• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Vail Resort Recommendations For Early April?

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
My family & I have the Tahoe local pass and are thinking of doing a spring break trip to wrap up the season. The pass gives us 5 days at the Colorado Vail resorts so I'm idly wondering if it'd be worth making the trip. Is it generally accepted wisdom that places like Breckenridge/Keystone will ski better in early April that the Tahoe resorts? I imagine the higher elevations are a big help, and the 10 day forecasts are looking a bit more favorable too FWIW. How bad are the crowds likely to be?

Any input welcome.

cheers,
Peter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have skied Vail on closing weekend a few years ago and it was awesome. Does your pass cover A-Basin? If so, that is a safe failsafe. I don't think the crowds will be too bad, IMHO, you should go. Do it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What sorts of terrain are you comfortable skiing? If you are comfortable on double black terrain, Breck's upper mountain is fantastic. A Basin has a higher base elevation, so it's a stronger bet if you're more interested in blues and blacks. While Breck is still open, A Basin will be less crowded. The rest of the places are lower base and summit elevation, so they are more affected by temps.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have skied Vail on closing weekend a few years ago and it was awesome. Does your pass cover A-Basin? If so, that is a safe failsafe. I don't think the crowds will be too bad, IMHO, you should go. Do it.
I ski the last weekend at Vail almost every year. The snow is usually fine (and quite often unbelievably good). But it is ALWAYS a blast.
Where else can you see 40-50 people in cow suits all in one place?
At least I think they are people.
;)

TS
peterm

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks all, overall it sounds like a decent option. Not sure if we'll go yet, but nice to have the additional info.
(Philpug: Yes, the pass covers A-basin. Monique: we tend to avoid double blacks - skiing single blacks with some degree of competence/style is challenging enough :)

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
We are Vail closing weekend regulars. Last 3 years there has been fresh snow sometime during that weekend Other times is fun/sun. We've had as many powder days as spring days it seems over the years.

Chair 5 can be a little, ahem, "crowded" - I avoid it unless really early. But the only time it's been just silly was when Snoop played, people were parking on I-70 shoulder

Closing weekend is early this year - we will be there for sure

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You could stay in Frisco and ski a different mtn every day.;) Last year I was in Summit County, CO for 30 straight days, finishing on Apr 1 and skiing around the Vail resorts. Breck held up the best on that occasion.

Sponsor