• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
4-4.5 hours to Jasper via the parkway. I don't know what's going on with Google maps where it has been redirecting me through Edmonton or Rocky Mountain house, but I've day tripped Jasper enough to know the distance.

230 km from Lake Louise with 90 km/he speed limit except for a handful of short sections.

Dry pavement in the winter is not common though.

Edmonton is only 45km closer than Calgary.

https://www.mapquest.ca/directions/from/canada/ab/calgary-282171392/to/ca/bc/valemount?unit=k

Last edited:

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Checking out Google Earth, the skiable vertical seems to be quite a bit less than the stated total vertical. Does anyone know what the longest top to bottom runs will be? IIRC when I looked at it a few months back, the longest runs were in the 4000ft range. This is quite a bit less than Whistler or Revelstoke.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Whistler is 5200 vertical feet, Revey 5600' and Valemont is supposed to be 6800 or something like that. The question is whether it will be skiable in one continuous run and whether some of the upper mountain runs on the glacier only open in summer? All just speculation on my part.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
As i said in my earlier post, my Google Maps terrain view seems to give a max run of about 1400m from the Mount Pierre Elliot Trudeau down northeast to the access road (2600m down to 1200m) , which is less than Whistler.

From what I can tell, the peaks further back seem to have less potential continuous vert, but I'm not exactly sure of the resort boundaries.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest problem that I have is a lack of confidence in the owner, Oberto Oberti due to his previous track record.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
He should have learned by now how to run a ski resort. I like the idea of summer skiing in BC.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He should have learned by now how to run a ski resort. I like the idea of summer skiing in BC.

There is a difference between successfully running a resort and successfully designing and building a resort.

Oberti has now has experience at both: A poorly designed and failed to make any profit at Kicking Horse and a failed to do more than pour concrete footings at Jumbo.

3rd time is a charm, I hope.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
There is a difference between successfully running a resort and successfully designing and building a resort.

Oberti has now has experience at both: A poorly designed and failed to make any profit at Kicking Horse and a failed to do more than pour concrete footings at Jumbo.

3rd time is a charm, I hope.
If he builds the lifts on the right places I'll be happy(not Kicking Horse-like). As for the rest - we will see.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
If he builds the lifts on the right places I'll be happy(not Kicking Horse-like). As for the rest - we will see.

Kicking Horse is the second best place to ski in Canada. It doesn't make money, but I would rather ski KH than most other hills.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
Kicking Horse is the second best place to ski in Canada. It doesn't make money, but I would rather ski KH than most other hills.
Completely agree, I love Kicking Hose , but the lift set up is crap. I hope the guy learned his lessons.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

And so the best place to ski in Canada, in your opinion is ?????

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
50% of the time it is Whistler, but there are always some periods when I would go with Sun Peaks.

Last time I was at Sun Peaks, it was Tod. Another place I need to go back to.

Actually you can have Whistler. The gathering was my 6th trip and I think I've seen the place once, that was first time there in 1991.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whistler.

I am way too crowd adverse to make Whistler my fav, Plus any place that sells green (or clear) garbage bags with their logo on it and arm and neck holes already cut, is way too prepared for rain.

However from mid April on, after the rest of the B.C. resorts close for lack of people, Whistler still operates with way way less crowds, end of season sales, and April offers a greater chance of sunshine than the rest of the season, so that is when I sometimes go to WB.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time I was at Sun Peaks, it was Tod. Another place I need to go back to.

Actually you can have Whistler. The gathering was my 6th trip and I think I've seen the place once, that was first time there in 1991.

You absolutely will not recognize the place. If you do make it to Sun Peaks, pm me or look me up at Elevation Ski & Bike where I work part time. Of course if you show up a week or two before or after a Pugsk Gathering i will likely be on a truck camper road trip with the Tiadog.

Or I might be on ski trip to Valemont, only about 3 hours away!!

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
You absolutely will not recognize the place. If you do make it to Sun Peaks, pm me or look me up at Elevation Ski & Bike where I work part time. Of course if you show up a week or two before or after a Pugsk Gathering i will likely be on a truck camper road trip with the Tiadog.

Or I might be on ski trip to Valemont, only about 3 hours away!!
I have always wanted to ski Sun Peaks, never got around to doing it. The Aussie gang who go there every season, love it. But then again there were big fights about it. But Canada's second biggest resort is certainly on my to do list. Also Revelstoke and KH, Fernie and Red. Maybe in 5 years time... I just need to keep dreaming:)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always wanted to ski Sun Peaks, never got around to doing it. The Aussie gang who go there every season, love it. But then again there were big fights about it. But Canada's second biggest resort is certainly on my to do list. Also Revelstoke and KH, Fernie and Red. Maybe in 5 years time... I just need to keep dreaming:)

You need to add Whitewater (Nelson BC) to your list; it is the anti-Whistler.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January