• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vail Resorts, INC. takeover results

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Word on the street is that Vail is looking to fill 600 job openings at Okemo. Everyone who wants a job in Vermont already has one.
A bit off topic, but GIS, in your infinite wisdom, what do you think the weather will be like this weekend? I'm in for heading up even if a bit of rain and wind, but my ski partner is sometimes picky.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
A bit off topic, but GIS, in your infinite wisdom, what do you think the weather will be like this weekend? I'm in for heading up even if a bit of rain and wind, but my ski partner is sometimes picky.
Perfect sweet cold that has settled for December will turn a little milder. I just get up every day and ski so I really never bother watching the weather. Before retiring I would catch up on the weather at work were we had our own paid weather forecasters and ran our own weather program using IBM Watson. Hard to turn on the TV and get past all the crap to listen to the weather. Only time the weather affected us last season was that Saturday in Jan were Killington was closed due to cold weather. In my world you just get out and deal with the elements.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well that explains it. I have no need to park up there.
Not sure why you would want to park there either...

I haven't skied Okemo in about 4 or 5 seasons but used to ski there every year and park at JG a lot. Why? Park closer to lodge, much less crowded lodge, Avoid the zoo that getting up the mountain from the main lodge can be on busy weekends. The only drawback is if you are heading south on 100 after skiing. It takes forever to get past the main Okemo entrance in Ludlow.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's the fact that VR sells 900k passes that causes me great concern. I believe I'll be shopping for a new mountain next season.
Monopolies don't interest me in the least and I certainly don't want to feed the monster.

Makes sense!

But no need to worry that Vail or anyone else is taking over the ski industry. Last time I checked Vail owned 15 mountains - there are over 425 mountains you can ski at in the US alone.

Btw, it's also a fact that Vail has invested over $1.2 billion in the mountains in less than 10 years to the benefit of many communities,small businesses, job seekers, industry,...

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Smuggs will fall soon, still no word on Jay.

Smuggs by next year is what my little familiar spies are telling me. Lots of higher up Vail Resort activity going on over there this year, just like Stowe prior to take over.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perfect sweet cold that has settled for December will turn a little milder. I just get up every day and ski so I really never bother watching the weather. Before retiring I would catch up on the weather at work were we had our own paid weather forecasters and ran our own weather program using IBM Watson. Hard to turn on the TV and get past all the crap to listen to the weather. Only time the weather affected us last season was that Saturday in Jan were Killington was closed due to cold weather. In my world you just get out and deal with the elements.

Yeah, as long as it isn't pouring or super frigid I'm good, but my ski bud was concerned. Thanks.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Word on the street is that Vail is looking to fill 600 job openings at Okemo. Everyone who wants a job in Vermont already has one.

Sounds about right. Major shortage at Stowe too. Never been a problem before. Not this bad anyway.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, as long as it isn't pouring or super frigid I'm good, but my ski bud was concerned. Thanks.
Didn't warm up today as much as predicted (only upper teens at close). Prediction is for some showers late Friday into early Saturday. Sunday looks good. Not terrible overall.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sounds about right. Major shortage at Stowe too. Never been a problem before. Not this bad anyway.

Vermont reported an unemployment rate below 3% for the 14th consecutive month in October. The Vermont Department of Labor said employers in many industries are having a hard time filling jobs.

Killington has about 1,600 in the winter and now about 10% are from foreign countries. Sugarbush has increased the number foreign workers from zero in 2015 to 70 this year.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
What do you guys like for ski bum lodging near Stowe? Focused there as I have an epic pass. Staying at Grey Fox Inn for first trip this year....seems pretty legit.

Stayed at Grey Fox for one of my visits last year. Liked it quite a bit. Rooms are renovated, good pool and hot tub, decent gym, and the dutch pancake house rocks. But breakfast is definitely not "ski bum" priced.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
VR doesn't offer a living wage. Then they offer a cheap pass- why on earth would anyone work for them?

Perhaps you should ask one of the 14,500 employees (the median salary of a Vail employee is $33,000 annually, not including benefits).

Btw, that should be a great thing, right? You get a job somewhere else where you make way more money and then you buy a cheap VR season pass :)

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Perhaps you should ask one of the 14,500 employees (the median salary of a Vail employee is $33,000 annually, not including benefits).

Btw, that should be a great thing, right? You get a job somewhere else where you make way more money and then you buy a cheap VR season pass :)

You are kidding, right? I wouldn't want to survive on $33k a year. I guess they expect you sleep in your car and get your meals out of dumpsters and trash cans??? Not gonna make your wife and kids happy either... :rolleyes:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Makes sense!

But no need to worry that Vail or anyone else is taking over the ski industry. Last time I checked Vail owned 15 mountains - there are over 425 mountains you can ski at in the US alone.
Vail: Hold my beer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Smuggs will fall soon, still no word on Jay.

Smuggs by next year is what my little familiar spies are telling me. Lots of higher up Vail Resort activity going on over there this year, just like Stowe prior to take over.
Called this when the bought Stowe. Vail is all about skiable acres in advertising. Stowe + Smuggs + 25 or so acres = Most skiable acreage in the east. It will happen. Lke Park City & Canyons being connected, Stowe & Smuggs will also be some day (soon).

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Permitting a connection, at least a connecting lift {which is pretty essential} is going to be an absolute B**** to get through the state of VT. My prediction is tremendous opposition, no matter how much sense it makes for the economy in that part of the state.

However, Smuggs is a perfect opportunity. Great terrain, Great terrain that could be further developed. Some of the best tree skiing in the country. When I was a kid, and we had a ski house in Stowe for many, many years, we'd make and adventure of riding up the chair on Big Spruce, skiing over the pond to then ski down at Smuggs. If it was really good, Dad would spring for a couple of books of single chair rides and we might make six runs or so. Some times we's ski down, ride back up, hike back to Spruce and ski down.

The last time I was at Smuggs was about 8-10 years ago, the last time that St. Mikes hosted an NCAA carnival there, and I think the last season they hosted their FIS SL series. It was "tired" then. But Madonna, the mountain itself is very special. I could see new lifts, a BUNCH of new condos, Hotel{s} and such. With it being linked by a lift to Stowe.

Might be a very attractive venture for VR......if they get get the permit. It will have a LOT more appeal, IMO, with the right lift plan. Lot of tree huggers that will fight it. Many in the State House, I believe. Of course time and money often solves those things!

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Permitting a connection, at least a connecting lift {which is pretty essential} is going to be an absolute B**** to get through the state of VT. My prediction is tremendous opposition, no matter how much sense it makes for the economy in that part of the state.

However, Smuggs is a perfect opportunity. Great terrain, Great terrain that could be further developed. Some of the best tree skiing in the country. When I was a kid, and we had a ski house in Stowe for many, many years, we'd make and adventure of riding up the chair on Big Spruce, skiing over the pond to then ski down at Smuggs. If it was really good, Dad would spring for a couple of books of single chair rides and we might make six runs or so. Some times we's ski down, ride back up, hike back to Spruce and ski down.

The last time I was at Smuggs was about 8-10 years ago, the last time that St. Mikes hosted an NCAA carnival there, and I think the last season they hosted their FIS SL series. It was "tired" then. But Madonna, the mountain itself is very special. I could see new lifts, a BUNCH of new condos, Hotel{s} and such. With it being linked by a lift to Stowe.

Might be a very attractive venture for VR......if they get get the permit. It will have a LOT more appeal, IMO, with the right lift plan. Lot of tree huggers that will fight it. Many in the State House, I believe. Of course time and money often solves those things!

Alterra will buy Smuggs ;)