazine link I provided above clearly states it is a new model for the 76-77 model year.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
First post in the K2 thread and one of my all time favorite ski ads

1591280479494.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The skiing magazine link I provided above clearly states it is a new model for the 76-77 model year.

It does - and we could use @Philpug's point about the bindings to firmly state '77 but as we all know stock carries over from year to year, so we'd be well within the imprecision zone.

What, IMO, your magazine link is more important for is to demonstrate different release dates for the 255, 255 Soft and 255 Mid. This was not immediately - or at all really - evident in the K2 thread.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
It does - and we could use @Philpug's point about the bindings to firmly state '77 but as we all know stock carries over from year to year, so we'd be well within the imprecision zone.

What, IMO, your magazine link is more important for is to demonstrate different release dates for the 255, 255 Soft and 255 Mid. This was not immediately - or at all really - evident in the K2 thread.

Well, the OP was asking what was the year of issue of the ski model. That is what I was answering, not what model year the pictured ski was.

Sponsor

Staff online