• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Camelback gets a million skiers??? They added "and outdoor recreationalists" so I sure as hell hope that's including summer traffic. The was enough carnage on the slopes back when I was there 16 years back.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty basic overview. It doesn't talk the feeder hills like Timber Hill/Alpine Mountain and all of the old classic resorts that had their own ski area's...Buck Hill, Skytop, Pocono Manor..the list goes on. No mention of Montage or Elk but Ski Big Bear?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I never realized just how blessed (ski wise) I was for living only about 2 to 3 hrs from the gateway to skiing and all the wonderful hills with all their openness and empty miles of breathtaking scenery and runs. No to mention being filled with the zoos consisting of demographics who display the utmost respect, etiquettes, and common courtesies in the country. Yes im turning into a miserable old bastard.

But I do suppose I got it made vs one who lives in Georgia or south Carolina as at least Im able to access skiing. I suppose its all relative. LOL :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty basic overview. It doesn't talk the feeder hills like Timber Hill/Alpine Mountain and all of the old classic resorts that had their own ski area's...Buck Hill, Skytop, Pocono Manor..the list goes on. No mention of Montage or Elk but Ski Big Bear?
Don't forget Mt. Airy golf course/ski hill! My first skiing was at Buck Hill back in the very early 70s. Poma, baby! I worked at Mt. Airy in 8th grade. Camelback was the go-to for us at Pocono Mt. High School, night skiing being the big draw. And who could forget the summer or two of "grass" skiing at Camelback? Or the Alpine Slide as they transitioned from only a ski area to a year-round attraction? Good times, no doubt, but I'll do my skiing out west as I get older!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, Elk is in the Endless Mountains, not the Poconos, but not sure about Montage. We use a broad brush to cover all NE PA resorts as "the Poconos", but this article and website are being pretty specific. No mention of Bear Creek and Spring Mtn as well.

I still find it amazing that snowmaking started at Big Boulder.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah yes, the "back yard". Andy and Phil may have escaped but others of us still wait our turn and still ply the mighty Pocono's for winter fun. Actually its not that bad and I can think of a lot worse places to be.

Certainly the butt of a lot of jokes but for me having 800 vertical feet of snow less then an hour from the house has not been a bad thing. I basically use it as a skiing gym and firmly believe the yo-yoing and repetition I do there helps my skiing at the bigger resorts in Northern New England and out in the Rockies. When they tack on moguls, as they have been doing more of lately, one can get a very nice skiing workout in a couple of hours time.

As with all the industry, things have gotten better in the Pocono's. The snowmaking systems are impressive. Despite all the talk of changing climates, etc. the seasons here have actually gotten longer. Recovery from rain events is usually very quick and very efficient. Used to be a December 15th-March 15th season was about as good as it got. Today Camelback, my home bump, got open in November and is still going strong (100%) in early April. They close Sunday but like last year they probably have enough to go 2 more weeks.

Like Phil and Andy I have my escape to the west planned, however, as long as I live here in Northern New Jersey I will take advantage of what I got and ski here.

IMG_3322.JPG

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Well I don't mean to be a wet blanket about the article but the opening statement that in 1946 Big Boulder was the first commercial ski resort in PA is wrong. Laurel Mountain opened for the 1940/41 season. I believe Laurel was PA's first purposely built, full service ski area with a rope tow lift that was designed as such (not an old car on jacks), lodge that housed rentals, food service, and also offered lessons by Hannes Schneider trained ski school director, Hans Van Bergh who taught at Laurel for that opening season but was drafted into the Netherlands Free Army at the end of the season. As proof I offer the first Laurel Mountain travel brochure listing lift, lesson and rental prices and directions to the ski area:

Laurel 1940 1st brochure - 1.jpg Laurel 1940 1st brochure - 2.jpg Laurel 1940 1st Brochure - 3.jpg Laurel 1940 1st Brochure - 4.jpg
AF1QipPZ6vzvXywMy9zUPX_87P-o9603wGxHTnBhCk40

Attachments

• Van Bergh Capture.JPG
    Van Bergh Capture.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online