Vehicular biking - 2018

Discussion in 'Road, City, and Gravel Bikes' started by jmeb, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

So we've got mountain biking and road biking threads. But how about a thread for those of us using bikes around town as tranport: to work, to grocery, to ice cream, to a beer, or just over to the park on a Sunday evening.

Could've used a bigger basket this morning on the commute to work / tuxedo return.

[​IMG]

Rainbow Jenny and Mendieta like this.
  2. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Is that a porteur rack or just stays to support the basket?

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

My need to carry big stuff is pretty rare. And in general for knocking about town, commuting, grocery/farmers marketing, I prefer a basket.

That said, I've got a current bar bike I was thinking deserved a Cetma rack. Or if I want to get really weird, a cargo fork... https://crustbikes.com/products/clydesdale-fork/

[​IMG]

cantunamunch likes this.
  4. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

I would love to ride to work more than I am currently. It's about 12 miles each direction and relatively easy. However, I hate riding with a backpack and I need to have my laptop available at home most of the time so leaving it at the office isn't a good option most of the time. I manage clothes and food just by bringing those in the day before. We have showers available so that part isn't an issue. I was just thinking this morning that I might try to get in a day a week for the rest of the summer starting next week. Bike to Work Day is one of my favorite days of the year so I'm looking forward to that in a couple of weeks.

jmeb likes this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

Racks and panniers! So much better than a backpack. Or my favorite a basket.

Colorado mornings are lovely. Its the afternoons that are a bit tougher.

I'll be at the same Bike to Work day. Slowly moving between various stations on an old cruiser bike that I finds suits the pace of the day quite well.

7. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

I take it messenger bags are also out?

8. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Getting off the lift Skier

Once you get used to the backpack it's not a big deal. But if you get out of the habit its easy to find reasons to skip the bike. I could manage to get home and feed my kids something before their sports, but it's just easier to drive and have 10 minutes to relax or change instead of making every afternoon a big rush.

Rudi Riet likes this.
  9. coskigirl

But I don't want to put racks or panniers on my road bike and I'm not riding my FS mountain bike to work on the roads. I do tend to take my time on BTWD as well. This year I think I'm going to add in a swing over to Pearl Izumi headquarters. Survey Gizmo here in Boulder does bacon. The Boulder Sheriff gave out bike lights last year so I'd like to get another of those. I basically tell my boss I'll make it to the office whenever I make it there.

Spyder does a water station heading home Looks like Crystal Springs Brewery will be doing a bike party after work so I might swing by there for a beer. Oh, actually, now I see that Growler USA, and EVO Rock are also doing bike parties. Should be fun.

I run really hot so having something on my back in 90+ degrees is actually dangerous as I loose most of the surface area wind cooling. Messenger bags just become a fight with keeping it positioned.

I realize that if I really wanted to find a solution I could. Once I start school in August I'll have a lot less time anyhow so more than a day a week isn't likely.

10. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#12

"While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner."

luliski, sparty and Eleeski like this.
  11. coskigirl

I live in a 1 bedroom condo with a 1 car garage that I want to put my car into. Between bikes, skis, camping gear, other random items being stored I just don't have more space.

jmeb likes this.
  12. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

Oh, well now that is just being entirely too reasonable.

Sincerely, fellow with 2 vehicles and a 1 car garage. Neither the miata or van get the garage...that's for the valuable bikes and skis.

13. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

You convinced me right there - we're no strangers to cycling in heat. No problems.

Just asking 'coz messenger bags are less swamp-armpit and far better balanced for on-bike use.

This is where we differ.
    It's academic now - and it takes a bit of adjustment- but once you get the strap(s) right it's far more secure (and less topheavy) than a backpack.

Somewhere on teh internet is my story of delivering a ~60lb gunsmithing jig - and there is no way I could have done it with a pack, not even @telerod15's enormous duffel bag one.

A messenger bag is like a backpack with a dropper post :D

Again speaking academically, sign me up for @jmeb 's n+1 camp. You want something designed to carry a load - and most current roadies aren't. Especially when people load the back rack with food+laptop+clothing and put nothing on the front. The bike becomes stiff in lean but the front wheel flops over, almost like it's not even connected to the frame. Which is bad especially on downhills - or when coming down from a bump under the rear wheel.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    coskigirl likes this.
  14. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Because of the Vehicular Manslaughter... thread I found the title of this thread confusing.

I think of the term more as Commuter Biking.

coskigirl likes this.
  15. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Say 'transportation' and I'm with you.

I think "commuter" is too narrow for the sort of eclectic utility OP was hoping to find a thread home for.

"Hey, I need to get rid of this Japanese maple"
    "No problem, let me get my Klein Pulse and tow it over, I have just the spot for it"

coskigirl and jmeb like this.
  16. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

In bike forums / community, there are lots of name for this: transportation cycling, everyday cycling, utility cycling, vehicular cycling (e.g. using a bike as a main vehicle.) People have their preferences as each emphasize a difference aspect.

Agree that "commuter" is too narrow for what I meant as that's just one aspect of using a bike as an everyday vehicle.

17. RachelV

RachelV Hi. Skier

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use a bag they don't find comfortable, but I do feel like this is an opportunity to share my sister-in-law's genius method for keeping her purse on her back when she bikes: she puts it around the opposite shoulder (vs over one shoulder), and always keeps a carabiner on her purse strap. Then, when she bikes, if the purse is over her left shoulder, she clips that carabiner to a belt loop on her right side. A+ bike commuting tip.

coskigirl and cantunamunch like this.
  18. scott43

scott43 Making fresh tracks Skier

I'll post up a pic of my shitter..I took the kid out in the trailer with it..the downside of using your old race bike to make a shitter is that the low gear is 39x23!! :eek:

19. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Good purse tip. Timbuk2 and other bag makers now include an auxiliary sternum strap that does approximately the same thing.

I don't really need it for light loads, especially if the bag is properly set (bottom of the bag just above the back of the saddle).

You know the other purse tip - for days when 'binerless - adjust straps so it rides high on your non-dominant side (shoulder)?

20. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

That's a great tip, especially if you have a belt loop.