• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vail Resorts Announces Plans for 2020/21 Ski and Snowboard Season with Comprehensive Focus on Safety

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just confirming because you guys are all smarter than me.....I can get a refund for my 20-21 Epic Local/College passes that I already purchased?/put 49.00 down on? Did I read that right?

If so, I’d be interested in getting a refund for wife/kids...cuz they don’t go as often as me....and probably too much hassle to plan for them.
Yes you can get a refund, but there is small window of time to do it in. Go to epic.com and on the front pg there was a button for passes.
Just confirming because you guys are all smarter than me.....I can get a refund for my 20-21 Epic Local/College passes that I already purchased?/put 49.00 down on? Did I read that right?

If so, I’d be interested in getting a refund for wife/kids...cuz they don’t go as often as me....and probably too much hassle to plan for them.

From their FAQ.
Q: I bought my Epic Pass before the reservation system was announced, can I get a refund?
A: Yes, you may request a refund for the net price paid for your pass and, if you have a 2019/20 pass holder credit, it will no longer be valid. Refunds must be requested by September 17, 2020. You can submit a refund request starting on September 1, 2020.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes you can get a refund, but there is small window of time to do it in. Go to epic.com and on the front pg there was a button for passes.
From their FAQ.
Q: I bought my Epic Pass before the reservation system was announced, can I get a refund?
A: Yes, you may request a refund for the net price paid for your pass and, if you have a 2019/20 pass holder credit, it will no longer be valid. Refunds must be requested by September 17, 2020. You can submit a refund request starting on September 1, 2020.

They are no longer calling the Epic Pass "Unlimited Skiing". They removed all the references to unlimited. They are now calling the Epic Pass "Access All-Season Long" and "Priority Access". They had to offer a refund to those that bought prior to the reservation system announcement, because they changed the product they sold previously. It is not unlimited when you have to make a reservation and may not be able to get one. I could imagine an enterprising attorney setting up a class action lawsuit for breach of contract\agreement if they didn't offer that refund.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
this is exactly what my wife said immediately after reading that section. They might need to implement some kind of cancellation methodology if you can't make the reservation you have 24 hours prior to cancel it. then, you could have a separate sign-up section for free slots within 24 hours. However, if you dont show for more than 2 days per month (random thought) you are locked out for a week or 2. my prediction is that unless its a powder day, the mountains will get pretty empty by 11:00 on week days.

I'd actually be quite harsh - 2 no shows and you'll be suspended a week, 2 more it's a month, 2 more it's the season. Life can happen and cause the odd no show but it shouldn't be systematic. Maybe a reset on the low tariff after a period of time.

Waive no shows for known events like major I 70 shutdowns etc.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd actually be quite harsh - 2 no shows and you'll be suspended a week, 2 more it's a month, 2 more it's the season. Life can happen and cause the odd no show but it shouldn't be systematic. Maybe a reset on the low tariff after a period of time.

Waive no shows for known events like major I 70 shutdowns etc.

While I would have no problems with a system like that, there's probably a lot of legalese involved in setting up those "penalty" conditions. They are not part of the "Terms and Conditions" of the pass product they are currently selling or sold prior to the announcement. Changing the terms after the sale would expose them to claims/lawsuits of breach of the terms and conditions and may have to start offering refunds and/credits (again).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's an idea for a gentle no show policy that would still encourage folks to cancel: if you don't show, for the following week you can only make reservations six days out instead of seven, so you are at the back of the line.

Just a couple lines of code. Famous last words!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just a couple lines of code. Famous last words!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Think about all of the resorts Vail has purchased. Then think about all of the propriatary computer systems each had...none talk to each other. Some of their systems are still running on DOS. It is such a mess.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
In the FAQ:

Q: What if I do not ski or ride on the day of my reservation?
A:
If you no longer plan to use your reservation, you may cancel the reservation by 12:00 am of your planned ski date. The earlier you cancel your reservation, the more likely that a fellow skier or rider will be able to use your spot to enjoy the mountain. You will be able to cancel your reservation by going online at epicpass.com or on our resort sites in your "My Account" profile.

We reserve the right to restrict the ability of the pass holder to make future reservations if the reservation system is being abused or manipulated in any way.

