• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vehicle dilemma

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Honda Ridgeline does not get any love here or anywhere...
@Gaby has one and loves it. Other than the misinformed haters who claim" it's not a truck", the Ridgeline gets a good amount of respect. There is a bit of Yogi Berra-isms with the Ridgeline "No one is buying them, they are always sold out". I cannot got to a Lowes or Costco and not see one or three in the parking lot.
I wish Honda made an SUV version...not a Pilot, but the longer wheelbase Ridgeline that would have actual storage space behind the second row.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Gaby has one and loves it. Other than the misinformed haters who claim" it's not a truck", the Ridgeline gets a good amount of respect. There is a bit of Yogi Berra-isms with the Ridgeline "No one is buying them, they are always sold out". I cannot got to a Lowes or Costco and not see one or three in the parking lot.
I wish Honda made an SUV version...not a Pilot, but the longer wheelbase Ridgeline that would have actual storage space behind the second row.

Agreed. But to be fair, the Pilot should be longer, as you say, but so should the Ridgeline. An awesome driving vehicle, but handicapped by a short bed and a torque-free engine.

To be fair, it has adequate torque, but not until 4,000 rpm!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The quintessential Honda of trucks. I don't think they could Honda it any more. If they put another Honda decal on it somewhere, it would make it less Honda.
Sure, some V-tec or SH-AWD emblems could do it. ;)

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
m35i is std awd , it is fwd bias though as the motor transverse mounted. yeah I wanted the inline 6 m tuned but I have 302 bhp b48 4 cyclinder turbo. I saw online that someone put one on a dyno and it put down 297 whp.

Have the same engine(yours has a few small internal changes from mine) in my 2018 Mini JCW and it’s great. I’ve got a BR Performance Stage 1 tune which brought it from the 230hp/230 tq range to the 280hp/300 tq range and transformed the throttle response, improved the exhaust note and highway gas mileage and made it much nicer to drive. Smoother than stock actually. Had it on mine since I got it 2 years ago and had a similar tune on my previous Mini Cooper S for 8 years without issue.

BR Performance stage 1 brings up the power about 40 hp and about 50 lbs ft torque on your car which would make it lots of fun to drive!

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Have the same engine(yours has a few small internal changes from mine) in my 2018 Mini JCW and it’s great. I’ve got a BR Performance Stage 1 tune which brought it from the 230hp/230 tq range to the 280hp/300 tq range and transformed the throttle response, improved the exhaust note and highway gas mileage and made it much nicer to drive. Smoother than stock actually. Had it on mine since I got it 2 years ago and had a similar tune on my previous Mini Cooper S for 8 years without issue.

BR Performance stage 1 brings up the power about 40 hp and about 50 lbs ft torque on your car which would make it lots of fun to drive!
hmm , interesting. The m35i guys says there is no tune on the US version. They are doing the burger tuning with the JB4.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
hmm , interesting. The m35i guys says there is no tune on the US version. They are doing the burger tuning with the JB4.

There might be no customer installable, direct OBD port tune available yet, so the tuner will take out the ECU and then download the new Ecu software directly. I had to do this on mine vs my older 2010 has OBD port options like Cobb Tuning that the owner could install/uninstall in 5 mins.

Piggy Backs like Burger are easy for even the consumer to install but they will not be as responsive or “factory like” compared to an actual tune as the piggy back boxes are taking engine data and then “fooling it” into thinking boost levels/fuel levels etc are lower than they are. The factory Ecu will then modify it up(but at a higher than normal factory level) to get its higher output. The benefit is that piggybacks can be easily removed when factory serviced or the car sold if the customer wants.

I like the BR Performance tunes as they are conservative and drive just like factory but at a higher level. They aren’t in the “max hp” numbers game but it’s just so much more responsive with the tune. Even it’s Green mode has decent passing power on the highway without gearing down now.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
There might be no customer installable, direct OBD port tune available yet, so the tuner will take out the ECU and then download the new Ecu software directly. I had to do this on mine vs my older 2010 has OBD port options like Cobb Tuning that the owner could install/uninstall in 5 mins.

Piggy Backs like Burger are easy for even the consumer to install but they will not be as responsive or “factory like” compared to an actual tune as the piggy back boxes are taking engine data and then “fooling it” into thinking boost levels/fuel levels etc are lower than they are. The factory Ecu will then modify it up(but at a higher than normal factory level) to get its higher output. The benefit is that piggybacks can be easily removed when factory serviced or the car sold if the customer wants.

I like the BR Performance tunes as they are conservative and drive just like factory but at a higher level. They aren’t in the “max hp” numbers game but it’s just so much more responsive with the tune. Even it’s Green mode has decent passing power on the highway without gearing down now.
I looked at the BR performance site. 35 bhp gain is pretty decent. Thanks for letting me know about. The new JCW GP has the exact same tune as the M Power tune now, with the same horses.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I looked at the BR performance site. 35 bhp gain is pretty decent. Thanks for letting me know about. The new JCW GP has the exact same tune as the M Power tune now, with the same horses.

Not a fan of the wheel air diffusers on the Mini GP but it has a great gearbox and engine. Like your X2, the GP should see similar gains with tuning.

If you look at the dyno charts on the BR Performance site, the peak power difference is about 35hp but after the peak power is reached on the factory tune at about 5000 rpm, there is a noticeable drop off in power. With the tuned engine, the power still climbs after 5000 rpm, so the difference at the 6500 rpm redline is closer to 60 hp more!
That’s what I noticed the most is the factory tune seems to die after 5k but after tuning it pulls hard to redline.

C9D83FAD-80EE-494F-A303-634E451A2D30.png

Sponsor

Staff online