• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Funny thing about Jackson Hole is the real estate is like Aspen prices but the food and drinks are about half Aspen prices.

and plus 1 on the 49er. Not expensive and right in town, hot tubs, breakfast.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some other tips:
If its a powder day, hike up the Headwall and ski down to Rendevous Lodge. Experience is sublime, if exhausting; I think I posted a pic, in the other JHMR thread, from a bluebird powder day I had there a few weeks ago.
Other runs to try I haven't seen mentioned:
On a powder day, Crowheart, Pathfinder and Big Horn in the Saratoga Bowl off the après Vous lift.
For glades, Moran Face, Washakie Glade and Grizzly Glade off the Teton lift.
Any of the black runs under the base of the Casper quad (Jackson Face, etc)
I love the variety and length of the Hobacks, Lower Sublette Ridge, Rawlins Bowl, South Colter Ridge, etc., but they are all extremely snow and weather dependent (they're down low and SE facing. On a good day, they are everything the Vail back bowls wish they were but never are.
Riverton Bowl off Thunder, and Pepi's Run off Sublette are also worth trying.
Tram is a must on a clear day.
Rendevous Bistro in town is a good bet for a reasonably priced dinner.
For an actual moose sighting, look along Snake River banks on way to and from mountain, and along side the access road to the airport.

Finally, you'll be banned from this board if you don't hit the Mangy Moose after skiing, and pound a Mirror Pond Pale Ale or two.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
plus 1 on the 49er
The 49er is in the town square inns group with 3 others -- all good, all use their private bus. Quick and easy. Start Bus if you hang around for awhile (e.g. Moose) before heading home.

If you are locked into the Motel 6 because on non-cancellation or because its cheaper (and I think is, though the others aren't bad) the Start Bus is good. It's just that the private bus is even better.

Not applicable for you, but when staying at Teton Village I found taking the Start Bus into town for dinner or drinks and then a taxi back worked very well. That was before the rise of Uber/Lyft, so those are probably good options these days too.

[edit to add - had car for more recent trips. I get a car for a group, no car for a solo trip.]

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For an actual moose sighting, look along Snake River banks on way to and from mountain, and along side the access road to the airport.

If you see a bunch of cars on the side of the road for no reason, there is a moose nearby.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eleanors Bar & Grill is not too far from the Motel 6, funky little dive in back of the Plaza Liquors. (literally in back. you have to walk through the liquor store)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Gun Barrel also nearby; great steaks.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Ha, is it? Or is it just a facade of what the old west is supposed to looks like in tv and movies and really just full of silicon valley millionaires
Lol!! Haha I won’t be arriving at JH via private plane.. more like super economy wearing all my ski clothes so I don’t have to check an extra bag ; p

bmoreiskier

Booting up
Skier
I agree with the 49er recomendation, in town and walkable to everything and the private shuttle. I'd also check out the rustic inn for a little more which includes a better breakfast than 49er, nicer rooms, private shuttle to ski area, and they pick you up and take you to the airport as well. Stayed at rustic many times including 2 weeks ago with my wife and kids and did 49er last year with my brother. Worth noting that the rustic will not take you to the airport if your flight is early, like before nine.

I wouldn't worry about the weather as others have mentioned it should be good that week and if not stick to the upper mountain and the north facing slopes. I would be sure to check our pepis/spilt rock off sublette for some steeper wide tree skiing. I agree that the elk refuge is worth checking out if the elk are near the sleighs, you will drive past the refuge on the way into town from the airport and can check it out. As others have mentioned mangy moose is worth checking out. I also like to hit Local in town for the happy hour my first day, good crowd and good food. Get the wings and some burgers. Enjoy!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Ha, is it? Or is it just a facade of what the old west is supposed to looks like in tv and movies and really just full of silicon valley millionaires

Ha!
On one flight in JH, the pilot told the passengers to check out the parked jet with USA markings. It was the plane assigned to then VP Dick Cheney. On a more personal note, I have some resentment for the CEO of the company where I spent 35 years, who merged us and walked away with over $30M, part of which he used to become a JH landowner. Those who remained paid dearly for that merger. Still, at least for this easterner, JH has solid touches of the old west, I remember doing some apre skiing with a bunch of great guys who were local cowboys.

Sponsor

Staff online