• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

gerathlete

Booting up
Skier
As a long time Perisher skier, I can say that while the management was strong and investment significant before the Vail acquisition it has continued since with great benefits to patrons. Another lift is being installed this summer to replace an old T bar. It sounds like Vail will need to replace senior management at Hotham and Fals Creek and make investment in better infrastructure. Having enjoyed the improvement Vail made to Park City with the new gondola linking PC to the Canyons I would think a similar link if feasible could create an attractive Victorian result from the two separate entities.

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
The GM of Falls Creek Ski Lifts has apparently left, "effective immediately", to "pursue alternate career options". Rumour has it that the Lift Ops Manager is next in the departure lounge. To be expected after the acquisition by Vail. Unlikely however that any tears will be shed in the village.

So far, so good, at least for season ticket holders any Falls Creek. There seems to be a more positive / can-do vibe and attitude in the front line staff. The Australian Epic Pass for next year has been released and the price increase has been moderate. Season pass holders get to use 2 lifts 30 minutes before everybody else on weekends, and during school holidays, which helps clear the queues from the base. Good move.

On the flip side, I gather that walk-up day tickets have jumped in price, but that is anecdotal. I have a season pass, so not sure on that one.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Season pass holders get to use 2 lifts 30 minutes before everybody else on weekends, and during school holidays, which helps clear the queues from the base. Good move.

On the flip side, I gather that walk-up day tickets have jumped in price, but that is anecdotal. I have a season pass, so not sure on that one.

Not heard anything about that bit on season pass holders getting to use lifts 30 mins before others - at Perisher. So, that's a thing at Falls and Hotham? Interesting move - even more encouragement for folk to purchase season pass.

Walk-up day tickets at Perisher were A$161 on weekends this season. Plus A$38 if using the ski train for access. A little cheaper if buying on-line, when buying in advance or buying multi-day.

Thredbo walk-up is A$149 regardless of day of week. (A couple of weekends this season they had to close the access road as not enough parking room so got to think a weekend rate is not too far away there.)

Basically a season pass is good value for anyone skiing 6 days or more.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not heard anything about that bit on season pass holders getting to use lifts 30 mins before others - at Perisher. So, that's a thing at Falls and Hotham?
I believe it was the practice at Falls and Hotham in the past, for Hero Pass holders, and has been extended to Epic Pass holders this year.

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
I believe it was the practice at Falls and Hotham in the past, for Hero Pass holders, and has been extended to Epic Pass holders this year.

Not at Falls, Marty. Not that I can remember and I have been skiing there for 40 years.

I believe Hotham used to, or maybe still does, open the Heavenly chair at 7:30am on some days of the week.