• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vail Resorts, INC. takeover results

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have had a Vail Resorts pass for my Colorado vacation for over a dozen years. I LIKE the hand RFID scanning at Keystone and Breck. Very fast, and if you have a problem, it doesn't jam up that line. The new gates at Killington seem to work OK, but I had a couple of times when it took maybe 10 seconds or more for it to read. Saw others having the same issue.

I agree. Having people scanning actually seems faster (or at least not noticeably slower) and certainly much less prone to having issues that create bottlenecks and adds another point of help/information for people.

And, it is a means by which to create jobs. Perhaps not great jobs, but jobs nonetheless.

James

Out There
Instructor
You have to pay to park at Okemo now? I haven't been in 4 or 5 years.
No, you don't but they've had "Vip" parking for several years now. It would only be worth it if you come late on a very crowded day.
Bruce Schmidt is gone. That is unfortunate, I like Bruce and he was a straight shooter. Now he is @ Sunapee.
Well... I suppose things could always get worse but maybe now we'll have fallen dead trees, tires, old lift tower bases, removed from trails in a somewhat timely manner. Plus some sort of trail maintenance/improvement that they've had an allergy to.

Okemo has had Starbucks available for years. I would expect food costs to go through the roof though. Next year?
They seem to have not taken the Stowe approach for the first year though and jumped right in with personnel changes.

Volunteer patrol will likely be gone next year, this year Vail doesn't cover liability for volunteers. Don't know how many will balk at that. They have to get it from the NSP and the Good Samaritan Law. Patrollers and first aid workers who were MD's are gone now because Vail doesn't allow them to touch clients. All they can do is advise or train.
Okemo's previous patrol setup was all volunteer on weekends except supervisors and paid during the week.
I guess Stowe had all paid so it wasn't an issue.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I hate wearing the blue uniforms :(
Bulky, impermeable, stiff, and ungodly heavy.
This is me suiting up in my VR uniform last Christmas.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well that explains it. I have no need to park up there.
Not sure why you would want to park there either...
There's paid parking available, but not required. If one is going west on Rte103 or North on 100 after skiing you could save 20-30min on crowded days by parking at Jackson.

Currently, the parking bears no resemblance to Vail's parking situation in CO. Whether it'll still be that way by Xmas I don't know.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's paid parking available, but not required. If one is going west on Rte103 or North on 100 after skiing you could save 20-30min on crowded days by parking at Jackson.

Currently, the parking bears no resemblance to Vail's parking situation in CO. Whether it'll still be that way by Xmas I don't know.

SHHHHHHHHH let them go to the other side of the tracks...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure why you would want to park there either...
Because we came from that direction. If we went to the main lot, we would have to pass it on the way.

James is right. Plus a much nicer lodge that is never crowded.

SHHHHHHHHH let them go to the other side of the tracks...
Makes no difference to me...I am not sure if I can ever make it back to Okemo. ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Plus a much nicer lodge [Jackson Gore] that is never crowded
Ha! That's a laugh.
Btw, apparently people getting passes have mobbed the pass/ticket line most of the week. Sunapee is not open, Stowe is too far, so everyone goes to Okemo to get their pass. Never seen so many people day after Tgiving.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Ha! That's a laugh.
Btw, apparently people getting passes have mobbed the pass/ticket line most of the week. Sunapee is not open, Stowe is too far, so everyone goes to Okemo to get their pass. Never seen so many people day after Tgiving.

They are promising to mail mine to me...
We'll see how that goes :huh:

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
So parking is paid at Stowe or nay? Going for first time this year looking for info. Where's the best place to park? Same at Okemo

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
So parking is paid at Stowe or nay? Going for first time this year looking for info. Where's the best place to park? Same at Okemo

Stowe has free parking. There's basically only one place to park. You'll come down Rt. 108 until it basically ends (there's a closed gate as the road ahead is not maintained for winter travel) and take a left (the only way you can go). You can park in the huge lot in front of you or you can follow the signs to the gondola parking lots off to your right. Boot up in one of the lodges or in your car and head to the lifts.

I haven't been to Okemo in many years, so I can't comment on the parking situation there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been to Okemo in many years, so I can't comment on the parking situation there.

Well I've never been to Stowe, but can comment on Okemo.

Okemo is free parking in the large lot at the main base of the resort road. If that fills, there are lots further down the hill that they run a shuttle from. Okemo also has a secondary base on the "Jackson-Gore" side, that has (I think) free and paid parking, but I've never parked over there. If you get there before the lifts start spinning, you should wind up in the main lot.

Here's the main base (green pointer), with the main lot right below it. The other lots are further down the road.

upload_2018-11-27_18-12-5.png

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
If you feel like you really need to pay for parking at Stowe, there is a paid lot somewhere at Spruce. Vail doesn't own it, so Vail is not charging for parking.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
What do you guys like for ski bum lodging near Stowe? Focused there as I have an epic pass. Staying at Grey Fox Inn for first trip this year....seems pretty legit.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So far the 'new management' hasn't even managed to get me my seasons pass which was promised weeks ago..
And I'm not the least bit surprised... :doh:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Like. I only liked it because you are not surprised, not because they have dropped the ball on your pass!

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
So far the 'new management' hasn't even managed to get me my seasons pass which was promised weeks ago..
And I'm not the least bit surprised... :doh:

Vail sells over 900,000 season passes so there are likely to be some screw-ups :rolleyes:. I've had no problem with either Vail or Stowe management - all our passes have worked perfectly and everyone has been very helpful/knowledgeable...

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Vail sells over 900,000 season passes so there are likely to be some screw-ups :rolleyes:. I've had no problem with either Vail or Stowe management - all our passes have worked perfectly and everyone has been very helpful/knowledgeable...

It's the fact that VR sells 900k passes that causes me great concern. I believe I'll be shopping for a new mountain next season.
Monopolies don't interest me in the least and I certainly don't want to feed the monster.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Word on the street is that Vail is looking to fill 600 job openings at Okemo. Everyone who wants a job in Vermont already has one.

Sponsor

Staff online