• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey I'm looking for a 95-99mm wide ski to add to my quiver for midwest powder days and trips out west. I love all things Atomic but don't hear a lot about their non-racing skis on this site. I found 2019 Vantage 97 Ti's on Evo.com for $299 (!) which seems like an insanely good deal for a new ski.

Can some share info on this ski?

I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. Like skiing fast groomers, charging hard, off piste in the trees and bowls out west. Not much for bumps at this point. Looking for a wider ski that has a lot of rocker and is easy to break free and is more playful.

My everyday skis right now are a 86 underfoot K2 Amp aftershock and a Rossignol Hero LT race ski. Both of which I really enjoy.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Phil. for $300 it's hard to not take a long long look at these.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found 2019 Vantage 97 Ti's on Evo.com for $299 (!) which seems like an insanely good deal for a new ski.

I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. Like skiing fast groomers, charging hard, off piste in the trees and bowls out west. Not much for bumps at this point. Looking for a wider ski that has a lot of rocker and is easy to break free and is more playful.

Not sure you aren't more of a candidate for the Backland, given your criteria above. Blister has written extensively about both.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I demo'd the 95C at the gathering in WB years ago. Purchased the next year for exactly what you're saying. The 95 became the 97 the year after. I'm smaller than you, so the Carbon was the right one for me. Ti should be good for you. Mine are 171, and I'm only 155lb.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Buy it. I love mine. Spent many, many days on the last year in a vast range of conditions, from fairly firm West coast "ice", to 15 inches of blower. Not the perfect ski for rather of those conditions, but it handled both extremely well.
If you have not spent much time on skis with carbon, it may take a little getting used to as they can feel somewhat brittle, but this is just a byproduct of the amount of carbon in them. Some people don't even notice.
I would also suggest mounting them behind the line, as the mount point is noticably too far forward on the ski. Currently I have mine 5cm back. I wouldn't go that extreme right away; 2cm should be fine.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd probably get a 188, but Evo.com also has the 172 and 180 on sale.

How much rocker do these actually have?
I ski a 184 length in the 90 CTi at 215-220 lbs. Id say definitely get the 188.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Absolutely get the 188. I wish it came in a 195ish and I'm your height. (part of why I mounted it further back was to trick myself into thinking I'm on a longer ski)

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just read this review for the ski and it doesn't look like this is the ski I want...

There's hardly any tail rocker and lots of evidence that the ski isn't great at busting crud or firm off piste snow...

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I disagree with the sentiment that it isn't a good crud ski. Maybe not for a lighter skier, but at 250#/6'3"; you and I are similarly sized. Not knowing your skiing doesn't help, but I think you would find it more than ideal for what you want. Sounds like you need to demo.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I disagree with the sentiment that it isn't a good crud ski. Maybe not for a lighter skier, but at 250#/6'3"; you and I are similarly sized. Not knowing your skiing doesn't help, but I think you would find it more than ideal for what you want. Sounds like you need to demo.

I'm just going by the review which said the ski had a lot of tip deflection and possibly not enough weight or dampness, but I agree a demo would be the best way to go.

Hopefully we get some powder when I'm in Montana in March so I can do a demo day

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm. you are 6'3" 250 lb and would perfer to take the opinions of reviewers that are 5'10-ish 175-180lb verses someone who is your size and a respected reviewer AND owns the ski.
reaction%2Bgif%2Bfirefly%2Bfunny%2Blol%2Bwtf%2Bmeme%2Btrolled.gif

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm. you are 6'3" 250 lb and would perfer to take the opinions of reviewers that are 5'10-ish 175-180lb verses someone who is your size and a respected reviewer AND owns the ski.
reaction%2Bgif%2Bfirefly%2Bfunny%2Blol%2Bwtf%2Bmeme%2Btrolled.gif

Solid point... lol

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Something to remember about demoing; how the ski feels will depend a lot on the tune and the conditions skied. The tume from the factory was pretty solid iirc, but that doesn't mean the ones you ski will be.

SargeSki

Booting up
Skier
I'm almost the same size at 6'4", 250, East Coast skier who was looking for something that could handle the soft snow afternoons that have characterized this season. Demo'd the 97TI in the 188's - liked them, but a little stiff for my needs.

Because I'm still in Dad mode chasing my 7 year old, I opted for the 97C (for those moments when I need to make a quicker short radius turn to play defense on a slope behind him). Really love them! Not completely sold on it being my one ski for everything, but the review about them deflecting is a mismatch with the skier. They are absolute tanks on the slopes, pick your line and they will ski true. Hard pack no problem. Cream cheese snow no problem. Crud no problem. Cutting through a glade no problem (although the TI's were a little stiff for me personally in thinking I could make a quick decision). Ice -- I do have to be mindful, but they still handle A LOT better than I thought they would. I didn't feel a ton of difference between the TI and C's other than that little bit of stiffness and stability at speed vs ability to execute shorter radius turns.

They are FAST skis. I'm normally a 40-45 mph skier, which work well with my other pair (K2 IKonic 80ti), but I came to realize that I have yet to find the upper end of these skis (as evidenced this weekend when I got spooked because they wanted to go faster than I did!). They are a bit heavy feeling below 15mph, but once you get some speed they come alive. I can't talk to powder (because I love in the East), but the difference with them on softer snow is quantitative -- they want to be in powder, and I can't imagine that they won't excel.

I got mine from Evo when they came up for sale, but was eyeing the TIs as well. Prices are still great. Do it man!

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Second hand info, but one of the guys I coach with has a pair and enjoys them a great bit in crud and mixed conditions that still allow for a more race-oriented turn, but he greatly prefers the Bent Chet 100 for trees, powder and such. He's admittedly on the smaller side, but from his description, I'd consider the Vantage if looking for a powerful all-mountain and the Bent Chet 100 if looking for a playful mid-fat.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January