• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup, the chances of getting projects started and completed is low. And if you are replacing an existing lift, any delays could mean you dont have a lift next season, so an easy and common sense decision.

Plus from a cash-flow perspective without early season pass sales, borrowings and cost - would shoot up. So a very smart management decision.

Also from a cash flow management perspective look at the other moves:

Other steps revealed today include the furlough of nearly all year-round hourly employees, suspension of the company’s shareholder dividend, salary reductions for non-hourly employees and elimination of cash compensation for the CEO and board of directors.

So, sharing pain all round. TBH I can not fault them for all these moves. Very much in line with what I would have recommended. Conserve cash, stay solvent and basically put everything on hold for a year till the picture becomes clearer. Smart moves!
From Vail Daily

Brian_in_MA

Booting up
Skier
Where did you see that??
From Killington's COVID-19 FAQ page:

What is the status of Killington’s New K-1 Lodge Project?
Construction of the new lodge has been suspended in response to Vermont Governor Phil Scott’s “Stay at Home” order, which is currently in place through at least April 15. With construction interrupted and the completion timeline uncertain, the removal of the existing K-1 Lodge has been postponed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been wondering how this affects Saddleback (Maine) and their planned re-opening this coming winter. They had plans to replace a chairlift and other maintenance projects from several years of neglect.
Somewhat different given the big difference in the owners.. but Timberline thus far is still plowing ahead with putting in their new lifts. I guess it really depends on the state rules, and the funding stream.

James

Out There
Instructor
The article mentions the bubble chair that was going to be installed at Okemo and it got me thinking. Who in this new world we're suddenly living in is going to want to ride with the bubble down, trapping all those germs?
Heh, last day of skiing we didn’t put the bubble down.
What I heard about the lift was Jackson Gore 4 person bubble was going to be put where the Green Ridge is, and extended down to Mountain Road. Very good idea to extend it.
The Green ridge fixed very slow triple is a lift of last resort when it’s very crowded. Extending it down will make a significant change in how you ski the mountain.

The 4 bubble at Gore would be replaced by a 6 person non-bubble. Supposedly because of wind issues with the bubbles. Whether all that is really true, don’t know.

I've been wondering how this affects Saddleback (Maine) and their planned re-opening this coming winter. They had plans to replace a chairlift and other maintenance projects from several years of neglect.
Oh goodness. Certainly delays becoming the premier resort in North America.
Saddleback and Magic need a support group.

From Killington's COVID-19 FAQ page:

What is the status of Killington’s New K-1 Lodge Project?
Construction of the new lodge has been suspended in response to Vermont Governor Phil Scott’s “Stay at Home” order, which is currently in place through at least April 15. With construction interrupted and the completion timeline uncertain, the removal of the existing K-1 Lodge has been postponed.
I suppose it’s good the demo party was cancelled.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And Killington has put a hold on the construction of the new K1 Lodge, which puts it in doubt for the Women's WC races over Thanksgiving weekend. If those still come off as scheduled...
Interesting-when we were there on 3/14 (which was the last day) I pointed out the "countdown clock" for the demolition of the existing lodge to my wife. I assume they did not tear it down as planned?

Edit-didn't see @James's post............

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I expect other resorts will also postpone 2020 lift construction.

Given that there will not be a Covid-19 vaccine in time for the 2021 season, I think that retrofitting plexiglass panels between chairlift seats would be a priority.

Of course with the Big Sky 8 pack, just put one person in seat #1 and another in seat #8 and you are good to go, bubble up or down. Elsewhere if plexiglass retro fit doesn't work then it could be one person per chair. This might not create big lineups because there may not be many people skiing in 2021.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I think this is a sign of resorts insulating themselves against a challenging economy plus the possibility of prolonged closures and/or restrictions on how they operate in the future. With so many being laid off or furloughed plus the stock market in a tail spin, many are going to have to prioritize basic essentials over luxuries like skiing. Even if all the restrictions are lifted I think many will be hesitant to travel or engage in activities where there is a chance of exposure out of an abundance of caution. Finally there is always a chance that we could have a second pop in the fall that requires additional closures/social distancing.

Simply put the next 12-18 month will be financially challenging for most resorts. This may also be an opportunity for Vail and Altera to acquire additional resorts at bargain prices, so preserving cash flow is going to be important for both these reasons.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Vail’s cancellation should also be contrasted with Aspen’s proclamation.

Vail is cancelling lifts, but may still pursue other options.

Aspen is pushing ahead optimistically. But there was only one lift project mentioned, and the construction window could close and they could save money without an official “cancel.”

Vail is being proactive and behaving like it has shareholders. Aspen just has abetter PR setup here. Both could end up at the same place by summers end, but with narratives of half empty vs half full.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
This just reminds me Vail just spend a ton to buy a bunch of resorts in the northeast, which all had to close early and with no summer program.

If all mountain lose money due to the shortened season, Vail loses a lot more simply because it owns more mountains.

I’m kind of skeptical they’ll be inclined to pick up any more “bargains” any time soon.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Those resorts in the Northeast didn't really lose that much of their season. The ones in PA and below, how long were they expected to stay open? I actually find it odd that they are expecting such a big revenue hit when the passes were paid for a year ago and the season was close to over. Maybe a big part of the revenue hit is uncertainty about next year's pass sales.

Oh, and plexi glass panels between skiers on lifts - I doubt it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Oh, and plexi glass panels between skiers on lifts - I doubt it.
Yeah, you are probably right as plexiglass chair dividers would create way too many chair loading problems for way too many skiers...Ok mandatory ski masks.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Big Sky cancelled the Swifty replacement for 2020. Said they wouldn't risk it not being open the first day of the season. Wise decision I think.

Sponsor