• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Valle Nevado Chile

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
On the plane ready for takeoff for trip back home. Passport checked 5 times, wait, no, 6. I've been swabbed and checked and checked again.
Ok, the road up to valle nevado is a true mtn road. 62 switchbacks, one way with quite heavy traffic. The van had to back up at one point to make the tight turn.
Now for skiing. Snow is not plentiful. Lots of dirt showing, mostly on piste skiing, warm, beautiful, weather. With that said, the snow that was there, was good. Two quad chairs, a couple palmas were those in play. One loooooong Palma led to a good run or perhaps it was just good to get off the platter seat after that long ride. After 5 good days, the warm weather took care of most of the snow and really only one run was skiable. The people checking in this week are not getting much skiing in.
We met some good skiers and 22 fun people. It was a good time. Pics to come.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s get this show on the road. 9E94E2CE-2935-4957-A3D2-7644A954D869.jpeg @Gary Stolt and I joined the Ski Club of Washington DC for this trip to ski Valle Nevado and tour the Santiago region. Gary in the United Club getting some last minute “supplies”.

0686D42C-5039-4B7C-8C50-D9021750B9FD.jpeg Sixty “curvas” on the way up to the mountain.

EECE4E3B-3565-449E-B147-C3420C6ADFBA.jpeg The ski hill

72194B6F-8FF1-4DC1-B913-2F9128818750.jpeg The Puerta del Sol.

TS
Gary Stolt

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I’m sure you’re on a list. Or 2.
When checking in for the flight home, I was excited to see my boarding group changed from "2" to "pre board". I learned later it was so they had time to "select me for additional screening" - after scanning my boarding pass. They even asked permission to pat me down. Didn't think it would be wise to refuse although I would have preferred a more attractive patter downer.
After landing in Santiago, going through customs, the dog sniffed an orange in my bag - or perhaps the Almond Joy candy bar, so I may have been labeled "high risk"

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
When checking in for the flight home, I was excited to see my boarding group changed from "2" to "pre board". I learned later it was so they had time to "select me for additional screening" - after scanning my boarding pass. They even asked permission to pat me down. Didn't think it would be wise to refuse although I would have preferred a more attractive patter downer.
After landing in Santiago, going through customs, the dog sniffed an orange in my bag - or perhaps the Almond Joy candy bar, so I may have been labeled "high risk"

did you declare that you had no prohibited items? I know it used to be a big revenue generator. I remember that as we landed in Santiago, our flight attendant telling us to declare that you had prohibited items so they couldn't fine you. My friend didn't do this and got fined for having some energy bars.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@coskigirl looks like you hit it right for good snow. We got mostly good for you snow. Your pictures show how wide open, ski it all this place can be with snow. We did ski though................

EB9DBAC8-C096-45B5-9F84-6BE676B4BF15.jpeg At the top of Sol1, first day we could get off the groomers

DF08977F-3F27-498A-B1E0-80D3F02FD867.jpeg Under the Andes Express

DCD09D76-F5BC-45F7-936D-2CFE6EB00D01.jpeg @MaryG

9CC08555-DED5-4525-BEBA-00E32625A223.jpeg Hope, Mike and Cindy, the Liberty Crew at the top of Tres Puntas, glaciers in the background

This trip was on my bucket list, but I think I would go back without too much arm twisting. Made some great new friends the group reminded me of us (pugski).

Sponsor

Staff online