If you are feeling sick or experiencing symptoms, please cancel your reservation and do not visit our resorts for the safety of our guests and employees.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
and what does that mean? Since Im local and plan to ski every weekday, if I reserve every week day is that considered abusing the system?
I would think if you ski when you say you will it would be OK.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
and what does that mean? Since Im local and plan to ski every weekday, if I reserve every week day is that considered abusing the system?
I would interpret that as if you're using computer programs or computer scripts or sites to sign up/cancel reservations in an automated fashion. In order glean out the internal data and/or benefit from utilizing such automated/grouped mechanism to get early preference or data that is not available to everyone.

Last edited:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would think if you ski when you say you will it would be OK.

Yeah, that would be my assumption as well.

However if (when) people do try and game the system by making and cancelling reservations so that they have the flexibility to ski whenever they want without figuring out their plans, I think that line in the FAQ should probably serve as their warning. No one but Vail knows yet how they're going to enforce that, and they probably don't know yet either. But I think you can assume that they'll be paying close attention to reservation/cancellation/no-show patterns.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Like @Andy Mink said - reserve days and ski most of those days, not abuse.

If you just reserve every day because you might ski, I think that would be abuse.

Some people are just jerks. They could do their one trip for the year and clog the reservation system for all the other days. "I can't ski so neither can you!"

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that would be my assumption as well.

However if (when) people do try and game the system by making and cancelling reservations so that they have the flexibility to ski whenever they want without figuring out their plans, I think that line in the FAQ should probably serve as their warning. No one but Vail knows yet how they're going to enforce that, and they probably don't know yet either. But I think you can assume that they'll be paying close attention to reservation/cancellation/no-show patterns.

There was some guy who signed up for 365 starbucks accounts so he could have a free "birthday" coffee every day.
Additionally there was a story about a guy who bought a fully refundable 1st class airline ticket so he could access the airport lounge service, but would never take the flight and reschedule the ticket every day.

If you're doing stuff like that, then yes it would be abuse.

I think if you had honest good-faith intentions to ski every day you reserved you can sleep OK at night. But keep in mind season's going to be a mess even if everyone is acting in good-faith and don't take it too seriously if things don't turn out or some people end up winners while you lose out.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
  • While still subject to change, at this time we do not believe pass holders will need a reservation to access our partner resorts (Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, Hakuba or Rusutsu).
  • Lift tickets (including Buddy and SWAF tickets) will go on sale on Dec. 8, with sales limited based on the number of spaces available for any given day after our exclusive pass holder reservation period. This season, lift tickets will be sold with a reservation for a specific resort on a specific date.
  • Given the need to manage lift tickets sales, they will only be sold on our websites and through our call centers. No lift tickets will be sold at the ticket window in resort – you may only pickup your pre-purchased lift ticket at our ticket windows.
  • We will be encouraging guests to purchase in advance – though guests can purchase a same day lift ticket online or through our call centers, subject to availability, and then pick up the lift ticket at the ticket window.
That makes me so angry that they are making the assumption that these areas will not need a reservation. Great, just great. Snowbasin has already been overrun by Epic pass holders.

I'm going to also just plan to book every day IF that's what happens here. I hope it does. This is also added motivation to continue distance learning for my daughter. We'll reserve days, ski, then school at home in the afternoon. Gotta make the best of a crazy situation. Otherwise, I'll be involved in the insanity of trying to reserve Saturdays and Sundays for her.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is difficult to know the impacts without knowing the capacity limits and whether the reservation system can handle the volume. I am hoping for minimal impact at Sun valley (no plans announced yet), with our relatively low crowds and somewhat remote location helping.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I agree, it will be a "every man for himself" situation. There a no friends in powder days this season. Unless there's some form of no show penalty, while the mountain could be sold out, there could be few people actually skiing even on week days (like the A-basin reopening). Heck, if that's what it comes down to, while I can ski only one midweek-day per week, I'll book as many as I can every week, since I don't know which one will work out for me. The ironic thing is that the daily skiers are not what makes the resorts money, but they will also be blocking the mountain from generating income too. Everyone will be preparing their gaming strategy.

The No Show penalty is KEY!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think it would be pretty easy to set up a program that compares reservations made to pass scans on the hill. If you get more than X days missed reservations, you get penalized unless you call ahead or cancel in enough time for others to fill that spot.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I read quickly but thought that we have 7 days of reservation possible and when these days are used you can book others. If someone does 7 no show he can't reserve a day anymore.

Skiing in tahoe during weekdays should be fine, even with a lot of people working remotely. Last year, everytime I went there was almost no queue at the chairlift.

Sponsor

Staff online