• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Val Gardena & Alta Badia Dec. 14-18

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
With a string of races into next week, I thought I would start a thread. Mens SG was yesterday.

This morning was the DH & then the men will be at Alta Badia for a GS & a Parallel Sunday & Monday.
The women will have make up speed events at Val Gardena Monday & Tuesday.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was it yesterday or today,......really really early today, like 12:45 AM today?
I'm not sure if I can't stay up that late, or I can't get up that early.
Watching the replay now.
:)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like the lack of announcers. :D

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Was it yesterday or today,......really really early today, like 12:45 AM today?
I'm not sure if I can't stay up that late, or I can't get up that early.
Watching the replay now.
:)
SG yesterday, DH this morning. I won't watch the DH till later, heading to Alpine for some morning turns.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kilde killled it in the DH. What a day for the Americans -- clearly the talent is there, but not the consistency. Gisin's crash looked bad from the moment he went down. I've skied the Saslong and it's gnarly, even as a recreational skier.

Re Gisin, it almost looked he just caught an edge but also that he might have had some kind of binding failure. Regardless, he went over one of the jumps on his side and landed HARD -- I couldn't tell if his vest inflated or not, but it might not have made a difference.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone on twitter said he wasn’t wearing an airbag. I wonder if it would have made a difference.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
He (Gisin) crossed his tips right before the jump. Considering he has suffered a head injury previously (a few years ago),
Hoping it all turns out okay.
Please post any updates!

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fractured pelvis, four fractured ribs plus head injury, according to the Swiss team (via Steve Porino on Twitter). He has been moved home in Lucern.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I was under the impression that he was flown back "home", but was still hospitalized, and likely to have a lot of tests. I thought the Swiss Federation was going to provide an update, maybe at a press conference, at 4PM, Sunday.

Gisin had a BAD fall and concussion a couple if seasons ago at Kitz. Concussed badly enough to miss the rest of the season. The initial reports, from both sisters, were that he was alert and awake. But they also mentioned that he was unconscious for 30 minutes. Then I heard reports that he was alert, conscious and "fine" {other than the fractures and obviously incredible bruising.}

Later we head that he was somewhat alert, semi-conscious, etc., but well enough to be flown back to Switzerland, and to a hospital there. So I have no idea what the details really are. Porino is normally spot on things.

Having bit of experience with badly concussed skiers {not me}, this sounds scary to me. Might be a career ending crash. Hope not, that's for sure.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Horrible crash and extremely unlucky spot to have it. Don’t have any news re his health right now.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Crossed tips would explain it. He went down suddenly, no time to prepare for impact.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crossed tips would explain it. He went down suddenly, no time to prepare for impact.

If it would have happened 50 meteres further up, it would have been a very different outcome. He would have slided down, but crossing them just before the big jump ... that was extremely unlucky.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
If anyone comes across a YouTube link to the Alta Badia men’s GS run number one, please post it.
I would love to watch it in its entirety before I watch run 2. My Olympic Channel app does not seem to be showing repeats nor does the NBCSN app.
Lately the TV coverage is barely showing any highlights from the first run. Last week they only showed Hirschers first run.

Nice skiing from Nyman & Bennet yesterday! Kilde killed it as did Svindal in SG!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If anyone comes across a YouTube link to the Alta Badia men’s GS run number one, please post it.
I would love to watch it in its entirety before I watch run 2. My Olympic Channel app does not seem to be showing repeats nor does the NBCSN app.
Lately the TV coverage is barely showing any highlights from the first run. Last week they only showed Hirschers first run.

Nice skiing from Nyman & Bismeyer yesterday! Kilde killed it as did Svindal in SG!
Hmmm, we're watching the replay on the apple tv app with NBCSports Gold Snow.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Hmmm, we're watching the replay on the apple tv app with NBCSports Gold Snow.
Probably why they are no longer showing first runs on the other apps., Although they did earlier this season. Gotta get more of our money & time!

Although I have not watched it yet, here is run #2
Luv these guys BTW!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just quick translation of Swiss ski team update, as info I got elsewhere will stay private. Gisin is still in Luzern ER for optimal monitoring and support. Pelvis should be ok, just as well as back (there's small fracture in one of vertebra, but nothing serious), and what's most important, MRI and CT don't show any bad head injuries. He has few broken ribs, that also caused lung damage, but otherwise he's stable and communicates with doctors and relatives on his own, even though he's still intubated.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Just quick translation of Swiss ski team update, as info I got elsewhere will stay private. Gisin is still in Luzern ER for optimal monitoring and support. Pelvis should be ok, just as well as back (there's small fracture in one of vertebra, but nothing serious), and what's most important, MRI and CT don't show any bad head injuries. He has few broken ribs, that also caused lung damage, but otherwise he's stable and communicates with doctors and relatives on his own, even though he's still intubated.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he may not have serious head injury.
Watching the crash it is hard to see where or if his head snapped or hit hard. Maybe partially he was unconscious do to the wind being knocked out of him. Hoping for a complete recovery.

On another note, Hirschers performance today in the GS was dominatingly Hirscher like :eek:!