• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Vail Village skier shuttle dropoff areas

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
Town of Vail website is only showing summer info at present. I'm planning a trip to Vail for shortly after the New Year and debating condos in the village vs. East/West Vail. I'm trying to understand where the skier drop off points are. I've found some info that sounds like they may drop at the Transit Centers near the Vail/Lionshead parking garages, which would leave a fair walk on top of the shuttle time. That would make in the village more attractive, albeit more expensive. However, if the shuttles dropped closer to the lifts, that may change my mind.

I'd live to hear from anyone who has utilized the Vail skier shuttles and your thoughts on the walk after being dropped off.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is definitely walking in Vail, no matter what, unless you stay in a few places near the lifts. Lionshead may be a little shorter, though, than Vail.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
The map is for summer and winter with some routes labeled winter only. I always get off in west lionshead or vail transport center. Both are a decent walk but not a big deal to me. The drop off at cascade and golden peak are closer to the lifts.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
You can get off at Golden Peak which is a base area with a lodge and lifts.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
You can get off at Golden Peak which is a base area with a lodge and lifts.
This will get you closest, Lionshead and Covered Bridge will need to make a little walk. Cant remember the hotel but that one out West of Lionshead has its own lift (Cascade, i think)- never been on it though-stay in Lionshead.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never gotten off at Golden Peak, but yes, Vail and Lionshead are a decent little walk.

I have used the Cascade lift from staying in West Vail a bunch of times, and that's the easiest/least walking when you arrive... BUT you can't ski back to the Cascade lift easily, so you're left walking to one of the other areas at the end of the day which is a decent hike (including some stairs).

If you want to ski back to the lift, you have to take a long base area cat track (Cascade Way) that is sometimes not open early or late season, or can be flat enough to require poling/skating. I've never actually taken it, preferring just to use the other Lionshead stop (which is what my friends that live there do, though they are snowboarders so sensitive to cattracks).

Tom Inca

Booting up
Skier
If staying in West Vail south of the I-70, Cascade is closest. The Vail Red bus drops you off by the lift, with very little walking. This has been my "go to" lift for the past 20 years. Most of the time I get there when the lift opens. 99 percent of the time there is no line. However, last year, for the first time ever, I had to wait in a very long line when it snowed just 5-6 inches (same thing happened to me at Golden Peak; it definitely seems more crowded at Vail than it was before covid). The Cascade lift is old and slow but it gets you there. It takes you to the bottom of Chair 26, which also is uncrowded and is great for a warm up run on Simba. Simba is always freshly groomed in the morning. Lift 26 can lead you to the bottom of Lionshead (beware of long lines at the Eagles Nest gondola, though), or you can ski over to Lift 2 for some great groomers (but get there before 10:30 am before the ski instructors get there, which is typically when the lift starts to back up and have stoppages). My favorite thing to do is to take Cascade, go up 26, ski the Game Creek trail, take the Game Creek lift, and then head into the Sun Down bowl. From there I can stay ahead of the late arriving hoard and work my way west to east across the bowls, all the way to Siberia and Mongolia, in relative solitude, without long lines. There can be really nice, soft ungroomed snow if you stay in the bowls, and perhaps moguls, if that's your thing, especially in January. Going the way I do also can get you into Blue Sky when the lift opens, if you hustle. At the end of the day, I might ski to Golden Peak and take the in-town bus, take the elevator at the transportation center if I don't fell like walking up 3 flights of stairs, and transfer to the Vail Green bus. Very little walking this way.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Golden Peak is definitely the way to go. Bus goes right there, no walk at all. Ski down. We leave our bags behind the sofas, although there is also a locker room downstairs. Covered bridge to the lifts imo is a long walk. Not sure what Lionshead is like these days.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want to ski back to the lift, you have to take a long base area cat track (Cascade Way) that is sometimes not open early or late season, or can be flat enough to require poling/skating. I've never actually taken it, preferring just to use the other Lionshead stop (which is what my friends that live there do, though they are snowboarders so sensitive to cattracks).
I often take the road to Cascade and as long as you keep your speed up you should have little to no polling. To get to the bus, you have to walk up a flight of stairs but almost no additional walking.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Golden Peak is definitely the way to go. Bus goes right there, no walk at all. Ski down. We leave our bags behind the sofas, although there is also a locker room downstairs. Covered bridge to the lifts imo is a long walk. Not sure what Lionshead is like these days.

@Gina D -- Hey, where is this place with the sofas and locker room downstairs? I store my gear at Vista Bahn, and walk to the the transit center, but I dont mind finding something better.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Gina D -- Hey, where is this place with the sofas and locker room downstairs? I store my gear at Vista Bahn, and walk to the the transit center, but I dont mind finding something better.

Children's ski school

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sofas are in the main lodge area. Lockers in the basement.

TS
Eagle93

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you all for the info on options. I ended up finding an acceptable price for a condo at The International so we’ll skip the bus but have almost the same walk.

Sponsor

Staff online