• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Over the last couple of weeks, we have seen the world take numerous measures in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19. For Vail Resorts, that has meant closing all 34 of our North American resorts. That difficult decision was necessary in order to prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, our communities and our guests. Since then, our focus has been on supporting guests and employees in returning home, ensuring the safety of everyone staying in our resorts, transitioning all of our corporate services to “work from home,” and now, today, closing our call center due to stay-at-home orders.

In the midst of all of this, I want you to know that we have not forgotten about you, our pass holders. I have read your emails and comments on social media. I completely understand your frustrations and your concerns about this past season.

We deeply value the loyalty you have placed with us by purchasing one of our pass products and we are committed to identifying an approach that acknowledges this past season and retains your loyalty for the future. I ask for your continued patience and understanding as we remain focused on the real-time challenges that COVID-19 is currently presenting to our employees, our communities and our company. And with many different pass products, we want to ensure that any action takes into consideration all of our pass holders.

We intend to reach back out to you with more information by the end of April. In the meantime, we are deferring all auto-renew charges and all spring deadlines for Buddy Tickets into May.

We sincerely hope that all of you, your friends and your loved ones remain safe during this unprecedented time and that the world comes together to move past the challenges we currently face.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m glad they made this move but they really had little choice imo.
Phil and I are in a tricky situation with our Epic Passes. Which we didn't even come close to breaking even this year because the events we covered didn't include Vail Resorts as much as they have in the past.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Phil and I are in a tricky situation with our Epic Passes, which we didn't even come close to breaking even this year because the events we covered didn't include Vail Resorts as much as they have in the past.

I did but not by a lot. I ski the most during spring (due to work and family commitments) but honestly during this crisis skiing has been way back in regards to priorities. I am sure Epic and Ikon will make good eventually. This crisis has just affected everyone so like others they will want to kickstart their business as soon as possible. If they (Ikon and Epic) sell next year's passes at 50% off I think I would buy.

Reactions: BC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and I are in a tricky situation with our Epic Passes, which we didn't even come close to breaking even this year because the events we covered didn't include Vail Resorts as much as they have in the past.
Come close? You used yours once...and I didn't at all.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Too much Mt. Rose?
Not really. But consider that last year I got 90 days and Phil got well over 100.
This year I'm sitting at 55, Phil at 66.
We get a ton of VR skiing in the spring, including the Hall of Fame events which were held at Park City last year and were supposed to be at Sun Valley this year.

We also skied Breck last spring after May at A-Basin.
This year was just odd for the events we covered, in that many of the things that are usually held at VR locations weren't this year, or were cancelled late in the season.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I didnt start skiing until mid-january so I think I skied maybe 12-15 days in total. I'll take anything they give me and with a smile. This is not easy for them either. Everyone likes to point fingers at the big Co's but they are struggling with this too. Lets give them a little time to sort things out.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didnt start skiing until mid-january so I think I skied maybe 12-15 days in total. I'll take anything they give me and with a smile. This is not easy for them either. Everyone likes to point fingers at the big Co's but they are struggling with this too. Lets give them a little time to sort things out.
I can't imagine how much they're losing on the bottom line with this.
Not just VR but all of them.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I can't imagine how much they're losing on the bottom line with this.
Not just VR but all of them.

Well, imagine how much they would have lost in the old days when they only sold regular season passes in advance. They took in a fortune with Epic and Ikon passes long before the season started.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of Vail Resorts' biggies, Whistler, had a very slow opening with little but man-made snow on a handful of runs, now this early closure. Everyone lost money there...ownership, hotels & shops, employees.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I missed out on using my Epic Pass at Whistler during the spring as I had planned. Otherwise, a dozen or so times at Stevens, once at Park City and once at Snowbasin. So not a total loss, still worth it, but I could easily forego it next season. Maybe I'll consider an Edge Card if the are still going to do those for BC/WA/OR residents.

Again, we are all assuming that more-or-less normal operations will resume for next season.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I expect they will do something along the lines or offering a 20% off renewal rate for 2019/20 pass holders.

It is a number that fits with the new Epic Rewards program, and reflects loosing about 1/5th of the ski season for many

I am glad they said something. And it seems like they hit the right tone.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not expecting a refund or some such from my season Passes. it’s not the resorts decision to close, and they are hurting for money as a result.
What I would ask that they extend the early bird discounts for ,icy longer, to give people time to figure out the economic and health situation.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I expect they will do something along the lines or offering a 20% off renewal rate for 2019/20 pass holders.

I highly doubt we're going to see 20% off. My guess is an extra $50 off (about 8% on the base pass) and similar to a renewal discount on Ikon, or perks like extra buddy passes or something. The resorts are losing a ton of money on the closure, it wasn't really their choice to close, and I'm all but certain this is not legally obligated but more of a goodwill gesture. Don't expect anything big.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
it wasn't really their choice to close, and I'm all but certain this is not legally obligated but more of a goodwill gesture.
True, it wasn't their choice to close. I believe someone posted that they are asking the federal government to forgo lease payments for the rest of the year. If so ... they couldn't use a product they contracted for in the way they intended, so they want some financial consideration. Isn't that the same situation the passholders find themselves in? I hope that their request regarding lease payments was made, in part, to share that goodwill with the passholders.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I highly doubt we're going to see 20% off. My guess is an extra $50 off (about 8% on the base pass) and similar to a renewal discount on Ikon, or perks like extra buddy passes or something. The resorts are losing a ton of money on the closure, it wasn't really their choice to close, and I'm all but certain this is not legally obligated but more of a goodwill gesture. Don't expect anything big.
I am expecting something big. Largely because I think the “buy a season pass early” model is going to take a big hit.

With massive unemployment, travel uncertainty, infection uncertainty come next winter,...if they want people to lock in they are going to need to offer something like 20% off.

On a $1000 Epic Pass that is rolling back the price what, 5 years? On a Local it drops to $583, a cheap Keystone plus drops less than $100.

$2 Trillion Stimulus, stay at home orders, thousands dead,...CO state guidance is expecting bigger economic impact than 2008 financial crisis.

This probably is not going to be small steps impact. This is more likely to be something that will reshape the industry.

Sponsor